• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC staff - stay dry and safe

10 posts in this topic

Are you guys ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you like being on the Florida Gulf Coast?

On 8/29/2023 at 4:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I havent heard much about this hurricane. Do they think its gonna do alot of damage? I got an email saying NGC was gonna shut down until its over. 

..they all have that potential of course n even with the best projections there r surprises...but the bottom line is people r more important than timelines....

On 8/29/2023 at 1:47 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I havent heard much about this hurricane. Do they think its gonna do alot of damage? I got an email saying NGC was gonna shut down until its over. 

The last projection I saw had it making landfall as a category 2 or 3, but that may have changed since I last looked.   A category 3 could do some substantial damage.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

The last projection I saw had it making landfall as a category 2 or 3, but that may have changed since I last looked.   A category 3 could do some substantial damage.

I sure hope everyone fairs ok down in that part of the country. My heart and prayers are with all those affected. Most important I hope everyone stays safe. Next I hope everyones coins stay safe. I always wondered how many coin collections were destroyed by bad storms such as hurricanes and tornadoes. You see whole communities out west completely destroyed by severe tornadoes. Nothing but foundations left.  Has anyone besides me ever wondered how many rare coins were scattered by them never to be seen again? Unless someone metal detecting stumbles over them?  Breaks my heart to see people lose their home and everything else they got. 

It came ashore about 175 miles north of Sarasota at 7:45 am this morning.  (Wednesday)

Sarasota is well outside of the eye wall.

Things that weren't secured, or in disrepair in general, can come loose and cause more significant damage.  That's about it.

My assessment is that Sarasota will be just fine.

The one thing nice thing about a hurricane is that once it passes by, the air is much cleaner, and maybe cooler than usual.  You get some buffeting of wind still, and random showers, but there is a general uplift in spirits if you were far enough away to not have had to worry significantly.

I suppose Sarasota's nearby shoreline will see a slight storm surge, but it will be more of a curiosity than a worrisome threat.  And there will be palm tree fronds littered all over the place… nonetheless, the page has turned and it is a new chapter.

According to some extraordinarily detailed meteorological maps, Sarasota was spared and lay well right of the counter-clockwise thrust of the gusts and storm surge although outlying areas may not have been spared.  Last I heard, the hurricane had been downgraded and was already up in the Carolinas. Close call.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die-polishing.