• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going through my friends parents' coins Morgan Dollars
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I am going through my buddies deceased parents coins they had. Clad silver IKE's and clad half dollars but came upon these two Morgan's. The dark one weighs 26.4 and the light one weighs 26.7

Are these real? How can you tell? Are the pictures good enough to give a basic grade by? I personally don't have any morgans. 

Also some odd ball things I think. Are these the things that are sold on info commercials? Last 3 pics. 

Lots of first day issue in a stamp collection was with this stuff. 

20231024_183016.jpg

20231024_183047.jpg

20231024_185102.jpg

20231024_185153.jpg

20231024_185306.jpg

As mentioned the Morgan dollars are worth about $30 each.

The coin in "official certificates" and other such holders and souvenir items sold by companies at inflated prices. The holders have no coin collector value and the coins are worth their face amount. Suggest you concentrate on other coins that are not in this kind of packaging. (But keep the coins in US Mint packaging separate.)

You are welcome to post photos of anything of interest here, but nearly all clad coins are just pocket change.

On 10/25/2023 at 10:06 AM, RWB said:

The coin in "official certificates" and other such holders and souvenir items sold by companies at inflated prices. The holders have no coin collector value and the coins are worth their face amount. Suggest you concentrate on other coins that are not in this kind of packaging. (But keep the coins in US Mint packaging separate.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166384173293?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vzf_viksqja&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=c-fotiubrf-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Wouldn't my George Washington coins be worth 50 times what this ad is worth? LOL  No I would never buy stuff like this package. Unless I could get it for less then $51. 

Tough to find a truthful statement in that auction. This might also be an indicator of the seller's knowledge:

"Mint Location --- Florida"

Offer the seller 50-cents for this "rare" coin....with prepaid postage.

On 10/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, edhalbrook said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166384173293?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vzf_viksqja&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=c-fotiubrf-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Wouldn't my George Washington coins be worth 50 times what this ad is worth? LOL  No I would never buy stuff like this package. Unless I could get it for less then $51. 

As you probably know there are plenty of rip off listing on ebay for ridiculous prices.  Now sold listings, that is a little more reliable tempered with the reality that occasionally someone is not really knowledgeable and gets fleeced.

Here is a grading reference that I have used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_coin_grading_scale

I grade my coins as I sell them on ebay.

Also, here are the documents that I use for recommended value and known varieties.

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

Here are methods to determine counterfeit silver coins.

(I have a magnet and a sensitive scale)

Fake Silver Coins: 14 Ways to Spot Counterfeits - Silver Coins

Edited by dprince1138

On 10/28/2023 at 6:06 PM, dprince1138 said:

Here is a grading reference that I have used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_coin_grading_scale

I grade my coins as I sell them on ebay.

Also, here are the documents that I use for recommended value and known varieties.

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

Here are methods to determine counterfeit silver coins.

(I have a magnet and a sensitive scale)

Fake Silver Coins: 14 Ways to Spot Counterfeits - Silver Coins

I grade my coins as I sell them ? What does that mean?  If it passes the 14 ways test is it ok to sell it ? I am so confused o.O

On 10/28/2023 at 11:20 AM, EagleRJO said:

As you probably know there are plenty of rip off listing on ebay for ridiculous prices.  Now sold listings, that is a little more reliable tempered with the reality that occasionally someone is not really knowledgeable and gets fleeced.

There is a bunch of those $2000 George Washington dollars. Funny. 

OUCH! Several big hits on the reverse. The O, E in ONE, the lowest arrow tip, and looks like a rim hit above the M in AMERICA. Lucky that's on a common O Morgan. Btw, that is not the micro O variety. I still think it would be in the lowest XF range.