• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC, you can do better
1 1

3 posts in this topic

So I sent in a small submission to NGC including this coin. I did well with the others but this one came back as “ILLEGIBLE DATE” and not slabbed. Now, anyone with a little knowledge of Buffalo Nickels would be able to determine that this is the 1916 DDO. Even without the date the doubling of the feathers and ribbons give it away. I’m sure they have slabbed their fair share of 1916 SLQ without a date based on the other characteristics, so why not this one? Am I wrong?
Also, I refuse to nic-a-date it.

IMG_9986.png

• Administrator

Hello @Tonyqt

Thank you for reaching out to us. If the exact date cannot be determined for any reason, the coin is not eligible for grading. Unfortunately, coins with heavy wear or damage may not be able to be properly dated. The final determination as to whether a coin will qualify for grading is at the discretion of the graders. 

If you have any questions, please let us know. 

@Tonyqt, this is a hard and fast rule NGC has. I understand the need for it and it is even more frustrating when 2 of 4 numerals of the date are still faintly visible, but that will also get the same designation and will not be slabbed. Same for early cents as in the 1795 lettered edge cent. Even without a date the lettered edge is a dead giveaway, but no date, no slab.