• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEWBIE LOOKING FOR GRADING OPTIONS ON THESE MORGAN SILVER DOLLARS THANKS
1 1

7 posts in this topic

These common date Morgan dollars (1881, 1883-O, and a 1921 of undetermined mint as there is no photo of the reverse) grade from Extremely Fine to About Uncirculated in details. The two earlier pieces appear to have unnaturally shiny surfaces, likely due to their having been polished or "cleaned". Even if uncleaned, they would have retail values of around $35-$40 each.

Assuming that you have already purchased an annual NGC membership with submission privileges, the NGC grading fee alone would be $23 each at the "Economy" tier for pre-1965 coins valued at no more than $300 each, to which would be added a $10 per order processing fee, a $28 return shipping fee, and your cost of shipping the coins to NGC. See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com). The coins appear to be housed in hard plastic capsules, which should adequately protect them. As is true of most coins, there is no good reason to submit them to a third-party grading service. 

FYI, here are photos of an 1881 Morgan dollar that NGC graded MS 63, an average uncirculated grade for these coins, with a current retail value around $100. Note the full details and frosty luster. I purchased this coin in its NGC holder many years ago. If the coin were uncertified, it would still not be financially worthwhile for me to submit it.

1881dollarobv..thumb.jpg.8e97bc93ed6e80a5e56441567540504a.jpg

1881dollarrev..thumb.jpg.43ede75f950a76d0eb34423a933ff524.jpg

The dollars submitted are ordinary Extremely Fine lightly circulated coins. They are worth silver value - or possibly they have family memories attached?

Hello and welcome!

If by options, you mean opinions, I will give my humble opinions. If you mean grading options, I would not submit any of these coins for grading.

1883 O - AU Details Cleaned

1881 (P) - XF Details Improperly Cleaned

1921 (?P?D?S?) - XF Details Cleaned (No reverse photo to say whether low end AU or not)