• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial Quarters
1 1

7 posts in this topic

My first time ever sending coins in..

would you send these in if you were me? How do I send them in I read everything you got. The are from heritage mint and I took them out because don’t trust w that quarters would be ok over time..

3A032886-E85A-4F68-B75A-788E518763B0.jpeg

368522BE-B792-4592-9D75-DFE4B5EABF76.jpeg

CF21AFA3-8E40-47E2-A1BD-BE96530ED7AD.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, I am not following your post, why do you think these coins are not from the US mint?    As to your question, no I would not spend the money to send those bicentennial quarters in to NGC for grading.    These are proof coins not coins from circulation, I cannot tell from your photos if these are the clad or silver coins, but in either case these would need to grade PF70UCAM to cover the costs of submitting them.   Proof coins are very difficult to grade from photos but I think the chances that these would grade high enough is slim.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

If you are a newer collector, the last thing you should be thinking about is sending coins to grading services.  You need to develop grading and other skills relating to the evaluation of coins yourself, a process which will take some time and involve reading, the examination of a number of coins, and conversations with experienced dealers and collectors at such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings. Even those who are experienced can have unpleasant surprises when submitting coins to grading services. See Jeff Garrett: The Art of Rare Coin Submissions | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you are just looking for better holders for your coins than stapled, cardboard "2 by 2s", there are far cheaper alternatives than sending these low value coins to a grading service.

Do you own such basic resources as a recent edition of the "Redbook", a grading guide, and access to current printed or online price guides?

Hello and welcome!

I agree with @Coinbuf. These proof coins would need to achieve the maximum grade to be worth submitting. Also, the fact that you mentioned "taking them out" says to me that they have been removed from one type of holder and placed into a stapled cardboard flip which could easily lead to the coin's contamination and/or small scratches that would preclude the coin achieving a maximum PF 70 grade. As well, it would have to get the UC designation (Ultra Cameo) and while the coin does seem to have a good level of contrast, NGC is typically stingy when handing out that designation. I would put these coins into a proper hard type clamshell holder and retain them for your collection.