• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D cent sm or lg
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I am familiar with the three main characteristics that you look at to determine whether or not it’s a lg or small date and the “2” is usually pretty easy to tell. However, in this case, the 2 does look like a lg date but then the rest appears to be more like a small date. The 9 is lower and is comparable to the small date, and all the letters are similar to a small date as they are more defined. 

IMG_5177.jpeg

Sorry, but this coin is clearly a large date. None of the characteristics to which you refer resembles that of the "small date" hub. 

I've never had any trouble distinguishing either variety from the other since these coins were issued in 1982. They just look distinctly different to me at a glance.  I suggest that you stop focusing on individual numerals and letters, as this method seems to be confusing you, and instead place a known example of each variety side by side and take into your mind an image of each individual coin as a whole, or at least each one's entire date. Hopefully, you will then learn to recognize each one.

The coin in the photo is a large date. The numerals were not individually changed on the dies at any time. Master hubs produce working hubs. Working hubs produce working dies. All of the numerals of a large date will be the same as all large dates struck regardless of the billions made as well as the numerals of the small date will be the same as all of the small dates struck.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, ChWitt said:

... in this case, the 2 does look like a lg date but ...

Yes it definitely does look like a large date "2".  No need to go any further to torture yourself looking for that rainbow unicorn 1-in-3 billion chance it's a 1982-D copper small date.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:47 PM, ChWitt said:

... the rest appears to be more like a small date. The 9 is lower and is comparable to the small date, and all the letters are similar to a small date as they are more defined

As if identifying the "2" as a large date isn't enough (it is), if you level the date and zoom in to put a box around it (see attached example) you will see that the alignment is consistent with a large date, as well as the shape of the "8".

See the following topic for an infographic on the 1982-D copper small cents to help with your future endeavors ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/

1982 D Cent Forum - Date.jpg