• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1860 Three Cent Silver Die Clash on Reverse center. Does it look cleaned? Anything else welcome.

16 posts in this topic

Many silver three cent pieces that I've seen display clash marks like this. The coin appears to have either AU or uncirculated details, but the photos are too blurry and too poorly lit to say more.  It's often difficult to determine whether a coin has been "cleaned" from any photos, as assessment of a coin's surfaces require in-person examination from different angles, lightings, and magnification levels. 

Trime is a "nickname" used to refer to the three cent silver. Imho, your coin appears to have AU details. Many of these coins have similar marks on either the obverse or reverse or both. None of them would get a clash designation as they are considered too minor. As for cleaning, it is almost impossible to tell that from photos unless it was a harsh cleaning or improper and deep hairlines are plainly visible. 

On 8/18/2023 at 10:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

Trime is a "nickname" used to refer to the three cent silver. Imho, your coin appears to have AU details. Many of these coins have similar marks on either the obverse or reverse or both. None of them would get a clash designation as they are considered too minor. As for cleaning, it is almost impossible to tell that from photos unless it was a harsh cleaning or improper and deep hairlines are plainly visible. 

Oh ok, just like how others call them "fish scales" yeah I read that it was common for that year but its still a cool piece :)

On 8/18/2023 at 11:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

"Trime" was never a common nickname either when the coin was in use or later. A few have tried to add that moniker, but the name has never stuck and remains an oddity.

On 8/19/2023 at 9:42 AM, ldhair said:

Nice bold clash. I'm thinking the coin looks better than the images are showing. 

The tarnish or toning doesn't bother me and in person you can even see a little color and with a loupe the clash looks much better than my not so good picture. It's just so small and hard to focus for a good picture but I do enjoy the detail with the naked eye it was a decent piece to add to my collection since I didn't own any Silver Three Cent pieces just a nickel Three Cent. Wish it was encapsulated but I'm pretty sure it's not worth grading I thought it was a possible AU50.

I like the coin and the series, your example does seem to have solid AU details but impossible to say if it has been cleaned or not from the photos.   While the correct term is three cent silver, and regardless of what Roger wrote above, these coins have been the recipient of nicknames like trimes and as you noted fish scales by collectors and dealers.   These are prone to displaying clash marks like yours, while I personally never consider clashing to be value adding they are interesting to view.

On 8/19/2023 at 11:38 AM, Coinbuf said:

While the correct term is three cent silver these coins have been the recipient of nicknames like trimes and as you noted fish scales by collectors and dealers.   

These are prone to displaying clash marks like yours, while I personally never consider clashing to be value adding they are interesting to view.

Yeah figured most people have heard "Trime" or "Fish Scales" but I know some people can be very specific or technical no worries. 

Yes, definitely interesting to view or to talk about with others sadly..common.

Yea, nice find.  One you can put in a mylar fip and add to a "minor errors and varieties" box.

These coins are tiny.  The smallest coin I ever had was a 1/10 oz gold eagle with a diameter of 16.5 mm and thickness of 1.2 mm.  You almost needed a mag glass just to make out details.  By comparison a dime is 17.9 mm in diameter and 1.4 mm thick.

Trimes at 14.0 mm in diameter and 0.75 mm thick are even smaller and thinner, and partly why people started calling them "fish scales".  I think It was the smallest non-gold coin ever struck my the mint.

I really like clashed coins even though most dont bring no value. I still think they are neat finds. Espically when you find them roll hunting. Ive found a small hand full of them. I put them in coin flips and put them up in my saved coins. I really like the clash on that 3 cent silver. Ive seen a few of them on Ebay the past couple years. Ive been meaning to eventually buy one for my minor variety and errors collection. Im usually not big on error coins but I will save them as I find them and I do have a soft spot for clashes. I would consider buying clashed coins if its a good enough clash. I enjoy looking at them also. Thanks for sharing. 

I've seen a lot of three cent silvers that show die clashes.  What has always struck me as odd is the dies were almost always rotated when they clashed.  I will admit though that I haven't been checking to see whether the dies were rotated on the struck coin.