• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 p dime
1 1

17 posts in this topic

You have posted in the wrong forum, this is the forum for buying, selling coins.  
I have asked that it be moved to the proper forum.

As far as your coin goes, that is some sort of environmental toning  which is
considered damage and is worth 10 cents.  
Also in  the future, please include photos of both sides of your coin.

The copper-nickel alloy (75% copper, 25% nickel) of which nickels and the outer layers of 1965 to date clad dimes and quarters and of 1971 to date half dollars are composed is chemically reactive and turns a dark red to black color like this when a coin is buried in the earth or otherwise exposed to corrosive substances. The "coating" consists of chemical compounds resulting from the corrosion process. It is of no interest or value to collectors. 

On 8/24/2023 at 4:26 PM, RWB said:

The "coating" will keep FDR warm in winter....

(It's just discoloration - not a variety, error, or even a turnip. Sorry.)

“Here Johnny, what do you make of this?”

”Oh, I dunno. A hat? A broach? A pterodactyl?”

On 8/24/2023 at 5:37 PM, Sandon said:

The copper-nickel alloy (75% copper, 25% nickel) of which nickels and the outer layers of 1965 to date clad dimes and quarters and of 1971 to date half dollars are composed is chemically reactive and turns a dark red to black color like this when a coin is buried in the earth or otherwise exposed to corrosive substances. The "coating" consists of chemical compounds resulting from the corrosion process. It is of no interest or value to collectors. 

“But it’s DIFFERENT. It has to be an important error.” :roflmao:

On 8/25/2023 at 12:03 AM, Stockwiz78 said:

16929360203725164946453216901294.jpg

I know what environmental damage is. I do have a coin that has an extra coating, now can someone give me a estimate on what it could be worth 

On 8/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, Stockwiz78 said:

I know what environmental damage is. I do have a coin that has an extra coating, now can someone give me a estimate on what it could be worth 

Already did. Ten cents.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:06 PM, Stockwiz78 said:

We cannot help you if you do not help us with good photos.   I said earlier that we need photos of both sides and the edge, however, your edge photo is not in focus, well your fingers are but the edge of the coin is not.   Do you have a calibrated scale that can weigh to two decimal places?   If so what is the weight?   Without anything to go on all anyone can say at this point is you have a dime worth ten cents.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:06 PM, Stockwiz78 said:

LISTEN! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS HAVING AN EXTRA COATING. PLEASE UNDERSTAND ME..

On 8/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, Stockwiz78 said:

I have a 1999 p dime with an extra coating ...

How would an extra coating get on the dime at the mint?  That's a question you need to ask yourself when looking for error coins.

It's not possible for a struck coin to then end up with an extra coating at the mint.  If it's not something that could happen at the mint then it's not an error or worth anything extra.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/forum/90-newbie-coin-collecting-questions/

I agree with the others. It looks like some of the dimes Ive found metal detecting. When they are under ground they turn that color. So do quarters. Ive washed several off and put them back in circulation such as probably thousands of other metal detector hobbiest has done. If it really does have another coating then it was probably from a school science project or something like that. It never came from the mint like that. It would be considered post mint damage. A good way to verify it is to weigh it and see if it is in mint tolerance or not.