• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968D large penny
1 1

15 posts in this topic

1968D large pennyI have seen these 1968 large day D pennies going for astronomical prices being I am new to New To collecting any info would be greatly appreciated? Are these coins worth sending our way? Any information would truly help me greatly and I very much appreciate it 

5D08ACE1-0955-4F53-9EA9-B48799D2AA06.jpeg

B29E01F5-B1DE-48E6-AFC7-DE8217121AA8.jpeg

On 7/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, $ton3R said:

1968 large day D pennies going for astronomical prices

No such critter. It must be "space aliens" paying astronomical prices for pocket change (if they have pockets).

Please - stop watching the stupid U-Tube videos. They are out for your money and will claim anything to swindle you.

In my 52 years as a coin collector, I have never heard of a "large day D". Presumably, you mean either a "large date" or a "large D"; however, 1968-D cents are only known to exist with one date size and one style of mint mark. (At that time, mint marks were still punched into each die by hand, so they may vary in location, angle or be heavily or lightly punched.)  Based on your photos, both of your 1968-D Lincoln cents are normal circulated examples and have no collector value.  

There are many ignorant and fraudulent sellers on the internet peddling non-existent 'varieties" like this and minor anomalies or damaged coins as "mint errors", as well as the usual plethora of counterfeit, altered, impaired, and overgraded coins. As a new collector, you need to educate yourself to avoid being taken advantage of by them.  Please refer to the following forum topics for legitimate print and online resources worthy of your study:

The most widely collected die varieties are listed in the "Red Book" and in price guides referred to in these topics. Additional ones are listed and depicted in NGC VarietyPlus, which includes all of the varieties that NGC will attribute. Countries | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). More obscure but legitimate ones are included on the Variety Vista site, Variety Vista Home, and on doubleddie.com. View any purported variety that doesn't appear on these sites as highly suspect.

Perhaps you can provide some proof of these coins "going for astronomical prices", making statements like this without providing any proof of your statement is meaningless, I've collected Lincoln cents for decades and am not aware of any large volumes of common circulated coins like those in your op having any significant value.

I have checked NGC Variety Plus, and also Variety Vista and there are only a handful of varieties for this year and mintmark which involve either RPM or mintmark position. If I am not mistaken, the mintmarks were hand applied to dies in this year, but I do not believe that had anything to do with the size of the mintmark and the size was the same on all the cents produced for this year.

I think you might be a victim of the YouTube misinformation clickbait campaign.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, $ton3R said:

I have seen these 1968 large day D pennies going for astronomical prices

All I can say to this is there is a sucker born every minute. In addition, there are plenty of coins for sale on sites like eBay and Etsy describing "rare errors" or "Top Coin" or "Unique" that are listed for extremely inflated prices that have no error nor are unique, but it is unknown if anybody is actually paying that much for those or if those sellers just leave it up until the one sucker comes along to buy it and then the seller disappears. This phenomenon you speak of is a problem in this hobby.

Edited by powermad5000

1968D large pennyI have seen these 1968 large day D pennies going for astronomical prices being I am new to New To collecting any info would be greatly appreciated? Are these coins worth sending our way? Any information would truly help me greatly and I very much appreciate it 

5D08ACE1-0955-4F53-9EA9-B48799D2AA06.jpeg

B29E01F5-B1DE-48E6-AFC7-DE8217121AA8.jpeg

Ok then I am filling out the paperwork..LoL.. I don't think it will get very far. I found all of these in one of the many coin rolls I get from my bank. They are real nice so I saved them. Maybe someday  I may get one graded .......Na 

68 Ds.jpg

68Ds Reverse.jpg

68 D.jpg

68 D Reverse.jpg

Here is what IS true, that the con men use to confuse people.

The devices on the 1968 cents are far bigger than the 1969 cents. This is normal.
In 1969 the cent was rehubbed with smaller devices and legends not “smooshed up” against the edges.

Big stinking deal. I have MANY BU rolls of 1968’s AND 1969’s. There is nothing significant about this change. 

Biggest poInt of all: the coin business is AWASH in some of the vilest con artists that exist in the world. And EVERY SINGLE ONE of the coin offers you see on TV is a ripoff. Every one. 

Edited by VKurtB

1968D large penny I have seen these 1968 large day D pennies going for astronomical prices

Perhaps you mean that normal circulated 1968-D Cents (normally larger features than 1969 cents) like the one you posted are being listed for astronomical prices with catchy made-up names (like 1968-D "Large Penny") by scam artists on sites like eBay and Etsy.

I see it all the time, like a normal 2010 Lincoln Presential dollar (worth $1) or pennies with common machine doubling (worth 1C) listed for thousands.  Stick with sold listings like on eBay and Great Collections, keeping in mind there can be individual anomalies so also get a rough idea on value from coin price guides published by NGC and PCG$.

There are at least three accounts on eBay selling ordinary 1968 cents and asking over $2,000. They are scam artists and crooks.