• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the grade.

11 posts in this topic

I am considering buying this one but I think it is very unattractive. And doesn’t merit what it was given. Please chime in with an opinion. IMG_2559.thumb.png.322cc9f510a7a7202a0fc3cae1c802d6.png

IMG_2558.png

Edited by Dave1384

I do not know if what I have to say extends to gift-giving in general, but the analogy has some validity.  Accordingly, I am going to allow you to answer your own question. Firstly, how would you feel giving this coin to someone you respected and had a great deal of admiration for? Would the recipient be wowed, and walk away saying, Dave sure put a whole lot of thought -- and sacrifice in this?  How admirable of him!  Secondly, turning the tables, how would you feel receiving same?  Awe-struck? Maybe there is something here I am missing, but as a newbie myself -- I certainly do not know everything there is to know about this hobby  but if I am going to buy something for myself it will be representative of my discriminating taste and a reflection of me. And if it won't, I will just wait a little longer until a real contender shows up. There are, of course, a coin's overall presentation that just "occurs" to you, like the member who simply likes proof die cracks.  If there is something distinctive about this coin that appeals to you, then by all means acquire it. Note: if the coin is a bargain price-wise considering its grade, my advice to you is, You can do better. Anyone in the hobby who jumped in with hopes of making a killing, whatever that may be, is going to be sorely disappointed.  The usual pattern is acquiring quality coins and working your way up to the examples or sets that speak for themselves.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing.

Although there are aspects of the coin that I can't see well from the photos, based on what I can see and my experience with grading service grading, I would give this 1921 Peace dollar an approximate grade of MS 62.  The coin appears to be uncirculated, without many abrasions, but is dull and has unattractive "toning"--we used to call it tarnish--spots.

If you find a coin unattractive, you generally shouldn't buy it.  The only exception for me would be if the coin is truly rare and so hard to find that I might never have an opportunity to buy another. This wouldn't be true in the case of a 1921 Peace dollar, a large portion of whose million-coin mintage still exists, including many nicer looking ones. I think that they are currently overpriced in non-gem uncirculated grades and would consider settling for a decent looking XF or AU, especially one that is well-struck for this high relief issue that is often flat at the centers. My own coin, acquired uncertified some years ago for around $200, has uncirculated details with a better than usual strike, and was lightly but not unattractively "cleaned".  I have no intention of replacing it.

Thank you .
@Henri, you have a unique way of looking at things and no, I wouldn’t give it as a gift to someone knowledgeable . It is indeed a high relief . Since I’ve had 35 views and no one else has offered their opinion, I will state that it is labeled MS 64. Which I find laughable because the breast feathers are barely legible. 

I only just saw this thread, I tend to unplug from the forums over the weekend.   The photos are woefully insufficient for anyone to make much of a guess from.   That is not a knock on you, I am assuming that these are the sellers photos, but it is not surprising that you had only one grade guess from those photos.   Also, just to clarify I am guessing that you meant wing feathers not breast feathers, that is not a Morgan dollar. ;)   Anyway should you decide to purchase it, which seems unlikely given your reply, please update with your own photos, that might get some better dialog going.

I myself just noticed this thread before logging out for the night (some threads seem to be kicked to the side bar on the main forum page and I am sure there are many threads I do not see). My first guess was MS 62. Being the 1921 Peace Dollars were struck with a high relief design, extra pressure was needed on the dies to make the strike which conversely affected the design towards the center of the coin typically flattening these details as also pointed out by @Sandon. You will not find many samples with fully intact details on both sides of the 1921s due to the high relief design and those few strikes that did come out nearly perfect will be graded high with astronomical price tags on them (currently MS65 lists as $3,000 and only two grade points higher MS67 lists as $67,500 with a total of only 8 graded by NGC at this level). The TPG's take this design detraction into account when assigning grades to the 1921 Peace Dollars. I am not a fan of PCGS as I feel they overgrade a lot of the coins they slab so this getting an MS 64 grade from them would be "typical" to me. I think NGC grades a little tougher than PCGS.

I am so confused.  If you think the coin is "very unattractive" and overgraded, why would you consider buying it?  I can only assume the reason is price.  But, if you don't like the coin now... I can assure you you won't like the coin when you own it.  The money you "made/saved" in the purchase will fade in your mind over time, and the coin (and the defects you see) will still be there.  Then, if you decide to sell it, you can assume the next buyer will have all the same feelings you have now.

I would simply move-on to the next and find one that I love. 

@Coinbuf. Sorry I misidentified the wing as breast. I can’t provide another picture because I got those from the website. I know the dealer and yes, the cost is low . Approx1200, 

@powermad5000I and @The Neophyte Numismatistreading up on it , Bowers, Hall , .. yes the strikes are poor. But I don’t want to be  reminded every time I’d look at it, that I bought it because it was cheap. 

Still..

On 10/9/2023 at 7:27 PM, Dave1384 said:

Still..

If the dealer has a return option then it might be worth an in hand look, I usually try and give the TPG's the benefit of the doubt if I only have photos to go by.   After all they have seen the coin in hand, sure they do make mistakes but they get it right most of the time.   I would not fault your for passing on it, just some food for thought.

This is a perfect example of "buy the coin, not the slab". In this case, it is "pass on the unattractive coin in the slab".

Edited by powermad5000