• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Cut
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Coin Collectors

I have been reading about the minting process and how errors can occur on a coin.

I am not sure what to make of this. It is a 1971 S Lincoln Penny with a cut, looks like it's toosmall for a regular cutter to make, I see striations inside the cut instead of a flat cut.

The interesting thing is the edge and the way the metal is shaped. Thoughts?

WIN_20230903_07_22_40_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230903_07_23_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230903_07_23_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230903_07_24_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230903_07_24_47_Pro.jpg

On 9/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, CommunicatorDan said:

I have been reading about the minting process and how errors can occur on a coin.

Can you tell us where you've been reading this, or where you got the idea this was a legitimate error?

Hello and welcome! What I see is post mint damage from something with offset blades much like found on WISS tin snips as if someone made an attempt to cut the coin in half unsuccessfully or to produce successfully a non-mint error coin and pass it off fraudulently as a mint error coin.

In your edge photo (thanks for decent photos to answer your question btw), you can see where the blades pushed metal inward as they were not actually removing metal to make the cut as would be in the case of say a hacksaw.

This coin is now just badly damaged intentionally, but is not an error coin.

On 9/3/2023 at 3:58 PM, CommunicatorDan said:

Hi RWB...I was trying to read up on error-ref.com site about rolling induced fissures errors that can happen with a planchet. I thought it might fall into that kind of category.

Thank you all for your imput. I'll keep on looking and learning.

Great site with tons of information, glad to see people that use it. 

On 9/3/2023 at 2:48 PM, RWB said:

Can you tell us where you've been reading this, or where you got the idea this was a legitimate error?

I bet he can’t.