• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liberty Head V Nickel Series Experiencing Market Value Gain!
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Although it covers 30 years, the Liberty nickel series is a compact and potentially completed set, largely because of the near total lack of branch mint issues. For that reason it’s widely collected by date and mint, though many do collect it simply by type. Proofs were made in every year, always in the thousands, a high level for that period. The market demand for these coins is growing quickly. Price guide values have recently increased across the board due to new collector interest. Coins from P01/AG3 to High MS and PF have recently seen large valuation gains. Take a look at the NGC price guide for Liberty V Nickels. If your not buying these coins you should be! Buy now and sell later. One things for sure if buying don't wait to take advantage of the market lull before the awakening to the new higher values. I have an1883 No Cents I purchased raw for $12.00 that graded AU 58 that went from $43.00 GV up to $60.00 GV instantly. Making my coin worth a bit more than double the raw cost and grading cost. Not to bad. I estimate the overall increase adjustment at around 25% gain across the board with some left as before. Nice to see this series starting to gain more potential.

1883 No Cents 5c.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Late nite antics...

If anyone asks, How come yours looks gold-plated, I'll tell 'em it is!

Old mint custom to distinguish the inaugural, first-of-year issues from those to follow.

What would you rather have, a tired old shield nickel or gleaming new nickel?  PMD? Don't be silly!  Intent to deceive? Not at all!  All it is is an introductory nickel to introduce a new seres-- with a face lift. All in favor, say Aye!

Maybe the mint ought to plate all new coins so that the question of wear can be settled once and for all. Plus, it ought to be easy to tell an original coin from one that's been replated.  Illegal?  Not at all. Are any of those gold-plated quarter sets illegal? When's the last time you got one in change?  V for victory. 🤣

@Henri Charriere The mint mucky mucks were mortified to realize they allowed Barber to omit the CENTS from the largely fully completed mint runs. With no choice the coin was released into circulation. It was then PROMPTLY noticed by the nair do wells which gold plated these coins to fool others into thinking it was a 5 dollar gold piece. Worked well for a while. AMERICA!

On 9/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

@RWB  keep your comments to yourself you blithering fool. No one wants your negative know it all attitude anywhere here except your blithering followers who seem to think you are some kind of god. Please STFU. If you have nothing of interest to say except to try and correct or insult another's post don't say anything. Its best for you to just go play with your monopoly money. 

@RWB has been named, for better or worse, the 2023 American Numismatic Association’s Numismatist of the Year. He has a fantastic resume as a former collector and an unsurpassed current numismatic researcher. @Mike Meenderink ,who the heck are you? I’ll tell you. 

IMG_0868.jpeg.5bcb782c68504fb924c9729bb434c32d.jpeg

You are also an unethical “pump and dump” artist - a con man. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

@RWB  keep your comments to yourself you blithering fool. No one wants your negative know it all attitude anywhere here except your blithering followers who seem to think you are some kind of god. Please STFU. If you have nothing of interest to say except to try and correct or insult another's post don't say anything. Its best for you to just go play with your monopoly money. 

You landed in the spot you are in because of all the false information and the vulgar language you post. This is not the place for that. 

On 9/3/2023 at 7:01 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

This post was about nickel value gains and this is what you guys try and do Fu8k off all of you pompous asses

And yet you found a way to include lots of misinformation in your own op.   The Liberty nickel series has never been "widely collected by date and mint" as you erroneously state in the op.   Bty, do let me know if big words like erroneously are too much for you, I'll be sure to sue more like it. :devil:    A quick search of the NGC registry shows 469 Liberty nickel sets compared to 1,480 Buffalo nickel sets and 6,000 Jefferson nickel sets, but sure you go on believing that Lib nickels are widely collected.   Dang you cannot even put together your own thread without filling it up with misinformation and garbage.

And since I expect that this is too advanced information for you to comprehend, :news: the entire coin market has gone up since covid, so yes Lib nickels have risen in prices some because a rising tide lifts all boats.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/3/2023 at 1:04 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

It was then PROMPTLY noticed by the nair do wells which gold plated these coins to fool others into thinking it was a 5 dollar gold piece. 

This IS true, as documented elsewhere (I read about it in Bowers LH DE book).  In fact, they didn't have to even gold-plate.

They'd take out the Liberty Nickel...buy something pricey like a $0.50 cigar....and get $4.50 back in change !! :o

Sort of reminds me when we were able to get free games from "Space Invaders" or "Pac-Man" by inserting those little plastic tabs on top of household products to prevent someone from pressing the button in-store....you'd break it off and insert it into the bottom of the coin slot....it worked for months....then the coin vendors realized they didn't like little plastic discs as much as real U.S. quarters and wised-up by altering the slots. xD.

I never did that, of course. (thumbsu 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Here are some facts on the Liberty nickel series from an independent source, the Heritage Archives as of mid-2022.  I covered the Heritage Archives in a prior thread last year though cannot remember the exact date.

This thread included some disclaimers on the data limitations which I will not repeat here.

Circulation strikes                  Proofs

$200-$500                          29/84                                28/84

$501-$2,500                       40/99                                34/99

$2,501-$10,000                  49/108                              52/108

$10,001-$50,000                77/108                              93/108

$50,001-$100,000              No sales                           T-86 (last with a sale)

$100,000+                          No sales                           T-68/81 (three 1913 sales)

I didn't evaluate below $200, as it isn't financially meaningful, but presume the ranking is higher since a noticeable of the 112 series aren't available below this price point.

On 9/4/2023 at 10:38 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Hey dipsh*t the first paragraph was copy and pasted from the NGC coin website. Including the statement about collecting by date and mint.  If you would like to dispute the NGC description and story about these coins by all means do it. You would be in character and accurately acting as you are a complete fool.

So you plagiarized the NGC website and did not give credit where credit is due, what a surprise.   Sorry, I'm sure that plagiarized is too big a word since your vocabulary is limited to four letter words; here is the definition of plagiarism from the on-line Merriam-Webster dictionary.   Notice how I have given proper credit where credit is due.

" to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source"

The question is why did you start this thread at all, you put forth no new information since you just plagiarized the first part and then gave extremely poor investment advice.  Actually, this post does make sense, it is a perfect reflection of you.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 9/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If you prefer not to have facts, that's fine. But please don't spread your ignorance or venom beyond your own soggy hole in the swamp. Why not try another message board such as this one: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum.

You're certain to receive a warm and vaporous welcome.

:)

On 9/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, RWB said:

If you prefer not to have facts, that's fine. But please don't spread your ignorance or venom beyond your own soggy hole in the swamp. Why not try another message board such as this one: https://forums.collectors.com/categories/u-s-coin-forum.

You're certain to receive a warm and vaporous welcome.

:)

Ooh, "vaporous". I LIKE IT!

On 9/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'll contribute to and read any thread posts, even those pumping something I am not familiar with....I always believe you can learn something from other people.

But civility is Job #1 here, regardless of the substance debated.

“Mikey won’t eat it. He hates everything,”