• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very skeptical about Sending My coins to NGC.
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Well I have an 1835 bust half dollar, it's in MS Condition, it's a beautiful coin.. but I have become very skeptical about sending my coins in for grading to NGC... and here is an example why.. and the problem I have.. is this Coin right here... from the heartland collection, it's an 1835 bust half dollar.. November 30, 2004, Lot 1398. 'Lilac and gold toning  this Coin was graded a MS 66....  Now here is my coin... My Coin is in way better MS Condition.. this Coin is a MS 66... so this is the problem I have right now.. so if I send this in.. and they grade my Coin lower than this Coin... you see the problem I'm having my friends. Screenshot_20230731_034445_Chrome.thumb.jpg.07263ff1fbfb6ea13b7f41f9eaf87d73.jpgScreenshot_20230731_034449_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a35d59388710be17cb88981b706f9198.jpg20230721_060728.thumb.jpg.e42bdbc2031948c15cdedec024a22f56.jpg

What you are experiencing is commonly called a visceral "what if" anticipatory retaliatory act.  You have nothing to fear, but fear ltself. I would submit the coin and allow it to stand alone on its own merits. (Incidentally, the lilac and gold toning, per se, are not grading considerations.) While difficult to tell, I see stronger attributes in your coin (strike, preservation) and eye appeal. Also, in the future, it's best when eliciting feedback to produce a photo depicting both sides, at a minimum.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add closed parenthesis.

On 7/31/2023 at 5:35 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Your coin is not on par with the other, it's missing a lot of the detail in the cap, hair, and most of the stars. It also has a weird look to it, may be it's the photo, maybe cleaned, maybe fake, possibly both. I would be skeptical as well. Of the coin.

Lol.. the coin in the heartland collection is missing way more detail in the coin, The Eagles feathers are not detailed and crisp.. missing letters in pluribus Unum, My coin has all detail.. the Stars, and cap are fully detailed... it's the way I was holding the coin. Not cleaned... I purchased this Coin from a trusted collector with thousands of trusted buyers. 

On 7/31/2023 at 5:35 AM, Henri Charriere said:

What you are experiencing is commonly called a visceral "what if" anticipatory retaliatory act.  You have nothing to fear, but fear ltself. I would submit the coin and allow it to stand alone on its own merits. (Incidentally, the lilac and gold toning, per se, are not grading considerations.) While difficult to tell, I see stronger attributes in your coin (strike, preservation) and eye appeal. Also, in the future, it's best when eliciting feedback to produce a photo depicting both sides, at a minimum.

Yes.. you have a strong point, I may be over thinking and analyzing a bit. Maybe I should just send them in.. and see the outcome, I felt this was necessary, in order to prove my point,  because this has also happened to a friend of mine, and I feel the grading can be one sided and most have their own opinions on Coin grading. 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:21 AM, CoinMarshall said:

Yes.. you have a strong point, I may be over thinking and analyzing a bit. Maybe I should just send them in.. and see the outcome, I felt this was necessary, in order to prove my point,  because this has also happened to a friend of mine, and I feel the grading can be one sided and most have their own opinions on Coin grading. 

That is all that coin grading is,........a opinion... When you send a coin in it is looked at buy more than one grader. But posting here first helps you get a better idea from collectors of you coins worth . 

On 7/31/2023 at 7:46 AM, CoinMarshall said:

Good idea... here it is...

20230731_064037.jpg

20230731_064244.jpg

...not a mint state coin n most likely altered surfaces....

I am very sorry to tell you but that coin has been cleaned. The surface characteristics are indicative of a an over dipped coin (small cleaned pitting holes). It also has cleaning marks near all the stains. It's a nice details coin but it has been improperly cleaned. Sorry 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 7/31/2023 at 7:13 AM, CoinMarshall said:

Not cleaned... I purchased this Coin from a trusted collector with thousands of trusted buyers. 

Let the seller tell you or better yet GET IT IN WRITING that the coin was not cleaned and he will reimburse you if a TPG says it was in fact cleaned.

Lots of "trusted collectors" either don't know (and get it wrong) or do know AND LIE about a coin's condition.  Sometimes they just get it wrong because they are fooled.

But if you paid a nice premium for this coin and was told it wasn't cleaned and was AU or MS, you should have recourse to get your money back IMO if the guy is as "trusted" and legit as you say he is.

Good Luck ! (thumbsu

The stars on your piece are inferior. The hair detail is inferior. The cap is inferior. Yes, the reverse on yours is better.

Submit it and post the results.  All else is conjecture.  [Never in my entire life have I seen a cerified coin, whose lettering reads E PLU--BUS UNUM -- the R and I completely oblierated, bestowed with the lofty, Mint State-66 grade. You live, you learn.]

Something just does not look right about that coin. For one, the nose does not have the right proportions to me.  Maybe it is just the photo.

And like others have said, it has been cleaned, and the surface of the obverse is nowhere near MS quality.

ETA: Actually, the whole face looks wrong. But maybe they used several different dies that year. (shrug)

Edited by MorganMan

To the OP:  In your Topic heading, you make reference to coins, plural.  What other coins do you have that you may have questions about that you wouldn't mind sharing?  You might not get the answers you were hoping for, but the information elicited may be of invaluable assistance to others.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:51 AM, Henri Charriere said:

To the OP:  In your Topic heading, you make reference to coins, plural.  What other coins do you have that you may have questions about that you wouldn't mind sharing?  You might not get the answers you were hoping for, but the information elicited may be of invaluable assistance to others.

Its not a problem.... if most collectors are say AU.... also Cleaned, then most likely it was.. I also recently.. acquired an 1885 cc Morgan Silver dollar, another 1878 s Morgan, 1942 Walking liberty.. but thankfully the other three were not from the same Seller.

Even less than stellar sellers have not MADE the coins they sell, in most cases. Some merely don't have the detailed KNOWLEDGE that a serious experienced collector does. I'd put my knowledge up against the MAJORITY of coin dealers. Also my sick a-$-$ sense of humor. This hobby is supposed to be fun. But it's hard to keep it fun when so many charlatans haunt this hobby.

Edited by VKurtB

Not cleaned... I purchased this Coin from a trusted collector with thousands of trusted buyers. 

Take the coin back to your seller and mention our problems with the coin.  See what he says. (thumbsu

I'd be curious if he would give you your money back or buy it back. :o

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/1/2023 at 3:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Even less than stellar sellers have not MADE the coins they sell, in most cases. Some merely don't have the detailed KNOWLEDGE that a serious experienced collector does. I'd put my knowledge up against the MAJORITY of coin dealers. Also my sick a-$-$ sense of humor. This hobby is supposed to be fun. But it's hard to keep it fun when so many charlatans haunt this hobby.

What do you think about this Coin VKurtB.... what grade you think it is.. 

Screenshot_20230802_034758_eBay.jpg

On 8/2/2023 at 4:52 AM, CoinMarshall said:

I don't think this is real, Fake? Where did you get this? Just doesn't look right. Reverse mint mark and front do not match like coins on coinfacts.

.... Not cleaned... I purchased this Coin from a trusted collector with thousands of trusted buyers. 

As most members know, I do not relish the thought of passing judgment on other collectors' coins. There is one aspect of this hobby that isn't generally acknowledged and that is while to you and me this is a hobby, there are those whose approach is all business. It is what their chosen livelihoods depends on and if a misjugment was made, the only viable option is passing along a problem coin to others. Some may regard this as despicable. I choose to look at it as an unethical "necessity."

The problem as I see it, is the age and the otherwise admirable condition of a coin neatly 200 years old. You confidently state the coin was not cleaned.  If it were, it would make a difference to me as to when the cleaning was undertaken.  Certainly, no one is pointing a finger to the seller of the coin who sold it to you. Can any collector honestly say the seller committed the desecration, or was simply passing it along? Formal authentication and certification is needed to establish as close as one can come to the truth otherwise you will be preoccupied with things which may or may not be true.  If you feel strongly about the matter, I would approach the seller and review with him the comments made in this column. You've got nothing to lose, and everything to gain. My limited experience suggests a reputable dealer with positive feedback would, at the very least, hear you out.

On 8/2/2023 at 4:52 AM, CoinMarshall said:

Counterfeit.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:52 AM, CoinMarshall said:

A) I don’t grade AU-MS coins by photos, as it is always a fool’s errand.

B) I agree that this coin shouldn’t be graded, because it’s authentication is sketchy.