• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is my coin?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Showing cropped pics of both sides would be helpful, but it looks like a 1859 Indian Head Cent that is pretty worn.  It may be altered or a reproduction as it's a silver like off-color.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/cents/indian-cents-1859-1909/12057/1859-1c-ms/

On 9/3/2023 at 2:39 PM, Superman rockstar said:

Can someone tell me what this is please and Thankyou

You have what is commonly called an Indian Head Cent often abbreviated as IHC.   This coin was minted in 1859 and was a one year type with the laurel wreath reverse, in 1860 the reverse design was changed to include a shield, the shield reverse design was then used until 1909 when the IHC was replaced with the Lincoln cent.   It is impossible to determine if your coin is genuine from just this one photo, however, in this very poor condition the coin is only worth a few dollars.

Welcome to the forum.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, EagleRJO said:

It may be altered or a reproduction as it's a silver like off-color.

Cleaned with some rubbing.  The coppernickel alloy was whiteish before it would start toning.  The silvery color is probably a hint of what they looked like newly struck.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:19 PM, Superman rockstar said:

isn't there supposed to be a shield on the back top the coin?

The shield was added (and the wreath changed) in 1860.

Hello and welcome!

This coin is a very well worn specimen with added environmental damage in the form of corrosion (the blackened areas). At some point, someone tried to clean the coin (which you should never do) and did a very improper job. The silverish color is because whatever they used to clean the coin actually affected the copper in the planchet which was a copper-nickel alloy and there is more of the nickel in the alloy now showing. This coin listed in AG in the price guide is $10 but the coin you presented with its impairments might only get $2. I have included a photo of the reverse using the photo from NGC Coin Explorer. This was the only year of Indian Head Cent that did not have the shield.

5747236-003rr.jpg

On 9/4/2023 at 4:12 AM, Conder101 said:

Cleaned with some rubbing.  The coppernickel alloy was whiteish before it would start toning.  The silvery color is probably a hint of what they looked like newly struck.

With a 88% Cu & 12% Ni composition probably more of a lighter metallic somewhat brownish color newly struck like the attached or a little lighter similar to a mid-1800's Cu-Ni three-cent or five-cent piece, and more of a brownish color toned like those shown on CoinFacts for various grades.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1859-1c/images/2052

The op's cent looks dipped, chemically cleaned or scrubbed, or otherwise altered in appearance if it's even legit.

1859 1C PCGS MS61.jpg

Welcome to the forum

You should really start your own thread instead of piggybacking on another one.  
This just causes confusion and is hard to find yours.

To answer your question, your quarter is just damaged and worth 25 cents. You 

@Bridgett Mouton--Welcome to the NGC chat board. When you have a question about a coin, please post it as a new topic instead of as a reply to someone else's topic. It will get better attention from forum members. Additionally, please crop your photos so that they show primarily the coin and not the surface surrounding it.

Your 1965 Washington quarter was damaged after it left the mint. The edge was probably beaten repeatedly with a heavy hammer or other tool to create the raised edge. There is no way that this appearance could be created during the production process at the mint.  The surfaces have also been scraped, to the point that the outer, copper-nickel layer has been removed from the obverse ("heads" side), partly exposing the copper core. 

On 10/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Looks likes its been caught in the tumbler of a dryer. My dryer tore up earlier this week and ive been working on it. I found over $13 worth of change in the bottom of it and 3 of them in there looked just like this where they got caught up in the tumbler. '

Please post pictures of those, Hog.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:28 PM, Just Bob said:

It will take me a few minutes to find them again. I dropped them in change jug. Im looking for them now. Soon as i find them ill take pics and post them on my sons laptop. I found a couple that it totally mutilated. Ill post them also. 

On 10/7/2023 at 4:28 PM, Just Bob said:

I started to make a post with them a couple days ago showing what dryer coins for sure looked like but I figured it would be uninteresting to everyone so i threw them in the jug with a couple hundred worth of change. Wish id kept them out a couple more days. It will take me a little while to find them again but soon as i do ill post them for sure. I got a 5 gallon plastic water jug about a third the way full to sort through.