• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of Morgan
1 1

14 posts in this topic

It better be a PF UC being it is brand new. I am not sure what to tell ya here @EagleRJO. I have sent in six of the Cook Is. $2 silvers and none of them graded 70. I sent in six of the Cook Is. "1964" Morgans and only one of those came back as a 70. You could do like I did and look at it all day looking for that one little thing that the grader will ding it on and knock it down to a 69 but I am sure you won't actually find it. It is basically a {poop} shoot sending these in trying to get the 70. If you get lucky, it comes back as such. If not, it comes back as a 69.

If you do a short exam though it is worth that as you might actually find a little something and save yourself on the grading fees.

Edited by powermad5000

I just usually see little things on these coins, but sometimes they are super clean like with this one so I was curious what others thought.

On 9/9/2023 at 5:18 PM, EagleRJO said:

I just usually see little things on these coins, but sometimes they are super clean like with this one so I was curious what others thought.

It is a MS 70 all day long.......... until you try to sell it. 

On 9/9/2023 at 7:07 PM, J P M said:

It is a MS 70 all day long.......... until you try to sell it. 

... at which point it becomes, "I don't care what the label says; to me it's a piece of bullion. I'll pay you melt minus 5%."

On 9/15/2023 at 10:26 PM, VKurtB said:

... at which point it becomes, "I don't care what the label says; to me it's a piece of bullion. I'll pay you melt minus 5%."

For ASEs I would agree, but not for the proof Morgans.  Although not that far off with the abysmal quality coming out of the mint the last few years.

On 9/16/2023 at 12:09 AM, EagleRJO said:

For ASEs I would agree, but not for the proof Morgans.  Although not that far off with the abysmal quality coming out of the mint the last few years.

But is it a true Morgan?  Is it a commemorative coin as listed ATS. Here at NGC it is a Anniversary coin or Medal ?  I used to get Morgan's on my paper route from customers to pay the weekly bill. At the bar people use to buy drinks with them.( I grew up in a bar that's how I know) I am not sure it is quite the same thing, Eagle.  

Edited by J P M

On 9/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, J P M said:

But is it a true Morgan?

Yes, I think so even with the poor design and quality.  It's a proof strike and not a circulation strike, but still much more collectable than bullion.  And you could consider 2021 an anniversary strike, but not 2023.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, J P M said:

I used to get Morgan's on my paper route from customers to pay the weekly bill

Now you are really dating yourself. (:

@TheFalconHunter--Welcome to the NGC chat board.

If you are trying to get opinions as to the grade or other information regarding the 1881-dated Morgan silver dollar whose obverse photo you posted on this topic, please post clearer photos of both sides of the coin as a new topic on this forum and ask the questions you want answered. These coins were made at four different mints in 1881, with the mint mark appearing on the reverse ("tails") side. All but those with a "CC" mint mark are common issues.  Your photo is too overexposed to see clearly, but this one appears to have been "cleaned" or polished, which would reduce its value.

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I apologize for the quality of the photo and will be posting clearer images of both sides of the coin in a new topic on the forum. I appreciate your insights about the mint marks and the potential impact of cleaning or polishing on the coin's value I Personally have not cleaned the coin , and to my knowledge its without any mint mark. Your insights about the coin's potential rarity are valuable, and I appreciate your input regarding its condition.

006.JPG

009.JPG