• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 Wheat Penny Error

36 posts in this topic

The information you received on the PCGS forum is correct and the same as you will receive here.   Not an error just damaged from a hit to the numeral.

I agree with the others. Damage. The 2 took a hit from something and displaced the metal. Ive got a jar full of wheaties and several look alot like that from the damage they recieved over the years. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Clear, cropped photos of both sides of the coin would be useful. I would be curious to see the rest of the coin and if there are any other violent hits to it. I'm not going to comment on a close up of a random numeral which could be the second 2 of a 1922 or any of the 20-29 dates without the proper picture to go with it.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:53 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I agree with the others. Damage. The 2 took a hit from something and displaced the metal. Ive got a jar full of wheaties and several look a lot like that from the damage they received over the years. 

Buy A.Coin --- Please read this comment, above. It is correct.

Next time you think you've found an "error" ask the board members about it before you waste $50+ on a coin worth no more than 10-cents (including damage).

Fine Details - Cleaned.  No error. A 1927 cent in Fine, NOT cleaned, is listed at 45 cents RETAIL in the 2024 Red Book. And that’s without DAMAGE also.

Can we PLEASE reel in this mania over errors which are NOT errors? It’s really ruining the coin hobby badly.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, VKurtB said:

Can we PLEASE reel in this mania over errors which are NOT errors? It’s really ruining the coin hobby badly.

I wish we could Kurt. I wish we could. Back when I started collecting, I would have never even looked at a coin like this as an error. It just wasn't anything we looked for. I didn't understand at age 7 what made an error but it wasn't something like this. Something missing the design or missing a part of the coin was what I looked for back then. Even back then there were vise jobs and other damage, but it just looked man made so we didn't even give it a second look. Now we got people pulling out the 50X and 100X mag to look for every tiny imperfection in a process that pumps out billions of coins a year. I would say try not to let it bother you and the only thing we can do is try to educate people one at a time.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, Buy A. Coin said:

Where 

I just explained to you where. There is a hit on the 2 that is of your area of concern which disturbed the metal, but there is also a hit on the I in IN and another hit on the G in GOD.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Seek out SUPERIOR. That’s what’s valuable.

I agree 100%! My collecting reflects just that. I used to buy something because it was "old". My G4 1819 Large Cent was the "pinnacle" of my collection solely because of the date. That cent has long been sold off. I have an 1806 in AU details. I have a 1797 Stems Rev. of 97 in XF details. Also, my original Morgans from way back then got sold off. Basically cull. Various dates and mintmarks, none were keys. Now my Morgan collecting is nothing less than MS 62 (once again, key dates will be the exception) but I shoot for MS 64 and higher because I seek to get coins that are as nice as possible. It is hard to get away from corrosion or other problems on early Large and Half Cents unless you have big bucks, but the Lincoln Wheat series is still quite affordable in lower MS (minus the keys, 22 no D, or 55 DDO) and certainly worth seeking out specimens without damage.

I think you meant to ask if that was a 1937/27 cent with a re-punched date (RPD) and not an error.  Regardless, there is no shot at a RPD with that date, and the "3" would be the wrong size and shape.

It is just a cleaned and damaged 1927 cent, which took a hit on the "2" and moved the soft copper metal.  And you can check out a 1937 cent on NGC Coin Explorer to verify the numbers wouldn't match.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/1/2023 at 12:26 PM, powermad5000 said:

I agree 100%! My collecting reflects just that. I used to buy something because it was "old". My G4 1819 Large Cent was the "pinnacle" of my collection solely because of the date. That cent has long been sold off. I have an 1806 in AU details. I have a 1797 Stems Rev. of 97 in XF details. Also, my original Morgans from way back then got sold off. Basically cull. Various dates and mintmarks, none were keys. Now my Morgan collecting is nothing less than MS 62 (once again, key dates will be the exception) but I shoot for MS 64 and higher because I seek to get coins that are as nice as possible. It is hard to get away from corrosion or other problems on early Large and Half Cents unless you have big bucks, but the Lincoln Wheat series is still quite affordable in lower MS (minus the keys, 22 no D, or 55 DDO) and certainly worth seeking out specimens without damage.

Several, but not all, chemically active spots on old copper are treatable with conservation chemicals, as long as you believe, as I do, that “dark” is preferable to green or blue damage. Some are well known, like extra virgin olive oil, but other better ones are proprietary secrets. By the way, if you want to play around with olive oils, think in terms of weeks and months, not minutes and hours. I have three non-U.S. coppers in EVOO right now. Tiny Tupperware is your friend. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/1/2023 at 9:42 AM, Buy A. Coin said:

Where 

You have asked a couple times on two major forums with a bunch of experts answering you “where”.  The damage is a hit to the number 2 in the date, that is where.  There really is no way to misunderstand where we are talking about.  The 2 in the date took damage after it was struck somewhere/sometime while it was in circulation.  This is NOT an error coin!  Unfortunately the assessment of value by everyone else is correct as well, it is worth maybe 10 cents retail.  Again, wish we all had better news for you.  

On 9/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, Buy A. Coin said:

Where 

19271937.jpg

267256784.jpg

Why would you waste money having a coin like that graded? Not being mean or anything. Just curious. Its only worth a little of face value and the grading fees are very expensive. Im just wondering why someone would wrap a $100 piece of plastic around a 10 cent coin. Espically it being cleaned. Its definately not an error coin. If it were an error it still wouldnt be worth the grading fees. 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, Buy A. Coin said:

Where 

19271937.jpg

267256784.jpg

It happened in very much the same fashion as in did in the "G" in God.  But... you don't like that (I know).  You don't like what any of the forums say, and you don't like what is on the certification.  

What do you want us to tell you?

On 9/1/2023 at 2:36 PM, Newenglandrarities said:

You have asked a couple times on two major forums with a bunch of experts answering you “where”.  The damage is a hit to the number 2 in the date, that is where.  There really is no way to misunderstand where we are talking about.  The 2 in the date took damage after it was struck somewhere/sometime while it was in circulation.  This is NOT an error coin!  Unfortunately the assessment of value by everyone else is correct as well, it is worth maybe 10 cents retail.  Again, wish we all had better news for you.  

Based on your response here and ATS, you apparently have a lot of patience with these type posters. I applaud you.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:02 PM, Newenglandrarities said:

Not always haha, but I do see people who are new to numismatics trying to research and getting a lot of bad information on YouTube nonsense or other “get rich from pocket change” type articles.  The research people are doing, while unfounded and not understood all the time, is the type of dedication start that everyone should take.  Everyone starts as a “newbie” (even me according to my forum rating!).  While I agree that many of these new collectors are “wasting their time” looking for something that will not matter to most, that type of dedication actually will make new “lifers” in the numismatic hobby.  I was constantly wrong 25+ years ago with my study and research, but I kept pushing through, and I’m so glad I did.  My career and life is coins.  I always say, a doctor goes to school for 8-10 years, I’ve gone to school for 25 years and counting, and I still have a ton to learn.  

60 years in for me, and I STILL take formal courses, not just self-learning.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

It happened in very much the same fashion as in did in the "G" in God.  But... you don't like that (I know).  You don't like what any of the forums say, and you don't like what is on the certification.  

What do you want us to tell you?

On 9/1/2023 at 3:22 PM, Buy A. Coin said:

thank you  

I think that response may have been meant for me and my response and not your comments. But either way, keep patience and keep up your research.  Learn from the studied experts on the forums and keep up looking!  It will all click, but it’s a slow gain in the beginning.  Experts here that are quick to respond are often highly educated experts in coins, for example one responder in this thread is the consensus Numismatist of the Year for 2023 and was recognized by many at a major convention.  We all here are trying to help, but if you get stuck on one coin, and argue against everyone, learning curve will be FAR greater.  I may suggest trying now to learn WHY everyone has responded that your coin is just damaged.  Once you realize the dozens of experts who have opined the same response are correct, that will be a “feather in the cap” moment and it will stick in your education.  Keep searching!  

Edited by Newenglandrarities