• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to grade uncirculated details?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum

Please can someone explain how an uncirculated (details scratched )$10 gold liberty head coin from1900 would be valued?

I paid to get the coin graded in hope to find it's worth but it's value is still unclear to me.

Also how would I go about selling it?

Any information is appreciated

Thanks
Andrew

IMG_20230317_151643_930.jpg

IMG_20230221_112508_634.jpg

IMG_20230221_112508_190.jpg

IMG_20230423_213746_031.jpg

Edited by Andrew8455
Can't see the scratch clearly in the first photos

A little above melt, which is currently about $465. A details coin sold at Heritage in May for $576 but gold was also about a hundred dollars more and ounce then as well. Another thing suppressing the value is that this is one of the higher mintages of the series. 

EDIT: Ignore my info above in this post, it was pertaining to a 1900 quarter eagle. The coin in the OP is a half eagle. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 9/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, Sandon said:

Apparently, @Fenntucky Mike confused this $10 gold piece with an $5 gold piece. Your 1900 $10 gold piece contains contain 0.48375 troy oz. of gold, which at the current gold price is worth $929.55. See U.S. Gold Coin Melt Values | Gold Coin Prices | NGC Coin Melt Value. These coins have retail list prices between $1,100 and $1,200 in circulated grades, so it is possible that you might be able to get something more than gold value for this uncirculated piece with a single obverse scratch.

Absolutely correct, I was looking at $5's. My fault OP, I'll edit out my bad info. 

A TPG must never link grade/condition and value. That would be a clear conflict of interest and, in my view, invalidate anything the TPG might declare.

An "Uncirculated - Details" grade coin is:

One that has not wear or abrasion from circulation or handling, and

Has some sort of damage or defect that disqualifies it from a "straight" grade.

Value of the coin then becomes a reduction from the market value of the same coin without defects. This depends on the visual impact of defects, and a potential buyer's interest in acquiring the coin. For common date gold or silver - those items traded as bullion - a scratch or other mark won't make much difference; your coin is bullion and authentication makes it easier to sell.

Being this coin is gold, I would say UNC Details would equate the value to more like what the value of MS 60 is despite whatever good details your coin still has. A dealer, though, who still has to cover his overhead, I would expect to offer you more around AU 50 value and the dealer will tell you that is because details coins are hard for them to sell. If your intent is to sell this coin, I think you would do better than a dealer by selling it on eBay. When it comes to silver coins with details grades, those coins can lose up to a third of their value. What that means is a silver dollar for example with UNC Details grade can lose value all the way down to being valued at what a coin in the XF range is.

It also depends on the impairment. Severe corrosion, heavily scratched, whizzed, holed, or physically dented coins which have no eye appeal left due to the heavy amounts of damage on them will typically lose all of their value down to melt values. Coins with less impairment or impairments in areas that don't distract the eye given the right buyer can still get a good price when selling. Your coin with a single large scratch, while it is noticeable and does detract from overall eye appeal, might find its way to a buyer who is putting together a set of coins cheaply and doesn't care about the scratch. As I stated, it is finding the right buyer or the right buyer finding you. Even on eBay, I would not expect this coin to sell immediately. Details coins can take some time to sell. I have sold some details silver coins, and some took over a year to sell even at very reduced price.

On 9/10/2023 at 12:25 AM, Andrew8455 said:

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum

Please can someone explain how an uncirculated (details scratched )$10 gold liberty head coin from1900 would be valued?

I paid to get the coin graded in hope to find it's worth but it's value is still unclear to me.

Also how would I go about selling it?

Any information is appreciated

Thanks
Andrew

IMG_20230317_151643_930.jpg

IMG_20230221_112508_634.jpg

IMG_20230221_112508_190.jpg

IMG_20230423_213746_031.jpg

Welcome to the world as it is.