• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Jefferson Nickel
1 1

4 posts in this topic

looks like some sort of stain on the coin.....  unless it was pulled from a mint set then i have seen them look that way.

Welcome to the NGC chat board. When you post photos of coins on this forum, please crop the photos so that they are mostly of the coin and not the surface on which it sits.

From what I can see, your 1970-S Jefferson nickel is likely just toned, although it is possible that the 75% copper 25% nickel alloy wasn't properly mixed, causing the coin to have a reddish appearance.  In either case, it's likely worth little or no premium.

Hello and welcome!

There is no error on this coin. The coin is developing some toning from which the pattern it is presenting is due to the way the coin was previously stored. The toning seems to be covering nearly all of the front of the coin, but only has a crescent shape on the reverse. The toning also exhibited on this coin is not what is considered as rainbow toning which goes from nearly black on one part of the coin, with purple, red, blue, yellow, and sometimes a slight green across the whole surface of the coin.

I am glad to see you are at least using gloves to handle your coins, but even with a glove, the coin sliding across the surface can cause micro hairlines. It is better to handle coins only by their edges.