• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D penny small date real
1 1

26 posts in this topic

This 1982-D cent is a small date. I can see some small plating "bubbles", which identify it as copper plated zinc, as are virtually all 1982-D small date cents.

On 8/15/2023 at 11:50 PM, powermad5000 said:

Another vote for small date.

Yup, a 1982-D Small Date Lincoln Cent.  But I would bet the family ranch it's plated zinc that weighs roughly 2.50 grams.

There were over 6 billion (yes with a "b") copper plated zinc small date and large date 1982-D cents struck that year since it was a transition year, with the circulated ones that are typically posted worth about 2 cents or less.  And so far only two valuable small date copper 1982-D cents, so that's one-in-three billion odds.

It really amazes me how many people it seems actively look for a (virtually-zero-rainbow-unicorn-better-odds-at-hitting-mega-lottery) rare small date copper 1982-D cent.  But knock yourself out for those that know the chance of finding a rare one is virtually zero and enjoy looking anyway, and why I compiled the attached infographic to help with the search.

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

On 8/15/2023 at 10:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yup, a 1982-D Small Date Lincoln Cent.  But I would bet the family ranch it's plated zinc that weighs roughly 2.50 grams.

There were over 6 billion (yes with a "b") copper plated zinc small date and large date 1982-D cents struck that year since it was a transition year, with the circulated ones that are typically posted worth about 2 cents or less.  And so far only two valuable small date copper 1982-D cents, so that's one-in-three billion odds.

It really amazes me how many people it seems actively look for a (virtually-zero-rainbow-unicorn-better-odds-at-hitting-mega-lottery) rare small date copper 1982-D cent.  But knock yourself out for those that know the chance of finding a rare one is virtually zero and enjoy looking anyway, and why I compiled the attached infographic to help with the search.

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

I gotta say you're a little off on 1 thing lol

If we don't buy a lottery ticket we're garunteed to not win.

And if we don't look for the 82 D small date,, we sure won't find it lol

On 8/15/2023 at 8:31 PM, PennyHoarder said:

I have  a 1982 D penny . Can someone please tell me if its a small date ?

Thanks

Small date zinc, very common coin just a spender.

On 3/5/2024 at 4:13 PM, Duzzitmatter said:

You can look till the day they put you in a box you still will not find one.   Your time would be better spent and more lucrative if instead of spending that time searching for a 82-D sm date copper you got a job at the local circle K.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:13 PM, Duzzitmatter said:

I think the repeated moral of the story is to buy a lottery ticket.  The $50-75 it would cost for a person to submit a coin for grading would be better spent on 50-75 lottery tickets giving the person 50-75 more chances to hit it big than they would on a "unicorn" coin (82d small date copper), (43 copper), etc. etc. etc. . .  I use this forum to verify things I think I find in a coin.  Sometimes I am right and more times I am wrong.  I hope for the best and expect the worst, that way I don't find myself defending something that isn't there.  This forum is to guide less experienced collectors in the right direction.  Unfortunately, the internet click-bait sites are visited first and those less experienced tend to end up getting defensive and arguing about what they think they have.  I have read thousands of posts here and coincidence turns into patterns.  And yes, it does matter.  If you are here, you should take the time to learn one thing at least, otherwise, you should seek advice elsewhere.

Penny Hoarder, you specifically asked it if is a 82d small date, yes it is.  Typically, the next question would be . . "is it copper?".  You technically never asked that question, whether you intended to or not.  Now that you have an example of a small date, keep it handy for referential purposes.  The next step is to obtain a scale to 0.05 accuracy.  Any future 82d small dates you get, weigh them, if they are 3.00+grams, please post cropped pics of the coin along with a pic of the scale registering the weight.

And yes, I bought lottery tickets today. 

On 3/5/2024 at 3:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

Small date zinc, very common coin just a spender.

You can look till the day they put you in a box you still will not find one.   Your time would be better spent and more lucrative if instead of spending that time searching for a 82-D sm date copper you got a job at the local circle K.

Welp at least one got found and nobody knows exactly how many are out there and like I said, you sure won't  find it or anything else if you don't look

On 3/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, Duzzitmatter said:

Welp at least one got found and nobody knows exactly how many are out there and like I said, you sure won't  find it or anything else if you don't look

False hope is just that false.   I prefer to spend my time in a way that has a chance of yielding some measure of success.   If you prefer to waste your life looking for something that will not be found that is of course your choice.

On 3/5/2024 at 3:42 PM, cobymordet said:

I think the repeated moral of the story is to buy a lottery ticket.  The $50-75 it would cost for a person to submit a coin for grading would be better spent on 50-75 lottery tickets giving the person 50-75 more chances to hit it big than they would on a "unicorn" coin (82d small date copper), (43 copper), etc. etc. etc. . .  I use this forum to verify things I think I find in a coin.  Sometimes I am right and more times I am wrong.  I hope for the best and expect the worst, that way I don't find myself defending something that isn't there.  This forum is to guide less experienced collectors in the right direction.  Unfortunately, the internet click-bait sites are visited first and those less experienced tend to end up getting defensive and arguing about what they think they have.  I have read thousands of posts here and coincidence turns into patterns.  And yes, it does matter.  If you are here, you should take the time to learn one thing at least, otherwise, you should seek advice elsewhere.

Penny Hoarder, you specifically asked it if is a 82d small date, yes it is.  Typically, the next question would be . . "is it copper?".  You technically never asked that question, whether you intended to or not.  Now that you have an example of a small date, keep it handy for referential purposes.  The next step is to obtain a scale to 0.05 accuracy.  Any future 82d small dates you get, weigh them, if they are 3.00+grams, please post cropped pics of the coin along with a pic of the scale registering the weight.

And yes, I bought lottery tickets today. 

Well why do you think I'm here @cobymordet? To learn at least try to. How come it seems like NOBODY in any site or forum can't take a joke, are always pushy, arrogant and rude. I know what this place is for and again it's why i am here.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:23 AM, Coinbuf said:

False hope is just that false.   I prefer to spend my time in a way that has a chance of yielding some measure of success.   If you prefer to waste your life looking for something that will not be found that is of course your choice.

Wow lmao seems everyone here is like that mean teacher we had in school. I mean ALL I said was "if you don't look, you won't find" and that is a FACT. And exactly what authority or knowledge do you have praytell that there's only the 1 found? Enlighten me please.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:49 AM, Duzzitmatter said:

Wow lmao seems everyone here is like that mean teacher we had in school. I mean ALL I said was "if you don't look, you won't find" and that is a FACT.

And all I said is that looking is a waste of time which is a fact.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:49 AM, Duzzitmatter said:

And exactly what authority or knowledge do you have praytell that there's only the 1 found? Enlighten me please.

I never said anywhere that only one has been found, stop with the childlike emotional reactions and actually read my reply, maybe you'll be less confused.   It's your life you can do as you please doesn't mean squat to me, I'll just continue to use my time to make money and get chuckles watching all you dreamers work your way to the poor house weighing cents all day. 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:43 AM, Duzzitmatter said:

Well why do you think I'm here @cobymordet? To learn at least try to. How come it seems like NOBODY in any site or forum can't take a joke, are always pushy, arrogant and rude. I know what this place is for and again it's why i am here.

Duzz, we all can take a joke and we all make jokes. The jokes die out when a less experienced member chooses to disregard the information and advice provided by a multitude of more experienced members.  Read through 5-7 pages of topics in the Newbie forum.  Lately, as you will understand after reading topics for the past few weeks.  Less experienced members will scoff at the opinions/information provided and choose to claim that nobody on this site knows what they are talking about.  The audacity of some people is absurd.  The more often these individuals appear and inundate this site with ignorance and irritation, the more likely patience will be lost and jokes will be a bit less humorous and a bit more biting.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

.... You can look till the day they put you in a box you still will not find one....

How 'bout a little Rodney Dangerfield-like humor...

I can't get no respect at all. Why, with my luck, I'd wake up dead, and find that '82-D in the box with me.  If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.  🤣  

Thanks Moderation. A little levity now and then never hurt anybody.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:13 PM, Duzzitmatter said:

Not true. You win by not buying the lottery ticket in the first place. Depending on the ticket, it’s $1 or $2. 

On 3/6/2024 at 10:49 AM, Duzzitmatter said:

Wow lmao seems everyone here is like that mean teacher we had in school. I mean ALL I said was "if you don't look, you won't find" and that is a FACT. And exactly what authority or knowledge do you have praytell that there's only the 1 found? Enlighten me please.

https://www.numismaticnews.net/world-coins/rare-1982-d-small-date-copper-found

Consider yourself enlightened. I believe a second one was found since 2016. 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:38 AM, Coinbuf said:

And all I said is that looking is a waste of time which is a fact.

I never said anywhere that only one has been found, stop with the childlike emotional reactions and actually read my reply, maybe you'll be less confused.   It's your life you can do as you please doesn't mean squat to me, I'll just continue to use my time to make money and get chuckles watching all you dreamers work your way to the poor house weighing cents all day. 

2, not 1. But that’s it. 

Lottery tickets are illegal in my state, but the legislature is considering it. 

On 3/5/2024 at 5:42 PM, cobymordet said:

The next step is to obtain a scale to 0.05 accuracy.

Negative. When weighing coins you need a scale accurate to 0.01g.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:57 AM, Duzzitmatter said:

Welp at least one got found and nobody knows exactly how many are out there

Two have been found. No more than that. There is a thought entertained that there are more, but that is exactly what it is, entertainment. Since the Discovery Coin, half the population of this country is looking for a third, and years later still hasn't been found. I don't think any more will be found seeing the "manhunt" has not turned up a third.

On 3/6/2024 at 8:34 PM, Henri Charriere said:

A little levity now and then never hurt anybody.

No, it hasn't. But what I think may be hurting some of the people posting their 82 cents on here would also go along with your suggestion of pinning a "Your coin is NOT an error" to the beginning of the menu here, along with this topic here, "Your 1982 D cent - Large date, Small date, and why your cent is NOT a Bronze Transitional error".

I also don't know who resurrected this thread or why. I didn't want to respond or help keep it going, but I could not let these things I commented on here come to pass.

Yes, @EagleRJO, I did look at the date this time and I am fully aware this is an old thread.

Re:  Old Thread...

Six (6) months is not old; a year or two might be.  The last time I was caught exploring long dormant old threads and revealing the latest results of my archaeological digs, Oldhoop came down with a flashlight and ordered me out.  It effectively takes years to master the Forum. And that is why 99.44% of time it is, as here, a newbie who resurrects it without  malice forethought.  A lot of really good material posted at the outset; a refresher course of sorts. [And a socially-acceptable opportunity to bum-rush the newer folks.  🤣 ]

Edited by Henri Charriere
Continue my train of thought.

On 3/7/2024 at 11:43 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Re:  Old Thread...

Six (6) months is not old; a year or two might be.  The last time I was caught exploring long dormant old threads and revealing the latest results of my archaeological digs, Oldhoop came down with a flashlight and ordered me out.  It effectively takes years to master the Forum. And that is why 99.44% of time it is, as here, a newbie who resurrects it without  malice forethought.  A lot of really good material posted at the outset; a refresher course of sorts. [And a socially-acceptable opportunity to bum-rush the newer folks.  🤣 ]

Here’s my standard: if it ain’t on the first page, DO NOT RESURRECT THE THREAD. LET IT ROT. 

While I understand how you feel, what you propose is a practical impossibility.

Setting aside for a moment the three longest-running threads on the U.S. World & Ancients forum, all of which were begun in 2006, and are miles long with posts made daily, there is a muddy morass of threads which lumber along like the one initiated by one member dissecting RWB's Double Eagle book as well as the "Official St-Gaudens Gold Coin Price Thread," started in 2021, which has amassed 441 [cell] posts of intermittent comments spread over 15 pages.

One of the more successful lightning strikes, concerning the "cuirassed" coin which evolved rapidly, was wildly successful, and the matter of provenance resolved inside of a week. Surely you must have it in your heart to forgive the occasional faux pas of a new member who has not had the experience to learn the ropes just yet.  I regarded the matter of the S.S. Central America as closed but was pleasantly surprised when one member reactivated it -- and felt honored when another weighed in with yet another shipwreck.

I no longer retread old threads but when I do, it's for cause, otherwise our hosts will exile me to Siberia and I will go the way of that lawyer, Alexei Navalny.  Is there a fate worse than having to explain, "Vy u Ahm-re-kin here? Vhat u do?" to a heavily-tattoed Russkie Bratva in the Gulag? Take it easy, Kurt. It's only a chat board.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Word substitution