• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading common pocket change
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone on here besides me ever wonder how much common pocket change gets sent to NGC for grading? New collectors are on here every day asking if they should get coins worth face value and damaged coins graded. I know theres no way of knowing but I ofter wonder how many sends them in aginst the experts better advice not to. Or how many who send them in without even asking about what they have first. I bet its unreal how much junk change is surround by expensive plastic. 

Does NGC ever try to reach out to the submitter and tell them their coins are just plain old spender change of no value? Or do they go ahead and take their money and slab them? Cant really blame them if they do. You would think it would be the responsibility of the submitter to do a little research on what they are sending in. I know Ive seen several coins on ebay in slabs that I would have never dreamed of sending in if they were mine. 

It happens all the time Hog, sometimes due to lack of knowledge or newbie exuberance, registry reasons, and even just a personal desire to slab a keepsake.   As you said it's impossible to know just how often, but it is not the job of the TPG to question the submitter's reasoning.   They do the job the submitter asked them to do.

Take a look at this census page for Lincoln Memorial cents. Notice how many are graded below MS60. My guess is that many of these, and a lot of the mint state examples, were sent in by people who were sure that they had a doubled die or some other variety.

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/cents/100/

Edited by Just Bob

On 8/4/2023 at 5:09 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Im not talking about people who cherry pick top pops. Im talking about people slabbing pure junk spenders. Coins only worth face value. And some of the damaged common pocket change people think is errors. 

But there isn't any substantive difference with thousands of coins already in the population data at both services valued near or below the cost of grading.

This includes more than just coins currently available in circulation.

There isn't much graded fitting your description.  There is a lot of it fitting mine.

Same question could be asked.

Reminds me of South African collectors.  Look at the NGC Census "Details" data.  It's the result of their TPG induced coin mania, similar to the US 1989 bubble.  173 1897 "details" shillings.  220 1892 "details" pennies.  Yes, most are AU or UNC, but even at the price peak, probably not worth (much) more than the grading fee.  Shipping back to SA isn't cheap. 

Here is a bulk lot sold by Heritage, this one in NCS holders not even included in the NGC Census.

South Africa: Republic 82-Piece Lot of Certified Shillings NGC, ... | Lot #34360 | Heritage Auctions

On 8/4/2023 at 3:10 AM, Teddy R said:

I've been doing some research on moderns and have come across a few eye openers in the census.

I guess there is a thing called lowball sets for whatever reason???

Yes, my explanation for it at least initially was amusement or to alleviate boredom. 

With the internet, most series are so easy or so much easier to complete.  It was done to create a challenge.  Now, these coins are worth more or proportionately noticeably more than "high" quality in some instances.  Definitely than slightly higher quality.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:10 AM, Teddy R said:

I've been doing some research on moderns and have come across a few eye openers in the census.

I guess there is a thing called lowball sets for whatever reason???

This is a good point, and you are correct there is a smallish thin market for the lowball coin, especially the coveted PO01 grade.   Like you this collecting desire escapes me, I see no reason to collect what I consider worthless slicks, practically electrical box punchouts.   I also see this market as a mostly one-way market with dealers happy to sell one but likely reluctant to buy anywhere near market prices.   And most of the collectors in this area that I have read or conversed with are more likely to try and "make" a lowball vs buy them.

As WC wrote above this niche seems to have come from collectors that wanted a cheap challenge (at least initially cheap) and who may also have been feeling priced out of the higher quality and expensive registry coins.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:51 AM, World Colonial said:

Yes, my explanation for it at least initially was amusement or to alleviate boredom. 

With the internet, most series are so easy or so much easier to complete.  It was done to create a challenge.  Now, these coins are worth more or proportionately noticeably more than "high" quality in some instances.  Definitely than slightly higher quality.

...correct in all respects...guilty as charged...the only real aberration is that the Po-01 n Fr-02 coins out pricing say G4,VG10, F12 coins, bit strange but have done so to complete a series or grouping....