• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you grade this 1814 Large Cent?

13 posts in this topic

XF 40 BN  Due to the badly worn dies used for these coins including the two different die marriages (S294 cross 4 S295 Plain 4) these coins were not fully struck and the weakness in the details is as struck. This coin is in decent shape. I would value it at around $1,700.00 raw. Graded and encapsulated over $2000.00. IMO Nice!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

I am also in the VF35 camp, the verdigris and a possible old cleaning are the wildcards on if it would straight grade or not.   If the rev photo is accurate, it gives the impression of having been cleaned long ago.   Value, $900 to 1.2K in a straight graded VF35 holder, $500-$600ish if it got a details grade.

It must be seen in 3 D but it is very close. I do not see verdigris or at least any that is of much consequence for the age. I believe RWB sees the black spots in the low areas and doesn't like it. I don't either. I believe this is a severely worn late die stage coin. . The "apparent" wear obv and rev on the coin is not even. That tells me it started out as a poor coin. Denticles on obverse and reverse are completely missing. The stars are well struck one side but the others are bad. I doubt this coin even had 1/2 the details as the above 1813 when struck. The planchets were better for 1814 but the over used worn dies were still an issue.