• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi, new and need help wondering if this is real mint error 1946 wheat penny
2 2

15 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

When you post photos of coins about which you have questions, please post photos of both sides of the coin.

Based on what I see from the photo of the reverse only, this Lincoln, wheat ears reverse cent appears to be neither a striking error nor to have post-mint damage. It is likely just a heavily circulated Lincoln, wheat ears reverse cent that has worn down to Fair condition. 

Edited by Sandon
correct typo

Thank you for the obverse pic. Interesting that I do not see the same amount of "heavy wear" on the obverse side of this cent. The center portion of the reverse seems commensurate with the amount of circulation wear evident on the obverse, so all I can think of in this situation is that the coin was struck with a grease filled reverse die, which would be a mint error for a reverse struck through grease.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:51 PM, jmcpenny said:

Maybe I will submit this one just to get it accredited.

I am not saying my opinion is totally correct, the law, or otherwise supersedes all others. I would hold off a bit and see what some of the others on here have to say about it before you go submitting and paying the $18 Mint Error fee. After all, I could be wrong. I am surely not perfect. 

Seems we already have a mixed reaction to it in this thread.

Edited by powermad5000

Sorry to say that submitting this coin will only result in an expensive lesson.  This coin is worn/damaged, and the cost of grading would far exceed the value of the coin.  Keep in mind that you can buy this coin today in MS66RD for under $30.  Grading fees and shipping will cost you much more than this.

I knew the moment I laid eyes on this coin (both sides) that neither the mint a mile high in the skies over Denver, or any other, was responsible for its disheveled appearance. Seventy-seven years have come and gone. That fact alone, seemingly glossed over, must be factored into any question regarding error vs pmd. The truth is that a ground down, smooth surface can be attained with a little body English in a matter of hours.  Its present value can safely be fixed at prevailing copper melt. I urge the OP to continue exploring the many nuances of coin disfigurement and what may have caused them. You have the curiosity and inclination. Both fine attributes.  I hope your stay here is informative, entertaining -- and ultimately profitable in more ways than one. (thumbsu