• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I send these to CACG?

16 posts in this topic

Thoughts on this please.

I would cut them out of my Dansco and send them in as you see here.

Their from a Silver Proof Set.

1976SilverProofSetfrommyDANSCOAlbum.jpg.59f05c61b45a3c1918d36b4f8be350e4.jpg

These coins appear to be uncirculated 40% silver Bicentennial coins, not proofs.

I wouldn't send these common coins to any grading service.  A few weeks ago, I bought the 40% silver half dollar and dollar from this set, both graded MS 67 by PCGS, for less than $60 for the pair at a local coin show. The same dealer had the quarter in the same grade for $25. I acquired these coins, which were unusually attractive for coins of these types, solely for registry set purposes. Obviously, the grading fees and related costs would exceed the prices I paid for them.  I can't see your coins well enough to estimate their grades, but relatively few of these coins grade as high as MS 67 at NGC or PCGS, and CAC grading is expected to be more conservative than they usually are. 

I don't know why you want to have these coins third-party graded but am sure it wouldn't make any financial sense. At this time, CAC graded coins wouldn't be accepted in any registry, although I understand that CAC intends to create one in the future. If you want them in certified holders, I suggest you buy pieces that have already been certified.

Edited by Sandon
clarification

I picked up this set at a dealer in NC couple of years ago for $16. I think you can find the same ones online at close to the same price. I would just leave the ones you have in the book and try for another set. or just get some slabbed already.

40% Silver.jpg

Edited by J P M

It all depends on your motivation to have these three graded Lee.   Your photos of one side in the album are insufficient for anyone to be able to provide any real feedback.   If you need these for some purpose like a registry set then that may make it worthwhile for you.   It would be difficult for this to make sense monetarily unless you are really convinced (having them in hand) that they have a real shot at 67+ or better.

Edited to add:   Also keep in mind that currently only the people that invested in CACG have the ability to submit coins, even if you are a CAC collector submitter like I am we cannot submit to CAC Grading at this time, only to the stickering service.   There are some rumors that the grading will be opened to collector members soon, but nothing concrete has been communicated on this as of now.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/14/2023 at 12:58 PM, leeg said:

Thoughts on this please.

I would cut them out of my Dansco and send them in as you see here.

Their from a Silver Proof Set.

1976SilverProofSetfrommyDANSCOAlbum.jpg.59f05c61b45a3c1918d36b4f8be350e4.jpg

Are you an authorized CAC submitter? I ask because if you are NOT one, you cannot directly submit to CACG either. It’s a closed network. Plus, I believe they don’t even accept these coins for grading. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/15/2023 at 12:03 AM, VKurtB said:

Plus, I believe they don’t even accept these coins for grading. 

Actually, unlike the stickering service, CAC Grading does accept all dollar coins up to the present and other modern coins. See CAC Grading - Coins Accepted for Grading.  However, the website also has a notice that they are not accepting new members at this time. 

The OP is, for all intents and purposes, a charter, card-carrying member of NGC and its Chat Board.  As such, it is unclear to me how or under what circumstances he could have mistook a set of uncirculated coins for proofs unless the activity alluded to took place a long, long time ago. Each product line is clearly packaged and identified as such.  The other thorny matter concerns choice of words used: "cut them out."  No deluxe album I am familiar with requires resorting to extreme measures. (I know the Smithsonian resorted to gluing coins to display boards, but Dansco, why?)  I had always thought coins were simply "pushed in" or "pushed out."  If I am sadly mistaken, I shall relinquish my "Rising Star" status," forthwith as undeserved.  :sumo:

On 9/15/2023 at 12:03 AM, VKurtB said:

Are you an authorized CAC submitter? I ask because if you are NOT one, you cannot directly submit to CACG either. It’s a closed network. Plus, I believe they don’t even accept these coins for grading. 

I am. I joined when CAC first came to being.

Edited by leeg

On 9/15/2023 at 4:46 PM, RWB said:

Quintus, the OP is asking a very simple question, not making a declaration of fealty or eternal pledge of prayerful dogma.

;)

"My karma ran over your dogma."

On 9/15/2023 at 8:16 PM, VKurtB said:

"My karma ran over your dogma."

...u both have ur mas mixed up, any attempt at sensible conversation with QA is an invitation to a lexiconic enema, boots required....

On 9/16/2023 at 7:26 AM, zadok said:

...u both have ur mas mixed up, any attempt at sensible conversation with QA is an invitation to a lexiconic enema, boots required....

VKurtB is a contender with legions of fans at his disposal.  You speak in generalized inexactitudes which are difficult to prove or disprove.  I try not to offend you, or both of your followers -- (one of whom happens to be me.) 'nuf said.