• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 D Jefferson Nickel. DDR and RPM?
2 2

9 posts in this topic

This 1964-D nickel appears to have shelf-like strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling on both the reverse lettering and the mint mark. A mint marked doubled die from before 1992 wouldn't show die doubling on the mint mark, as mint marks were not in the hub but were punched in separately.  It is possible that a coin could have both a doubled die and a repunched mint mark, but the secondary image from either cause would be crisper and more rounded than that shown here.

On 8/12/2023 at 6:32 PM, Sandon said:

This 1964-D nickel appears to have shelf-like strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling on both the reverse lettering and the mint mark. A mint marked doubled die from before 1992 wouldn't show die doubling on the mint mark, as mint marks were not in the hub but were punched in separately.  It is possible that a coin could have both a doubled die and a repunched mint mark, but the secondary image from either cause would be crisper and more rounded than that shown here.

I have one as well. The shelving is on the right side and the Rpm shows on bottom of D.  Everything is opposite of your nickel

Josh - Here are two of your photos. It is obvious they are not identical and thus not from the same die. The only thing visible is common mechanical doubling, of which there are likely millions for just this one date/mint nickel.

Member Sandon reviewed this and provided an accurate explanation. Please stop watching the false coin videos on U-Tube etc. You are simply being lied to by them.

Nickelcomp.thumb.jpg.16f7bdb47eb74e879a31b4c1e1d4c3bb.jpg

On 3/19/2024 at 2:12 AM, Josh Big Red 1 said:

The shelving is on the right side and the Rpm shows on bottom of D.

Being the mintmark is part of the master die your nickel cannot have an RPM. Mintmarks are no longer added to the dies by hand. Also, I see a step like "doubling" in your photos with no split serifs, nor complete secondary images. Therefore, it is merely strike doubling.

🐓:  I fail to see how all this talk about Revolutions Per Minute (RPM) are germane to the conversation.

Q.A.:  Beats me.  It's all Greek to me... very exotic dialect.

Hello Josh, I agree with the others it is not a DD and although repunched mint marks are recorded up to 1989 your coin is not on the list and looks like MD to me.