• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daniel Carr Madison County Coin Club Medal
1 1

53 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2023 at 9:43 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Where did I say I decide what people collect? Please show me. Where did I say they can't collect it? Please show me. What I did say is I'd melt those coins. Send me some...watch me I'll make a YouTube video all about it.

I wouldn't melt them. I'd need to invest in a furnace. MCCC is the closest coin club to me, and they have used @dcarr for their (our?) coin medals for years. Dan's work is not everybody's cup o' tea (whose is?), but the MCCC likes his stuff. The MCCC was founded by Richard Josefiak, the lonnnnng time former Outreach Director from the ANA. Not a large club, but a high quality one. The members tend to be real live rocket scientists.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:43 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Where did I say I decide what people collect? Please show me. Where did I say they can't collect it? Please show me. What I did say is I'd melt those coins. Send me some...watch me I'll make a YouTube video all about it.

You wrote:

"The [dcarr] coins have no value to me. In fact I don't want them out there."

You don't want them out there, meaning that you don't want any available for anyone to collect (even if they wanted to).

On 10/31/2023 at 1:56 PM, dcarr said:

You wrote:

You don't want them out there, meaning that you don't want any available for anyone to collect (even if they wanted to).

And THERE is fact refuting a protestation of innocence. GUILTY!

On 11/11/2023 at 8:05 AM, numisport said:

Very nice collection of DCarr Peace Dollar overstrikes and appears to have nearly all (if not all) die pir offered. Do you own these coins ? 

Yes, the only ones I didn’t get that were being offered are any bulk handled or those that may have been made during his open houses. 

🐓  :  All this uproar, over what?

Q.A.:  That's why I toned things down.  I spoke up for Ratzie33, and was promptly excommunicated.  I stuck up for NevadaS&G for no other reason than feeling if a fellow member feels he got a raw deal, he's entitled to vent.  That got me deported to Vladivostok -- the last stop on the Trans-Siberian Railroad. They gave me a bowl of borscht, told me to sit down, and shut up.  

There're an awful lot of people with some very strong feelings on this Forum who, for lack of a better word, "vibrate" at a certain frequency. They are inflexible and view any manifestation of humor as a weakness and deviation.  A chink in the armor.  They won't yield. Not one inch.

My views on this topic (Carr/Fantasies/Squared Quarters) are well known.  I live in New York City where real crimes are committed.  It's going to take a lot more than artistic license to get me worked up.  I have no opinion on the products posted at the head of the thread.

My crowning achievement:  Getting one former member to direct his comment to my talking rooster 🐓  who responded prompting the member to demand a retraction! :roflmao: 

I'm really not that familiar with Dcarr's works, though we have sparred on other issues ATS.  I'm pretty much agnostic on what he does.

Are his works considered commemoratives ?  I would think not.

They're not NCLT, but I do really like some of the private-issue creations like the National Park Foundation Saint-Gaudens coins, silver and gold.  Kind of nice to see ASG's various designs and sketches come to life.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/11/2023 at 11:05 AM, numisport said:

Very nice collection of DCarr Peace Dollar overstrikes and appears to have nearly all (if not all) die pir offered. Do you own these coins ? 

For the uninformed....so he specializes in re-creating old favorites with minor changes (so as not to be accused of counterfeiting, I take it) -- do I have that right ?

On 1/21/2024 at 12:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

For the uninformed....so he specializes in re-creating old favorites with minor changes (so as not to be accused of counterfeiting, I take it) -- do I have that right ?

Dan has two main lines. 1) completely original designs, many of which are satirical, and 2) fantasy date over dates which resemble real designs but are ALTERED coins, because the “planchets” are actual coins of the base type but the over dates are dates that never existed. Because he uses actual coins, his work falls under the “altered coins” section of the counterfeiting statute, which requires “intent to deceive” as an element of the offense. No one EVER has attempted to prosecute what Dan does, because they can’t find a way to LEGALLY differentiate what Dan does from alterations such as elongates. 

On 10/31/2023 at 2:56 PM, dcarr said:

You wrote:

Is it just me or is anyone else waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one?

The last time a [consummate] gentleman challenged me to show him where he allegedly condemned my choice of topic, "Off-Topic," stating in substance, bestowing that caption doesn't make it any less so and if I had nothing of a numismatic nature to contribute, I should do it elsewhere, he dryly observed, in substance, being dismissive was by no means being condemnatory.  I am sad to say the [distinguised] member who addressed my talking rooster who declined to retract his response, posted his parting shot, "Outta here," departed, and was soon followed by the [consummate] "Off-Topic" gentleman.  Lore which suggests otherwise continues to circulate to this day.  I miss both members dearly and want everyone here to know while feathers were ruffled I steadfastly remain on good terms with everyone.  (worship)

On 1/21/2024 at 7:57 PM, VKurtB said:

..... No one EVER has attempted to prosecute what Dan does, because they can’t find a way to LEGALLY differentiate what Dan does from alterations such as elongates. 

That ain't it.  I think the real reason is two-fold:  a). the real fear of being told, by a sitting Federal district judge no less, that you've got to be pretty obtuse to be unable distinguish an authentic coin from a man's artistic flight of fancy; and the main one: the humiliation of being laughed out of, or thrown out of court, on a frivolous case lacking merit which never should have been brought in the first place. 

On 1/21/2024 at 7:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

That ain't it.  I think the real reason is two-fold:  a). the real fear of being told, by a sitting Federal district judge no less, that you've got to be pretty obtuse to be unable distinguish an authentic coin from a man's artistic flight of fancy; and the main one: the humiliation of being laughed out of, or thrown out of court, on a frivolous case lacking merit which never should have been brought in the first place. 

I don’t think our federal trial judiciary has any shame left at all at this point. None that I can discern, anyway. The federal trial judiciary is so chock full of political hacks that it has lost just about ALL credibility. You pretty much have to get to the Supreme Court of the United States level before you get to see anyone worthy of respect in this country’s judiciary. Even the Courts of Appeals are frequently cruel jokes these days. 

From what I have seen, he's clearly not trying to counterfeit -- his coins are like those round tokens that are given out at all kinds of venues, some plastic... some wood....some metal..

Not my cup of tea, but I think we have more evil criminals out there to worry about.  (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/21/2024 at 8:47 PM, VKurtB said:

I don’t think our federal trial judiciary has any shame left at all at this point. None that I can discern, anyway. The federal trial judiciary is so chock full of political hacks that it has lost just about ALL credibility. You pretty much have to get to the Supreme Court of the United States level before you get to see anyone worthy of respect in this country’s judiciary. Even the Courts of Appeals are frequently cruel jokes these days. 

Just completed my questionnaire for a Federal jury trial summons. I don't know how I could possibly keep a straight face during a federal trial knowing how deep the swamp really is ! What a joke. 

I've been called several times and have sat one local trial for State crimes but that is different I feel. I just don't think I could sit in front of a group of fruadsters at my expence just to render an opinion that is meaninless.

On 1/22/2024 at 10:58 AM, numisport said:

Just completed my questionnaire for a Federal jury trial summons. I don't know how I could possibly keep a straight face during a federal trial knowing how deep the swamp really is ! What a joke. 

I've been called several times and have sat one local trial for State crimes but that is different I feel. I just don't think I could sit in front of a group of fruadsters at my expence just to render an opinion that is meaninless.

I was the jury foreman on a federal criminal trial back in 1986. The federal courthouse in Philadelphia on Independence Mall, across from the Mint and the Liberty Bell, which was then still in Independence Hall. The judge was former Lt. Governor Raymond Broderick, and he spent the entire trial picking his teeth with a mangled paper clip. Two brothers were on trial for conspiracy to deliver meth. We acquitted one brother on all charges and convicted the other on a single related charge. There can’t be a conspiracy of one. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:58 AM, numisport said:

Just completed my questionnaire for a Federal jury trial summons. I don't know how I could possibly keep a straight face during a federal trial knowing how deep the swamp really is ! What a joke. I've been called several times and have sat one local trial for State crimes but that is different I feel. I just don't think I could sit in front of a group of fruadsters at my expence just to render an opinion that is meaninless.

If you want to get out of Jury Duty, just take Homer Simpsons' advice xD:

On 1/22/2024 at 1:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If you want to get out of Jury Duty, just take Homer Simpsons' advice xD:

My way's simpler.  In big bold red block letters, I print, R E F U S E D, diagonally across the envelope.  In black marker, I print, R.T.S. (Return to Sender) with an arrow pointing to the addressee. Works every time.

On 1/21/2024 at 8:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Is it just me or is anyone else waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one?

The last time a [consummate] gentleman challenged me to show him where he allegedly condemned my choice of topic, "Off-Topic," stating in substance, bestowing that caption doesn't make it any less so and if I had nothing of a numismatic nature to contribute, I should do it elsewhere, he dryly observed, in substance, being dismissive was by no means being condemnatory.  I am sad to say the [distinguised] member who addressed my talking rooster who declined to retract his response, posted his parting shot, "Outta here," departed, and was soon followed by the [consummate] "Off-Topic" gentleman.  Lore which suggests otherwise continues to circulate to this day.  I miss both members dearly and want everyone here to know while feathers were ruffled I steadfastly remain on good terms with everyone.  (worship)

...not so....

On 3/6/2024 at 5:28 PM, hkfears said:

Mr Carr gave to the club the 4 extra medals -- 2 in silver and 2 in copper.  Here is an example of one of the odd ("error") medals:

image.thumb.jpeg.8819c5107ee90bfdcbe557e84a8760c9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.36449baac79b745316ef5402e607cdbc.jpeg

You can see the others at the club's website http://mccc.anaclubs.org/ .

This is the valuable one. This is the one that leaves all the nattering nabobs of negativism dumbstruck. Not a murmer from anyone. Why? Because it is an ERROR!  Whoa!  It was accorded absolute immunity at birth. Now a formerly unacceptable medal is not only acceptable but fawned over.  So much so that it may be able to command a premium. I believe this ERROR was committed with calculated, premeditated malicious aforethought but either way, CARR has been vindicated by nothing more than an accidental sleight of hand. ERROR?  Don't be silly! T'was an accident... could've happened to anyone.  :makepoint:  doh!  :roflmao:  :facepalm:

On 1/21/2024 at 11:20 AM, Henri Charriere said:

They are inflexible and view any manifestation of humor as a weakness and deviation.

I protest sir. Yes, I am about as inflexible and doctrinaire as anyone here ever gets, but I am waaaaay into humor.