• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So now Artificial Intelligence designing. Coins?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Gov Mint is stating that these are being restocked based on demand. 

I do not like it and whatever intelligence they think is used here is wasted.

The World's FIRST Coin Designed by AI

Shop Now

There’s been a lot of talk about the growing influence of Artificial Intelligence, or “AI” for short. While the potential ramifications of AI may seem distant and theoretical, the reality is that we’re already experiencing the impact of intelligent machines in our daily lives. Take this coin, for instance. It’s the world’s FIRST silver coin designed using Artificial Intelligence!

Pay homage to what might be the future of numismatics with this 2023 1oz Silver AI Developed Brilliant Uncirculated bullion coin that combines the beauty of traditional craftsmanship with the cutting-edge power of artificial intelligence! 

First-Ever AI Developed Coin Designs! 

Both sides of the coin have been created utilizing AI and its idea of what a silver coin should look like. The obverse features a humanlike profile with cybernetics and various wiring decals. Meanwhile, the reverse depicts an eagle with its wings spread—familiar imagery featured throughout world bullion coins such as the American Silver Eagle and Australia’s Wedge Tailed Eagle.

IMG_7291.png

IMG_7292.png

I have many issues with AI technology. It is going to be used improperly for certain. It is already creating its own artwork and there was a group of artists that sued the AI company that fed their data into it while it produced artwork from the original artists that ended up being sold. It has written papers for college students. It has caused teachers already to change how their testing is being done because of widespread "cheating". It is even able to hack passwords with 95% accuracy. Wondering when it will be wrongly used to drain bank accounts.

Here is it being used to create a coin. Can it be used to counterfeit already struck US Mint specimens? Probably. I am mixed on what AI came up with in this creation. I am impressed by all the different design elements all put into the space leaving basically no clean fields on either side of the coin, but also kind of starting to belly heave at the "too busy" design as well as the attempt to make it a hybrid of human touch and computer power. I can embrace a human being and feel its touch. I cannot feel the same touch from a plastic keyboard. I have no desire to buy anything like this even in bullion form. Reminds me also of cryptocurrency which I abhor. 

On 9/6/2023 at 5:45 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Both sides of the coin have been created utilizing AI and its idea of what a silver coin should look like

Looks like a mish-mash design.  They forgot to tell the AI to act like a coin collector.  (:

On 9/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, J P M said:

Does it have hieroglyphics on it? Maybe it has some language I don't understand.

It isn't binary which would be a series of ones and zeros which is how I thought computer basics originated. It is AI language. Totally new. You mean you can't read it and understand what it says??? It says (in computer generated style Stephen Hawking sounding) "I made a new language and I am smarter than you lowly human!" lol

On 9/6/2023 at 9:08 PM, RWB said:

Reminds me of something mashed together by a counterfeiter in a mountain state ...

That mountain guys 2022 (particularly the CC) and 1964-D fantasy Morgans or tokens are a substantially better quality than the Morgans the mint has been vomiting since 1921, and particularly the poorly designed and struck 2021 Morgans the now woke mint puked out.  :whatthe:

Hmmm, the US mint engaging the services of a "counterfeiter" to design coins for them, and PCGS and ANACS certifying and slabbing his "counterfeits".  Yea right.  :baiting:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1964-d-1-x-383-peace-dollar-daniel-carr-fantasy/877747

2021 Morgan $1 NGC BU.jpg

2022-CC Dan Carr Morgan - Copy.jpg

2021 Carr Treasury Ltr.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/6/2023 at 8:08 PM, RWB said:

Reminds me of something mashed together by a counterfeiter in a mountain state with 5th grade art talent.

Of course I vehemently disagree with @RWB on his characterization of the gentleman from Colorado and his ultimately silly, if not slanderous, use of the term counterfeiter, BUT I have to agree with him that this AI designed piece almost reeks of Carresque design pathos. 

On 9/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I’ll stick to what’s real Thank You! ... nothin but the real thing baby 🎶 

That poorly struck 2023 Morgan just looks horrible, with the computer aided clip art "enhanced" design that Coinbuf noted and as unbashfully boasted by the now woke mint.  It just looks like a fake coin with a "mushy" appearance and lack of fine detail, and is still poorly struck.

I did purchase a 2023 Morgan for my complete set hoping they would have corrected all the issues with the 2021 Morgans everyone complained about, but I was sorely disappointed when I received the coin.  If that wasn't enough, it was also still sent in the cheap dollar store like box with a poor quality dinged up capsule again.  :eyeroll:

I'm actually thinking about just sending it back to the mint now so I don't have to ever look at the coin or cheap dollar store box again, and using the money to buy several of these cheesy looking AI coins to add to my silver melt hoard.  (:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/9/2023 at 7:28 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I didn’t think it was bad at all.

If I saw this as a non proof with an actual Morgan series date, I would call it a counterfeit due to the mushy details. Just my opinion.

On 9/9/2023 at 2:11 PM, powermad5000 said:

If I saw this as a non proof with an actual Morgan series date, I would call it a counterfeit due to the mushy details. Just my opinion.

The Coloradan gentleman has made a much nicer 2022 than either the Mint’s 2021 or 2023. You can always tell the “real U.S. mint product” lately. It sucks worse than the stuff Carr makes in Colorado. 

On 9/9/2023 at 8:28 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Ooh someone is upset 😠! I hope you weren’t referring to my 2023 proof Morgan. I didn’t think it was bad at all

If you are referring to my comments your right I am upset with the mint for vomiting out poorly designed and struck Morgans in 2021 and 2023, including the one I posted in another topic even though it looked pretty clean.

Like look at the mushy details of say the hair lines, wheat elements, cotton elements and the cap fold just as a few examples and compare those to earlier date Morgans [prior to 1921].

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/11/2023 at 1:14 PM, VKurtB said:

Yeah, Bill, no reflection on you (yes, that’s a proof coin pun, fully intended), but the work of the United States Mint on these 2021 and 2023 pieces is what we might have called “urine poor” in my old neighborhood, if we were cleaning up our language, which, trust me, we NEVER did. 

On 9/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, EagleRJO said:

If you are referring to my comments your right I am upset with the mint for vomiting out poorly designed and struck Morgans in 2021 and 2023, including the one I posted in another topic even though it looked pretty clean.

Like look at the mushy details of say the hair lines, wheat elements, cotton elements and the cap fold just as a few examples and compare those to earlier date Morgans.

I see you both referencing the look of 2021 and 2023  but not 2022 ? are the 22's ok looking or are you just saying 2021 through 2023.

On 9/11/2023 at 1:05 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I'm pretty sure the Mint didn't produce Morgan or Peace dollar for 2022.

Correct. There were none in 2022. Dan Carr made some, and they’re nicer than the Mint’s. 

On 9/11/2023 at 2:05 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I'm pretty sure the Mint didn't produce Morgan or Peace dollar for 2022.

On 9/11/2023 at 4:17 PM, VKurtB said:

Correct. There were none in 2022. Dan Carr made some, and they’re nicer than the Mint’s. 

Thanks, I don't follow the new mint token coins

I don’t follow Dan’s pieces closely either. Sometimes they just pop up. I don’t see anything wrong with them. They’re just kinda pricey. Remember all, Dan Carr, Roger’s favorite bile target (he must have cats, right?) designed BOTH the Rhode Island AND the New York State quarters. The REAL ones, in addition to several sarcastic ones. Not bad for a “5th grade artist”, huh?

But Roger hath said he’s a counterfeiter, And Roger is an honorable man. Nope, can’t carry it off. It’s BS. 

Edited by VKurtB

My feelings are mixed on AI designed coins.  In one aspect, I do think there is a "uniqueness" to them (when compared to conventionally designed coins) that will make them appealing to some.  On the other hand, all AI designs that I have seen to date have a weird similarity to them (even when the subject matter is different).  

To me this is like autotune in music.  The first time I heard (computerized) autotune, I thought it was interesting and was used sparingly.  Now, I can pick-out autotune every time I hear it and it annoys me.  It takes the artistry out of the music (and I believe it's the same with coins in the visual sense).

Edit Note - I called out "computerized" autotune (think Cher - Life after Love), as to not be confused with the REAL original autotune that came from a guitar talk box (think Peter Frampton - Do you Feel?).  Frampton obviously still rocks... Cher (well, maybe not so much because the effects are so overdone in today's music) 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist
Autotune distinction definition

I too thought the AI coin had a very Dan Carr feel to it.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:28 AM, EagleRJO said:

Hmmm, the US mint engaging the services of a "counterfeiter" to design coins for them,

The date on the letter is from 1999 and that was before he started making his "counterfeits".

On 9/7/2023 at 12:28 AM, EagleRJO said:

PCGS and ANACS certifying and slabbing his "counterfeits".

You'll have to take that up with PCGS and ANACS.

On 9/13/2023 at 8:44 PM, Conder101 said:

The date on the letter is from 1999 and that was before he started making his "counterfeits".

Sticking a knife into the back of the US mint and other major coin production players by then "counterfeiting" coins, and designing state quarters for the US mint many years after the letter, while you burn every bridge behind you in a scorched earth policy of a criminal currency mastermind.  I'm not buying it.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/14/2023 at 3:13 AM, EagleRJO said:

Sticking a knife into the back of the US mint and other major coin production players by then "counterfeiting" coins, and designing state quarters for the US mint many years after the letter, while you burn every bridge behind you in a scorched earth policy of a criminal currency mastermind.  I'm not buying it.

Here’s the deal. Carr is NOT A COUNTERFEITER, PERIOD! @RWB IS DEAD WRONG, PERIOD! @RWB is a slanderer, period.

Edited by VKurtB

Dan Carr never fails to incite.  Personally, I am on the fence on his work.  It is high quality and beautiful if you are into that kind of stuff.  But, I can also see how it upsets people.  It is not, nor will ever be my focus... so I don't pay him much mind.

Back to the topic of AI... I would be interested to see how the AI changes its designs over time as it "learns".  This is the core difference between other technology assisted services, they do not learn as they go.  So, while I made the comment about AI coin designs being recognizable as such - do we think we will ever get to the point where the AI is designing coins that are superior?  Can they get the relief just right?  Can they look/feel more "human" over time?  Time will tell I suppose. 

Note:  I work with AI all the time, but more within the context of medical data.  From a medical standpoint, I am very bullish on what these technologies can/will do.  However, I have no experience with the "artsy" aspects of AI.

I think the only borderline fantasy token Carr ever struck was the 1964-D Morgan since they did find master hubs at the US mint for that coin.  But I have never heard of someone being conned into thinking it's a legit major missing coin, which is really the only potential pitfall.

I think people constantly bringing it up completely out of the blue is pretty childish and does more harm than good for the hobby.  They are never going to take any action against him, despite the high visibility, so it's really a shame some don't seem to be able to just get over it.