• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acquired off center to NW magum opus penny !
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

I have collected U.S. coins for over 50 years but don't recall having heard of a "magnum opus penny".  If you can provide the name of the grading service that "slabbed" it and the serial number on the holder, we should be able to view the description and any photos of this piece on that service's certification verification application.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:07 PM, RWB said:

Here's a link to an ebay listing and seller's photo:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234581357601

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.03ba2295b9de3def1b45719bd6b5fbc9.jpg

So we can request special names for coins through NGC ? This coin is a Masterpiece. Wow. Thanks Roger for finding that because we are always saying you can't make up your own fancy names for a coin. I guess you can....It is listed only as a error. https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6566572-454/Other/

Edited by J P M

The "Magnum Opus" label is likely some dealer's marketing gimmick and has nothing to do with the coin itself.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, CoinfinderDave said:

how do I tell if it’s copper or zinc since it’s slabbed up already???? 

If your coin is a Lincoln cent and is dated 1983 or later, it is composed of copper-plated zinc (official weight of 2.5 grams). If it is dated 1981 or earlier, it is composed of 95% copper alloy (official weight of 3.11 grams). (See the "Redbook".)  If it happens to be dated 1982, you probably can't tell for sure, and we wouldn't even have a clue without photos.  It is not possible to weigh a coin that has been "slabbed".

Edited by Sandon
added weight for copper alloy

I think I understood that the coin had no date last night and think that I re-read the initial post this morning, but it didn't register.  If NGC didn't state the composition on the holder, we might be able to determine a date range from photos based on the style of the devices and lettering. If @CoinfinderDave can't upload photos, we could look at NGC's images if he can provide us with the serial number and grade on the holder.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, CoinfinderDave said:

So acquired an off center ... NE magnum opus penny no date

I assume you mean that you can not see a date on the coin, and not just that the label doesn't include a strike date.  Must be a significant offset for an off-center strike to not include the date.  Although collectors generally like to see a date on these to identify exactly which coin it is.  You likey would only be able to get a date range if the strike is offset enough for the date to not be visible.

Also, it looks like the "North East Error Collection" is pretty large.  Were you looking for a coin from that collection, or just an off-center strike error coin in general?

On 10/18/2023 at 1:09 PM, J P M said:

So we can request special names for coins through NGC ... we are always saying you can't make up your own fancy names for a coin. I guess you can

Likely a very large error collection, with at least 454 coins submitted to NGC from the example certification number on the coin RWB posted (attached), which may be how they got a special label. 

On 10/17/2023 at 10:55 PM, CoinfinderDave said:

Pic is too large of file to [load]

It looks like coins in that collection have photos with the NGC certifications.  If you look up or identify the NGC certification number you will likely find photos that can be posted.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/

2000 1C NGC Error.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Just another gimmick and a con. Great way to screw up coin collecting for new collectors. Why don't these frauds use the special label "Crapola" title?

On 10/18/2023 at 12:09 PM, J P M said:

This coin is a Masterpiece.

If you pay NGC and request it on the submission form, NGC will print this on the label in the slab. They will print just about anything you want the label in the slab to say. I don't feel a need to pedigree my submissions.