• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reporting items on eBay

9 posts in this topic

So, I came across an 1875 CC Trade Dollar located in Pakistan being auctioned by a seller with zero stars on eBay just a little bit ago and reported it because the seller also included a video with the listing. Well, the two photos, one of the obverse, and one of the reverse didn't even match. The obverse was of an 1875 in great MS condition with superb luster (this was probably a photo of an 1875 S obverse), the reverse photo was of a CC but had a most likely XF reverse. Then came the video. I watched the video and the coin was quickly shown and then flipped and the video ended. The coin in the video was well worn on both sides, not the coin in the photos, and from the glimpse of the CC on the reverse, the coin in the video was a counterfeit.

So I went to report the item to eBay. What happened to the reporting process? You used to be able to type in a pop up box what reasons you have for reporting the item. In the box, you used to be able to get very specific about what you see that isn't right. Now, you get three dropdown menus and it is basically a generic (generic meaning BS) report with generic reasons. I wanted to explain exactly what I saw just like I did here.

To me, this is a huge failure on the part of eBay. They are not going to know the reasons of exactly why I was reporting it so I doubt the listing will get taken down and someone who did have a bid on it already is going to be losing a lot of money as I am sure said seller with zero stars will magically disappear once the money hits his PayPal account which will probably also disappear.

I'm very disappointed with this. eBay has worked hard to eliminate all user interactions with their help staff (which maybe just does not exist anymore), and it is to the detriment of the buyers.

There are just certain things you would buy from certain countries. You wouldn't buy a slice of Sicilian pizza from a Chop Suey joint or Mexican spot, would you?  It's common sense.  I once saw a gold 10,000 Haitian gourde with Papa Doc's Visage on it being sold from Fujian province in China. You have to ask yourself how did it get there?  True, these possibly proofs were given to dignitaries, but who are you going to call should things go South? VKurtB? I wouldn't count on it. The only thing I would buy from Pakistan is a shalwar kameez.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor die polishing.

On 9/4/2023 at 10:10 AM, Henri Charriere said:

There are just certain things you would buy from certain countries.

Thing is people do this exact thing all the time. This coin already had a bid on it, so someone somewhere who maybe didn't know any better (most likely didn't know any better) ended up losing their money and are in possession of a worthless piece of junk.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:38 AM, powermad5000 said:

....So I went to report the item to eBay. What happened to the reporting process? You used to be able to type in a pop up box what reasons you have for reporting the item. In the box, you used to be able to get very specific about what you see that isn't right. Now, you get three dropdown menus and it is basically a generic (generic meaning BS) report with generic reasons. I wanted to explain exactly what I saw just like I did here....

Possibly some good news here.  Earlier today I wrote a seller to remind him the reason why his coin was still unsold was because, being a jeweler, he was unaware that nobody is going to splurge on a gold coin (in admittedly MS condition) lacking formal certification. He bombards me regularly with queries, such as, What is your best price? failing to realize that the coin in question, if an MS-66 would sell for $600, whereas an MS-67 might go for $1,250, or more. He insists on $1,500, OBO.

This time when I reported his unacceptable listing practice, I noticed that the "box" you referred to earlier, magically materialized!  Maybe eBay received complaints or maybe they wanted me to be more specific.  Fortunately, I already have that date in MS-67 and my sole intent in engaging with the buyer was to enlighten him to the wonderful world of numismatics. That's all.  Briefly:  if you're going to throw over a thousand dollars to a private party you never met or spoke to, "Great Condition," a meaningless term is presumptuous.  A basic starting point is certification accompanied by informative photography.  I have never had to return a coin yet.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:29 PM, Henri Charriere said:

"Great Condition," a meaningless term is presumptuous.  A basic starting point is certification accompanied by informative photography.  I have never had to return a coin yet.

This term "great condition" falls under the plethora of other basically useless terms used to describe a coin (brilliant uncirculated, gem, superb, flawless, super sharp, etc.) as each is used by the person holding the coin using their own opinion (#1 - opinion, #2- can be either educated or uneducated), where as someone who is highly educated, well versed with the coin series, and has a keen eye for things such as cleaning, hairlines, etc. would not describe the same coin as such. We in this forum sometimes even argue the grade of a coin in a slab.

I agree with you, that on any gold coin, a certification is a necessary part of the arrangement to buy such said coin over the internet, mostly for a guarantee of a genuine specimen.

I have only had to return one coin in all of my purchases (a 1921 Peace dollar) as it had too numerous hairlines not evident in the photos, but once received, the coin tilted to the room lighting showed these hairlines clearly. This was not a case of the seller trying to defraud me, as these things also happen at coin shows and it is not found unitl the dealer takes the coin out of the case for further examination.

I am glad to hear that the explanation box has returned. Possibly in my case it was missing due to the listing???? I do hope they keep it as I feel it is necessary on their end to have a distinct description of what the situation is.

(See my latest Topic entitled "eBay invite." I challenged five different Rooster sellers and apparently eBay took note, and even invited me to join a discussion group on ways to improve the site.  Two things primarily, get my goat: listing an uncertified gold coin at multiple times its FMV.  I may be only a voice in the crowd but if there is anyone else on this Forum, or any other that knows more about the 16-coin series, he hasn't spoken up. I do what I can.)

On 11/13/2023 at 9:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

See my latest Topic entitled "eBay invite.

I did see this topic and commented there. I still had an issue with the "generic" dropdown box last time I reported a listing. I want to be able to tell those at eBay my exact reasons why I am reporting an item as I feel that makes the report more credible and not just a "generic complaint".

Yes, they are in a state of transition. It's easy to demand Facebook police its site but that would require hiring more personnel and a greater outlay of funds. I would imagine eBay has had its fill of dishonest coin sellers.

@powermad5000 :

You may wish to read the latest Topic I just posted, entitled:  "eBay:  False Advertising."

I expressed an interest in being notified if any specific coin dates certified MS-67 showed up -- 42 in all, all received at a specific time this morning... all inapplicable.  I attempted to report each, separately, but was prevented from doing so.

Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct misspelling