• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mucking about at the Mint. . .
1 1

8 posts in this topic

As with most members, I purchase current UC/Proof sets from the mint and older ones through dealers/internet and I get a bit of a kick out of finding a damaged coin from the mint before it even has an opportunity to circulate.  There are a few coins with damage that I am interested in understanding what causes the damage.  I don't know if any other camper out there is as interested in such an irritating facet of this hobby, but I welcome any and all to share any oddities of the Mint Muck.

First up: 1992-D Penny (REV: A line through the Lincoln Memorial, it looks like maybe bubbling?)

1992D.O.jpg

1992D.R.jpg

1993-D - The penny came from a UC Bank Roll.  What aspect of the machinery at the Mint would have (seemingly) sanded off part of the OBV and REV of this coin.  I cracked open a few UC Bank Rolls from the 90's and found a couple like this, just not as severe.

1993D.O.jpg

1993D.R.jpg

The 1992 looks kinda like a CAM with some blistering but with the others . You are correct there is something wrong with all of the coins you posted the only thing is the mint is allowed to make mistakes that are not considered to be errors. I also roll hunt and find stuff like this all the time but I don't think anyone will consider most of the defects out there at all. I still keep looking, if you like searching like I do welcome to the club. It is always fun and you never know what you will find. Are these coins also part of your Dad's collection ?

Edited by J P M

Kinda, the proofs are mine, but it's his collection driving my inquiries/posts. I am in the process of collating 18K pennies and some of the rolls he has are UC Bank Rolls from the 90's.  Unfortunately, split-plating and rot has ruined most of the coins in the rolls.