• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 s steel wheat penny double struck pushed dies
1 1

9 posts in this topic

@Yancey1997 is this your coin?   If so where did you acquire it from and do you know what the number "4055" that is written on the 2X2 means?   I have to agree with Sandon that the coin looks to be a reprocessed (fancy way of saying replated) coin with no obvious errors or anomalies worth only the face value of one cent.

Yancey1997

Sandon and others are correct. Text at bottom of the 2x2 is drivel. Value is 1-cent.

Sorry, but this appears to be nothing but another attempt by a dishonest person to confuse potential collectors and sell pig snouts for gold.

Edited by RWB

The 2x2 says PLUGGED dies , not pushed dies, probably referring to the mint mark.  
Not sure of your question, but it looks to be a replated cent in which case it would be worth 1 cent.  
There is no sign of it being double struck.

Edited by Greenstang

@Yancey1997 This looks like the work of an ebay scam artist called "redhotcollectibles" who takes average cents and gives them various names and descriptions to sell them for outrageous prices like $5 to $20 a pop.  The cent is not "double struck", and appears to just have some very common minor machine doubling like at the date.  Also the "4055" seems to be the scam artists item number.

There also appears to be a blob at the mint mark which is what they may be calling "plugged dies", which is likely just the result of worn dies with some die chips at the mark, or where it was filled in from re-plating as previously noted.  If the dies were "plugged" then there would actually be a loss of some features.

Also, the coin does not have the appearance of an uncirculated 1943-S steel cent.  See the following links which have the terms I used above as well as a link to CoinFacts to see how an uncirculated 1943-S cent should look in various grades.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1943-s-1c/2717

Hello!

Your cent has an obvious altered surface. Note the change of color in spots on both the obverse and reverse. The area at the bottom of the reverse is most prominent from the rim of the coin to the field between the wheat ears. The more natural color of the coin is showing as whatever was used to cover the original surface of the coin has come off. At the end of my response, I have included a photo of a 1943 S Lincoln Wheat Steel Cent for your reference on what the evenness and tone of the color should look like on an example with an unaltered surface.

There is possibly some mechanical doubling near the date, but I do not even see this being prominent enough fully assess and call it as such. NGC has no listed varieties for a 1943 S Lincoln Steel DDO, and Variety Vista lists 6 but none of them are even of consequence and need magnification to see them which is probably why NGC will not certify any of them. None of those DDO varieties match your coin as the other die markers are not present. I have never heard of a plugged die or a pushed die if that is what is meant by your "filled" S. Variety Vista also lists some RPM's for this coin but once again, none of the markers related to those are present on your coin. As the mintmarks were applied by hand to the dies, there can be any number of reasons for the mintmark to be filled in and it is actually common in the Lincoln Wheat cent series. I own a 1955 S Lincoln Wheat with a completely filled in S. It commands no premium.

Please bear in mind when purchasing coins, that anybody with little to no knowledge of numismatics or of coins in general can write anything they want on a cardboard flip. That does not mean that anything written is correct. I have even come across cardboard flips with the wrong date and mintmark written on them when the coin inside the flip was clearly something else. Anyone's "self-grade" written on a flip should also be ignored and you should learn and hone your own grading skills as to not overpay for a coin which is usually steps below in grade of what is written on flips. I hope you did not pay anything to acquire the coin you posted in this thread and if you did, you might want to just keep it somewhere as a reminder of a painful lesson which you are now learning.

IMG_20170507_081145 (2).jpg