• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 UNITED STATES LETTER THOMAS J. URAM SIGNED LETTER
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Good morning.  New to the forum.  I have a question.  I ordered several 2023 Peace Morgan NGC MS70 sets (Thomas J Uram signature) from a vendor.  In the shipment, I received  a NGC Certified Letter from the desk of Thomas J Uram (see attached).  Has anyone seen one of these?  I have added it to my registry by inputting the cert # and it identifies it as:

2022 UNITED STATES LETTER THOMAS J. URAM SIGNED LETTER

NGC PR 1

Is this a common item?  Does it have any value?

Letter Front.jpg

Letter Back.jpg

CoinsLetter.jpg.2a508a38e93c3714216e593ffa297b90.jpg

Edited by Invest4Me

It looks like a mass produced/copied generic letter from a CCAC advisory board member, and the one you have is No. 95 (xxx-095) on that NGC submittal.  But it's still interesting that NGC would certify that.

For a coin collector like myself (which includes collecting Morgans), I don't think there is really any value as a stand-alone item, but may be something interesting to include with a set of coins like your purchase.

@RWB may have some more insight as an expert on Peace dollars.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, EagleRJO said:

It looks like a mass produced/copied generic letter from a CCAC advisory board member, and the one you have is No. 95 (xxx-095) on that NGC submittal.  But it's still interesting that NGC would certify that.

For a coin collector like myself (which includes collecting Morgans), I don't think there is really any value as a stand-alone item, but may be something interesting to include with a set of coins like your purchase.

@RWB may have some more insight as an expert on Peace dollars.

Thank you for your feedback.  I have no intention of offering it but was curious as to how many may be out there and certified.  I believe that NGC certified it to authenticate a hand signature by Thomas J Uram.

Edited by Invest4Me

Just curious ... did the coins you purchased have the NGC Thomas J. Uram signature label?  [Check that, I just noticed the coin labels in one of your pictures which has that]

I believe that NGC certified it to authenticate a hand signature by Thomas J Uram

If you look at the back side you will likely not see a hand signature impression.  Things like that are typically done with a signature stamp, or an electronic signature like on the slab labels. [Although I see it does say "Authentic Hand-Signed" so you may be right.]

Edited by EagleRJO

Here’s a thought. Go to the ANA show in Pittsburgh. Buy a banquet ticket. Tom Uram will sign any damned thing you put in front of him. Problem solved.

The item might be a printed sheet produced by NGC and individually signed by Mr. Uram. The signature on every item would be slightly different if individually signed, and I doubt NGC would misstate this. It's not clear to me how this might have any meaningful value, or how it could be displayed along with the (ugly) coins.

[EagleRJO - I was aware of attempts to have these imitation dollar coins made, but declined to support them without clear requirements to equal the 1921 Peace dollar design in all respects; I felt the 1921 Morgan dollar was, and remains, unimportant.]

Edited by RWB

On 8/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, RWB said:

The item might be a printed sheet produced by NGC and individually signed by Mr. Uram. The signature on every item would be slightly different if individually signed, and I doubt NGC would misstate this. It's not clear to me how this might have any meaningful value, or how it could be displayed along with the (ugly) coins.

[EagleRJO - I was aware of attempts to have these imitation dollar coins made, but declined to support them without clear requirements to equal the 1921 Peace dollar design in all respects; I felt the 1921 Morgan dollar was, and remains, unimportant.]

Tom Uram is a dear friend, and fellow Pennsylvanian, but Roger has the better of the truth on these beasts. They're REEEEEEEALY stretching hard to get to "meh" level. A VERY unimpressive effort by the Mint. And yes, the 1921 Morgan is an ugloid in general. In the 1990's, people were selling full rolls of Morgans with the promise, "no 1921's". It's the only way they could sell them.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:24 PM, RWB said:

I felt the 1921 Morgan dollar was, and remains, unimportant

I agree about the 1921 Morgans, as well as the 2021 Morgans.  However I did purchase them only because I have a complete circulation set of Morgans (less a few I am still shopping around for with that 105 coin set).

I actually think the 2021 Morgans look the worst with an almost "counterfeit looking" appearance, from the computer "enhanced" images, even though the mint has better machinery which you would expect would produce better coins.  I hope the mint stops producing them.

Abou the op's certified letter, to me it seems more of a mass produced novelty item to accompany a Morgan or Peace dollar sale, and the real value is in the NGC signed slab label for those coins.

Edited by EagleRJO

The mint has a tendency to take things to infinity and beyond. Kinda like ASE, third party labels. I was under the impression that the 2021 coins were going to be a once in a lifetime deal. ( Silly Me ) Here we are in 2023 and they are still being sold ? That is ok I guess because I did not jump on that band wagon in 2021 and every year they make these ( Tokens ) there is a better chance that I will be able to get the previse year coins cheaper than the hype made them.   

On 8/5/2023 at 3:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

the mint has better machinery which you would expect would produce better coins.

The US Mint is capable of making coins of equal and better quality than the "old timers" made a century or more ago. But --- it appears the only one who can make that happen is the director.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:28 AM, J P M said:

... I was under the impression that the 2021 coins were going to be a once in a lifetime deal. ( Silly Me ) Here we are in 2023 and they are still being sold ? ...

My understanding is that this was the original intent when Uram and others presented the idea to Congress, but there was so much competition in the commemorative coin arena that the measure did not pass. So, they tried a different angle: a yearly issue, like the silver and gold eagles.

Interesting letter, and I would save it if I had it... But I would not buy it.  

In all fairness, I am not a fan of the series... so maybe my opinion is jaded.  I am sure there is someone out there who is after everything that this bullion series entails - find that guy and you are in the money.

Good luck!

On 8/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I am sure there is someone out there who is after everything that this bullion series entails

What bullion series?