• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1923/2/1 Peace Dollar Matte Satin Proof
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I found this and I am sure of what I am seeing. I see a obvious double over date the original date was 1 then if I hold it at certain angle I see a 2 then of course the date most visible is a 3. It has a matte satin finish on the obverse but seems to have an ordinary finish on the reverse. It has die markers around date of 1922 matter satin finish Peace Dollar Proof. I am starving for clarity and to know approximate value and where to sell it! I included pictures of it and regular 1923 side by side for comparison. 

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0189.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

Edited by Kevin Varney

• Administrator

Hello @Kevin VarneyThank you for contacting us. That is a neat coin you have on your hands! However, NGC is a coin-grading company. We do not buy, sell, or value coins. You can find out more about our company online at About NGC | NGC Coin Grading | NGC. You may want to consider taking the coin to a currency dealer to see if they can help appraise the coin for you. A list of NGC-Authorized dealers can be found here: Dealer Locator | NGC.

If you are interested in submitting coin to us for grading, you can find out more about the process at How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com) and our grading fees at NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank You!

On 10/4/2023 at 11:15 PM, Kevin Varney said:

I am starving for clarity and to know approximate value and where to sell it! I included pictures of it and regular 1923 side by side for comparison. 

You have a circulated 1923 Peace dollar, the value of the coin is largely tied to the spot price of silver and is worth around $25 give or take a buck.

I see no indication of an overdate on this coin, nor has any been reported for any Peace dollar.  The dates on these coins were included in the master dies, and an overdate could only have been created by impressing the die with "hubs" from the different years, which in the case of the 1921 would be of the "high relief" design of that year and affect other parts of the obverse. The obverse does not appear to have either the "matte" or "satin" finish (two different finishes) of certain extremely rare pieces dated 1921 and 1922 as illustrated in PCGS Coinfacts either.  See 1922 $1 Matte Finish-Low Relief (Proof) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts,  1922 $1 Satin Finish-Low Relief (Proof) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts and similar pieces dated 1921. 

To what "die markers" are you referring, and what numismatic reference work identifies and illustrates them as such?   

If I may, any coin minted with a special finish (matte/satin) would not have a special finish on one side of the coin and a standard finish on the other side. This should be a clue that the coin you have does not have a special finish and is merely toned a certain way on one side probably due to the way it was stored for many years. In your own description of the coin, you state that there is a different finish on each side of the coin. 

I am also curious as to what die markers you are referring to?

As far as the numerals in the date, I believe you are seeing some form of mechanical doubling. As stated in The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Leroy C Van Allen and A George Mallis, the years 1922, 1923, and 1925 P dates suffered from varying degrees of mechanical doubling evident on the obverses.

"For the Peace Dollar, it was the obverse and it was not the result of a repunched date, since other features were usually doubled." (p.420)