• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Lincoln penny???
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Spoiler

Hello out there, I'm relatively new to coin collecting so I thought I'd lean on the more educated. So thank you in advance. 

I have here I think a 1974 penny but something is wrong with it, any guesses on how it ended up like that? 

16970332787273141430585765427942.jpg

CM231011-071159005.jpg

Edited by Melani616

Always show both sides of the coin when making inquires.  
From what I can tell, your 1974 CENT looks like a dryer coin which is damage
but a photo of the obverse would confirm this.

**Was able to open the hidden contents and can now see the Obverse. The smaller diameter and
thicker rims indicate that it is a dryer coin. No premium for this.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct typo

HI Melani616, it can sometimes be hard to provide an explanation as to what causes damage to coins.  99.9% of the time it is PMD (Post Mint Damage), or life as I look at it.  This coin is just a bit older than I am and I feel like your coin looks some days.  Unfortunately, the coin looks like it was used and abused for nearly 5 decades.  There are fantastic resources that can help hone your understanding of coins on the main page of the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions", under "Basic Resources & Glossary" - one in particular is: https://www.error-ref.com/part_xi_-_non_errors/ This site will help you better understand various types of damage that life, use and people inflict on coins, purposely, accidentally, or incidentally. 

image.png.0938e8d163e97b01565d338b1292df20.png

On 10/11/2023 at 9:54 AM, cobymordet said:

Also, it seems that the obverse of your coin was hidden somehow, I am not sure how you can unhide it

If you click on the bar that says reveal hidden contents, it will open the picture window of the obverse of the coin.

I as well would lean towards a dryer coin in this case as it seems the rim has also been pushed over and somewhat in towards the center of the coin. That characteristic is something beyond just normal wear and circulation. Heavy circulation only would cause the rim to begin to wear down as well but does not explain the rim literally getting folded inwards.

On 10/11/2023 at 7:39 AM, Greenstang said:

Always show both sides of the coin when making inquires.  
From what I can tell, your 1974 CENT looks like a dryer coin which is damage
but a photo of the obverse would confirm this.

**Was able to open the hidden contents and can now see the Obverse. The smaller diameter and
thicker rims indicate that it is a dryer coin. No premium for this.

Sorry about that. And thanks for your input