• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 d quarter 180 reversed die
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2023 at 12:47 PM, Kassi24 said:

If it were so common why isn’t it in any of the error books?

Numismatic guidebooks tend to list pieces that are both rare and popular.   As we've tried to explain, coins struck from rotated dies, especially in a medallic alignment and on modern coins, may be scarce, but they have never attracted a substantial following among collectors of mint errors, unlike coins struck on the wrong planchets or in the wrong compositions, struck multiple times, struck over previously struck coins of different types, or struck from severely defective dies. If your coin is worth $30 to $50 as some knowledgeable members have stated, I'd say that's pretty good for a circulated 1970-D quarter, which would normally be worth face value.

If you like this type of error, you are welcome to collect them, and you should be able to find them from time to time at venues such as coin shops and coin shows at a reasonable price.   

If it were so common why isn’t it in any of the error books? If it were such a common error wouldn’t it be somewhere in the books? 

They cant go find every single variety of coin and put them in the books. Best you can do is search for that type of error. There are tons of rotated die error coins out there. Were just trying to tell you its not a rare error. The 1965 SMS coins @Just Bob mentioned are highly collectable. Finding an error on a mint condition coin that is highly collectable usually will fetch a pretty good price. The one on the SMS only brought $180. One on just a regular quarter in mint shape wouldnt bring near as much let alone on a heavily circulated regular quarter. No one is being rude to you. But no one will sugar coat it neither. They are giving good honest answers to your questions and trying to help educate you on your error coin. No one is gonna lie and say its something it is not. We are trying to tell you from the letter you shared in one of your first post that its no where near as valuable as what that letter says. I would guess it being worth around $30 to $40. I wouldnt pay no more than that. If I did I would buy one in uncirculated condition. Theres several  rotated die errors out there to buy if someone wanted one. I definately wouldnt give what some are asking on etsy and ebay. Some have lost their minds pricing them for hundreds of dollars. Its definately a very cool find. I would be very excited to find it myself. If I were to find one Im also willing to accept reality that its not valuabe and cant go by all the misinformation of the internet and YouTube. Its very cool your not planning to sell it and want to keep it. Maybe it can be a great start to starting a collection. Coin collecting is a very fun hobby. You can buy coin flips or capsules to put your finds in such as that one to further protect them. Errors like that are not really worth sending in to have graded unless they are uncirculated and on something highly collectable such as the 1965 SMS mentioned earlier. If you do start collecting you will learn really quick not to trust most information about coins off sites like Google and YouTube. They are a cess pool of misinformation. Also if you see coins online with a high price tag that dosent mean thats what its worth. Anyone who wants can post anything they want online but that dosent mean its correct. All the collectors who responded to you have decades of experience. Most are experts and some have wrote numerous books in numismatics. They are not trying to be rude. They are trying to educate you with reality. I dont like everything I hear but Im willing to accept it if its reality. You are correct. Its very unique and a great find. Definately a keeper. Keep searching and you may find other coins worth keeping. Such as W quarters and other error coins. But do some research on what a true error is and what aint. Some coins will fool you. Learn the difference in machine doubling and true doubling. Good luck to you. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, Kassi24 said:

It’s a one of a kind to me. I think it’s unique, I have a few other 1970 quarters same mint and they are just fine. I wasn’t even trying to sell it. I just wondered other peoples thoughts about it. People are so rude sometimes. It may mean nothing to anyone else but I think it’s pretty cool. And I’ve yet to find another like it so it’s rare to me.

I have submitted some pocket change and have gotten a few errors back, and I think it is great you got something like this in change. I also think it's great that it is a one of a kind to you. Hopefully it makes you want to keep looking for other things. I, as well as others, though are not trying to be rude to you. It is just sometimes when people come on here and think they have some ultra rare coin worth tens of thousands of dollars (and they do come on here in droves), we give the honest full truth. And sometimes that "pops someone's bubble", but if someone came to you and insisted 2+2=6, you would have to tell them that is incorrect. That's kind of how it is for us on here. And we can't just agree when they say 2+2=6 just to make them feel good about being wrong.

If you take away anything from this, let it be this : You have a coin that none of us on here have (and some of us have been collecting for 60+ years). You also have a coin that cost you $0 to get and is worth 25 to 50 times its value. Heck, most of us on here are happy to get a coin that ends up being 3 times its purchase value. I think you did pretty darn well on it! (thumbsu

Edited by powermad5000

If it were so common why isn’t it in any of the error books? If it were such a common error wouldn’t it be somewhere in the books?

Try the attached reference, which you should have a copy of if you are into error coins.  I believe it has some rotated die prices but I misplaced my copy.

Book - The Official Price Guide to Mint Errors 7th ED.jpg

On 8/29/2023 at 9:45 AM, Kassi24 said:

It’s a one of a kind to me. I think it’s unique, I have a few other 1970 quarters same mint and they are just fine. I wasn’t even trying to sell it. I just wondered other peoples thoughts about it. People are so rude sometimes. It may mean nothing to anyone else but I think it’s pretty cool. And I’ve yet to find another like it so it’s rare to me. 

Many people on here think they are the coin police and/ or have long protracted rambling answers to very simple questions. Some are very well versed in overall coins and collecting while others have a very limited scope. Others simply must insult others in an attempt to discredit thier opinions in attempt to bolster thier own status and opinion. These members are not interested in getting people into the hobby they are interested in being right. You are right to say this is a rare coin. I guarantee none of the people here that said it was a common coin worth nothing even have anything like it. Its a great find dont let these Debbie Downers diminish your excitement for searching and collecting coins.

Once again I agree with you Mike. Thank you for your kind words. I know if they had it they would be saying something different. People will be haters and that’s fine. I’m not even a coin collector. It was something that for some reason or another I noticed in the change I got back from grocery store. I thought it was pretty neat. It’s very clear to see who thinks they run this place and who doesn’t. I find it pretty comical. People making this out to be way more than it is. I was simply just curious to know if anyone else had a coin like this or knew anything about it. It was a simple question, I appreciate the feedback but I don’t appreciate when people try putting other people down because they think they know everything. It may be worth nothing to these people and that’s okay. It means something to me and at the end of the day that’s all that matters. People trying to be bossy and telling people what they can and can’t post and how to ask questions and what questions to ask. Really people it’s not that deep who named you people the boss. It should be a place where anyone should be able to ask anything they want about anything pertaining to coins. If you don’t want to read or answer the question politely move on. Not that big of a deal. Stop being so uptight people relax a little. Thanks Mike I think you’re an okay kinda guy! 

On 8/30/2023 at 3:10 AM, Kassi24 said:

I’m not even a coin collector. It was something that for some reason or another I noticed in the change I got back from grocery store.

Interesting that you're not even a novice collector but noticed the coin struck with a rotated die.  Particularly since if you turn the coin over horizontally (instead of vertically) it would be almost right side up, which may not seem unusual to the average person.

It was finding unusual things like that, very old coins or exceptionally shiny coins going through jars of pocket change that got me interested in coin collecting.

Maybe the start of a new hobby for you, in which case maybe get some mylar flips like the attached to put the coin in.  But if not, still a nice find!

archival-2-mylar-plastic-coin-flips-for-storage-choose-quantity-25-50-100.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, Kassi24 said:

Anyway, I did find this article. Does anyone know what this is about? Could it pertain to my quarter in anyway. 

A48197B0-C5D2-445D-AE1B-BCFC872CC538.png

This post here is why you got some of the answers you did. You asked if this article pertained to your quarter in anyway. You got honest answers that it is not worth no where near as much as whoever wrote that letter is stating those dollars were worth. You got an estimated value of what your piece would bring at market. Posting things like this and asking makes us assume your wondering if its valuable. 

It is a very cool piece. I would love to find one. I dont have any in my collection but Im not really interested in errors but I do save them as I find them. If I was interested in them Id buy one simular to it for around $40 at a coin shop or off Ebay. These are easy to find from error dealers. Maybe not that particular date but the ones they have are mostly one of a kind also. 

The way your quarter was made was sometimes the dies come loose from all the vibration and movement and rotate and strike the coin like that. When employees realize it they shut the machine down and reset the dies. Sometimes a few get passed them in quality control and come out where us collectors try to find them. The mint dosent like to release them but its hard to find everything when they are striking thousands of coins. 

I agree with you its very unique. Im very happy for you that you found it. Maybe it will be the start of a new hobby for you. But if you post things like the post above it makes us think your wondering if its valuable.We just assumed because were not mind readers.  We try to give honest accurate answers and advice to peoples questions. Sometimes they may not like what they hear but they will get the truth. 

On 8/30/2023 at 2:10 AM, Kassi24 said:

I know if they had it they would be saying something different. People will be haters and that’s fine.

I still do not see where in my response (or any basically here) where there was a hate involved. I gave a fair assessment of your coin. I have no desire to own it as I already have my own Medallic Alignment error. I have owned the coin below for about three years now. I am not an error collector, but I have about 20 errors in my collection. I am sorry if my responses were took with offense as none was intended. If I did not already own this coin is irrelevant and would not have changed my responses any. Having collected, bought, and sold for 45+ years, the business and value end of this hobby is mostly a sobering experience when it comes time to sell. Especially when a dealer pulls out their Greysheet and throws their number at you.

PXL_20211018_044132495~2 (2).jpg

On 8/30/2023 at 12:08 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

These members are not interested in getting people into the hobby they are interested in being right.

Mike is absolutely correct here. I don’t care if no more people ever take up this hobby. I’m not about selling ANYBODY on the hobby. I ABSOLUTELY AM ABOUT BEING RIGHT. GUILTY AS CHARGED. You like the hobby? Great. Welcome. You don’t like it? It makes no difference to me. I couldn’t care less. I’m not selling ANYTHING.  

By the way, I STILL am waiting for a high resolution edge photo. Until I see one, I’m going to assume this is a scam and the coin is a mechanical put-together. Occam’s razor requires that assumption. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/29/2023 at 11:45 AM, Kassi24 said:

And that's all that really matters right(thumbsu

If you want to go ahead and assume it’s been “put together” go ahead and assume all you want. Lol that’s totally fine with me. Like I said I’m not a coin collector I just happen to find this in some change I got back. I have better things to do then figure out how to make fake coins. That’s not my thing. It’s been verified to me from credible coin shops in the Salt Lake City area that it is a real quarter nothing fake about it. Assume whatever you want it isn’t going to make a difference to me either way. Have a great night!

On 8/26/2023 at 7:57 PM, Kassi24 said:

coins they were talking about that were worth $2000 were the 20 upside down dollar coins released in 1989

They were rotated reverse Bicentennial of Congress commemorative dollars.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:46 AM, LOCK34 said:

Always remember that for a conversation to have validity, fact must supersede opinion.

Yeah, you’d think so, but no. This is numismatics. Opinion all over the place. Sorry, that’s real.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:38 PM, Kassi24 said:

If you want to go ahead and assume it’s been “put together” go ahead and assume all you want. Lol that’s totally fine with me. Like I said I’m not a coin collector I just happen to find this in some change I got back. I have better things to do then figure out how to make fake coins. That’s not my thing. It’s been verified to me from credible coin shops in the Salt Lake City area that it is a real quarter nothing fake about it. Assume whatever you want it isn’t going to make a difference to me either way. Have a great night!

Just because you didnt make it dosent mean someone before you didnt make it and put it back into circulation. People do all sorts of crazy things to coins. No one is accusing you of making fake coins. You asked for help and they are trying to help you. And its very critical they see the edge of the coin to help. I believe you its legit and you took and had it checked but the people on here are just simply asking for a picture so they can verify it as well. If you go to a doctor and then go get a second opinion from another doctor in another state, the doctor who knows nothing about the first doctor is going to take their word for what they said was wrong with you.  They will want to check you out for themselves. Thats why you were asked for an edge picture of the coin. You came on here asking for help. In coins those pictures are crucial pieces of evidence needed to help check your coin. If those coin shops were that credible then they would have been able to tell you how it was made during the minting process and its value. If they dont know that then they dont need to be selling people coins. If you were just wanting a second opinion from people on here then dont get upset when questions are asked and listen to their advice. There are experts on here with decades of experience. They are very much into numismatics and enjoy helping people but you have to want to be helped. 

On 9/9/2023 at 3:09 PM, Kassi24 said:

And?

I assume your comment is in response to what @Conder101 said. He is saying  the coin values in the letter you shared were a completely different type of coin than what you have and they were more valuable. Same type error though. Like I was saying in one of my earlier post, a special series of a coin  thats uncirculated with an error is much more valuable than a very common coin thats heavily circulated with the same type of error. Its like trying to compare steak to lettuce. Lettuce is still good but a little less valuable than steak. 

On 9/13/2023 at 9:27 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Everyone here agrees that the coin is a nice find.  Anyone of us would love to find it in change.  The debate is over the price.  Unless you are planning on selling it, the price doesn't matter.  Enjoy your trophy from the wild and don't be concerned with the price.  Selling this coin will only take the joy out of your experience, this I can assure you.

Very well said. 

I don't mind being labeled some kind of jerk because being a jerk USUALLY proves me correct. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast in numismatics. The guy challenging you all over the place and not spraying sunshine up your you-know-what is gonna be the guy who is right. It's Occam's razor applied. When we see a "perfect" medallic alignment on a modern coin, it's like 1,000 to 1 it's a manufactured fake.

My earlier post was this:

"By the way, I STILL am waiting for a high resolution edge photo. Until I see one, I’m going to assume this is a scam and the coin is a mechanical put-together. Occam’s razor requires that assumption."

Learn it now. There are faaaaaaar more scam coins out there than real rarities. I am NOT here to make people feeeel good. That's what Barney the Dinosaur reruns are for. I'm here to deliver cold hard truth.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/30/2023 at 12:08 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

You are right to say this is a rare coin. I guarantee none of the people here that said it was a common coin worth nothing even have anything like it. Its a great find dont let these Debbie Downers diminish your excitement for searching and collecting coins.

Good ol' MM is proven to be a dope again.

So one thing still bothers me. Did you really NOT show this to dealers in Salt Lake City, or are the dealers you showed it to just incompetent dopes? It has to be one or the other. A BEGINNER could see that is a manufactured fake inside of 5 seconds examination.