• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 Penny. Someone must’ve a lot of time on their hands. Do you see what I see?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I see a stained circulated coin, pareidolia has let your mind see something that resembles a shape or object just as people see faces or shapes in their coffee.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, Coinbuf said:

I see a stained circulated coin ...

Agree.

And I think the op should put away the scope until it's really needed

On 10/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, Coinbuf said:

... pareidolia has let your mind see something that resembles a shape or object just as people see faces or shapes in their coffee.

Wait, so those clouds that look like angels are not real?  :insane:

Edited by EagleRJO

NEWSFLASH-----If you are searching for error coins with a coin microscope just be aware most errors need to be seen with the naked eye or up to only 5x magnification. The microscope is usually only used to attribute varieties and die markers/ types on some newer but mostly older worn coins. There are also other numismatic uses for a microscope but error hunting is not one of them.  Don't waste your time doing this. Read a book on error coins instead. 

I don't know which is worse...

Banksy's desecration of the Lincoln Memorial, or the army of presumably civilized vandals who descended on the General Grant National Monument (Grant's Tomb) and covered its perimeter walls with colored glass tiles.

The 1960 large date cent in the previous post was privately counterstamped with an outline of Arkansas. Such pieces were frequently offered as novelties at gift and souvenir shops in the 1960s and 1970s. One of the most popular was "Kennedy looks at Lincoln", where a small left facing outline of JFK's profile was stamped into the right obverse field. These altered coins are of little interest to collectors and have little or no premium value. 

If you're hoping to find anything of value or interest in pocket change, which is pretty unusual at any rate, you're looking in all the wrong places. You would do much better to learn which types, dates, mintmarks, and major varieties of coins are sought by collectors, how to grade them, and how to recognize actual mint errors. See the following topics for guidance in this regard:

The 1993 is in good shape albeit a ding on each side. Not worth the cost of submission though as Lincoln cents of this time period only get premium values when they grade above MS 67. 

The counterstamped date cent is one that was used as novelty or promotion by some coin companies in the 70's. I had the full 50 states + 1 nickel plated cent with the outline of the lower 48 states on it. Just a novelty to keep.

As for the one starting out the thread, the question in the title of the thread made me think of the Christmas song...

Said the night wind to the little lamb:
"Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb
Do you see what I see?
A star, a star, dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite
With a tail as big as a kite"