• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small or large date?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

The coin has some damage I'm thinking it might be a small date as the “2” has a more “crooked “ shape instead of the more “straight” 2. 

IMG_5165.jpeg

IMG_5051.jpeg

Edited by ChWitt

Some damage  lol   I cannot even begin to think of a good reason to care with a coin in such a damaged condition, doh! spend it quick before it rots away to a pile of zinc dust.

Edited by Coinbuf

Apparently the op is wasting time using a scope and looking for a rainbow colored unicorn 1982-D copper small date after likely having watched some uninformed TY person.  To each his own on how you spend free time.

You would have better odds playing the mega lottery as only 2 of those have been found of about [16 billion total struck that year, so the odds are about 1 in 8 billion].  And I understand the 2 found were not from general circulation.

Also, you typically only have to look at the "2" to see if it's a large date like the one the op posted per the attached.

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, EagleRJO said:

only 2 of those have been found of about 20 million struck that year,

The mint has never broken down the mintages of 1982 and 1982-D cents by either composition or date size, but it was widely believed that none of the 1982-D small dates was struck in the brass (95% copper) composition until the two examples were discovered not long ago. It has been assumed that they were struck on a few stray brass planchets left in the bins. It is unknown how many were struck. @EagleRJO--Where did you get this figure of 20 million, and to what composition and variety does it refer?

On 8/21/2023 at 8:44 PM, Sandon said:

The mint has never broken down the mintages of 1982 and 1982-D cents by either composition or date size ... @EagleRJO--Where did you get this figure of 20 million, and to what composition and variety does it refer?

It's about 11 [billion] 1982 (P) and about 6 [billion] 1982-D from the Red Book, so thats [over 16 billion, or almost 20 billion in round numbers] total for that year of all varieties if you are looking by date.  Then you have to look for the D mark [which narrows it down to 6 billion], then look at small or large date, and then weight.  A lot of coins to weed through for what I consider a wild goose chase.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/21/2023 at 9:59 PM, EagleRJO said:

It's about 11 million 1982 (P) and about 6 million 1982-D from the Red Book, so almost 20 million in round numbers total for that year of all varieties if you are looking by date. 

@EagleRJO--I assume you're referring to the total of approximately 11 billion (10,712,525,000) 1982 and 6 billion (6,012,979,368) 1982-D cents of all compositions and varieties, for a total of approximately 16.725 billion pieces dated 1982.  I still don't know to what the 20 million figure refers. If your point is simply that it would be a wild goose chase for one to attempt to find in circulation one of the presumably tiny number of 1982-D small date brass ("copper") cents issued out of the over six billion 1982-D cents issued over 40 years ago, then it is a point well taken.