• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these 1981 proofs Type 1?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

You 1981 SBA is a type T2 clear "S"  variety  The type "1" or sometimes called a filled "S" or Blob "S"  basically if you can see the clear distinct sides of the S when you look at it it is a Type 2

I believe JT2 is wrong about this. If it were a 1979, this S would indeed be a Type 2. As it is a 1981, it is not a Type 2. It is a Type 1. In 1981, a "planed flat" top surface of the S is required. Not the top of the S as in toward the head of the coin, top as in the surface aimed at your EYE. Send it in. I GUARANTEE it comes back as a Type 1.

Edited by VKurtB

I thought on both the 1979 S SBA Proof and also the 1981 S SBA Proof that for both dates the "Filled" S or "Blob" S is are the Type 1 and the "Clear" S are the Type 2. No?

@VKurtBare you referring to the 1981 S SBA Type 1 Proof having used the 1979 S Type 2 mintmark but after degradation when it became "filled" it was classed as the 1981 S Type 1?

On 7/31/2023 at 9:59 PM, powermad5000 said:

I thought on both the 1979 S SBA Proof and also the 1981 S SBA Proof that for both dates the "Filled" S or "Blob" S is are the Type 1 and the "Clear" S are the Type 2. No?

@VKurtBare you referring to the 1981 S SBA Type 1 Proof having used the 1979 S Type 2 mintmark but after degradation when it became "filled" it was classed as the 1981 S Type 1?

The S on the 1979-S Type 2 is IDENTICAL to the 1981-S Type 1. There are no blob S in 1981, only in 1979. The surface of the S is the key in 1981. It must be a flat mesa, not rounded top like a hill, in order to be a Type 2. 

Edit: Thanks for the "like", Larry.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/1/2023 at 2:19 PM, VKurtB said:

The surface of the S is the key in 1981. It must be a flat mesa, not rounded top like a hill, in order to be a Type 2.

Thank you very much for the clarification. Makes sense now as I have both Types for both years and see what you mean.

Picture clarification, courtesy of Variety Vista and Variety Plus. The first two pics are of the '79 Type1, then the next two are the '79 Type2, which is the same punch that was used in 1980, and is also the 1981 Type1. The last two pics are the '81 Type2. The difference between the '81 types one and two are difficult to see in these pictures, especially the flat surface of the type2. The difference in the shape of the lower "tail" is noticeable, though.

1979SMMS001 proof type 1.jpg

67609-1-1532620117-thumb.jpg

1979SMMS002 proof type 2.jpg

67612-1-thumb.jpg

1981SMMS003  proof type two.jpg

67613-1-thumb.jpg

Thank you to all that responded. I was reasonably sure that they were all type. 1 variety but as everyone can see, it was not easy to discern. Thanks to the explanation and examples provided I now know.

thanks to the great collectors opinions!