• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error coins
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2023 at 4:46 AM, SilverGary said:

I have a few error coins,  are they worth getting graded?

20230729_033508.jpg

20230729_033533.jpg

This is just a very circulated 1958 D Lincoln wheat cent not a DDO or any other mint error.

Please indicate what you see as an error, the 58 obverse looks normal and the reverse is a weak strike which is common on Lincoln cents. In the future, please show the complete coin, not just part of it. I don’t even know if that is the same coin or if it it two different cents.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:08 AM, SilverGary said:

"E PLURIBUS"  Is all messed up,  and fading one the "O"  in ONE CENT

Most likely problems would be grease on the die, a weak strike, worn out die and circulation of the coin being 65 years old.

Notwithstanding the disinformation you may have seen on the internet, these minor anomalies are regarded as the result of quality control issues, not as mint errors. They are very common and have no value to knowledgeable collectors. Grading services will not attribute them but would keep your attribution fee, as well as your grading and processing fees and shipping costs to certify a circulated 1958-D cent worth a few cents.     

To learn how to identify and understand legitimate mint errors, which are seldom found in circulation, see resources such as the following:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) and other topics that are shown when "mint errors" is entered in the search bar on the NGC home page.

For a comprehensive listing and description of mint errors, see error-ref.com.

This is not an error coin. Perhaps 95% or more of so-called error coins presented by people on this site are not errors at all.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/29/2023 at 10:03 AM, SilverGary said:

It's funny when you see people listing crazy prices for minor errors. I wonder if anyone actually pays that much.   Lol

It only takes one sucker to make someone's day.

One of the most well documented coins that describes what you are seeing on the reverse of your coin is the 1922 no D Lincoln Wheat Cent. When they are graded by TPG,s there are two types described : STRONG REVERSE and WEAK REVERSE.

Many of the years of these cents had reverses with weak strikes which caused portions of the lettering or design elements to be either weak or in some of the more severe cases lettering or design elements to be non-existent. They are not mint errors but are merely production process problems and these coins gain no premium in the marketplace. 

The following is a photo from NGC Coin Explorer of a 1922 no D Lincoln Wheat Cent Weak Reverse. Keep in mind, this is NOT a mint error. On it, as you can see many of the design elements and lettering are affected. While in the case of your coin I agree with @J P M your coin could have been produced by a spot of grease in the die during a normal strike, there are many of these cents produced with the same issues as your coin, and while I can not say for sure, but I doubt they were all produced by grease in the dies, as the larger number of them to be found would tell me there was more of a problem with regulating the pressure of the strike press at the time. If the pressure started to drop off or was being applied to the dies unevenly, then I could see how this problem could exist on such a large number of the cents produced.

5744333-002rr.jpg

On 7/29/2023 at 3:46 AM, SilverGary said:

I have a few error coins

This makes me wonder then if you have any error coins or just have been mislead into believing what is a mint error.

On 7/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, SilverGary said:

I wonder if anyone actually pays that much

It depends on the error, and how extreme the error is. Error collectors are the slim minority in the hobby but there are some dedicated to collecting only error coins. Depending on the severity of the error or the "uniqueness" of the error (all errors are considered unique so what I mean by this is if there is only one broadstruck full brockage, say, known for that coin amongst the many off center strikes and clipped planchets), those can be sold for very very high premiums and there are collectors that WILL pay for them.

It needs to be a recognized and typically TPG certified error coin to get that kind of premium though. I would not buy "coinguy 123456" 's alleged error coin in a cardboard flip with his writing all over it claiming the coin in the flip is 1 of 1 MS++++++ TOP DDO ERROR for $2000 from eBay.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:03 PM, SilverGary said:

It's funny when you see people listing crazy prices for minor errors. I wonder if anyone actually pays that much.   Lol

Yes, people do....but the problem is that wear-and-tear and minor imperfections are NOT Error Coins. :o

People think they have coins worth hundreds or thousands of dollars....and they're worth face value.  It's like digging in your backyard, finding a rock with some yellow in it, and thinking you found a 15-pound gold nugget worth $600,000. xD

On 7/29/2023 at 5:08 AM, SilverGary said:

"E PLURIBUS"  Is all messed up,  and fading one the "O"  in ONE CENT

This is common on the Lincoln cent series as there wasn't always enough metal flow for those elements to strike up fully.   See the overlay I have posted below (curtesy of Maddieclashes.com).   Notice how the shoulder of Lincoln's bust is opposite the O of one and close to the EPLU on the reverse, because the shoulder of the bust is a high point of the obverse it can rob the reverse of proper metal flow during striking.   This is a common and well-known effect and is not an error, time in circulation has exacerbated the look.

image.thumb.png.143b4651cc69ed8729bfded76a059cbc.png

On 7/29/2023 at 4:46 AM, SilverGary said:

I have a few error coins,  are they worth getting graded?

Why would you think this is an error coin and not just wear or damage (perhaps from a YT vid)?  I am genuinely curious as we get a lot of coins posted with just wear or damage that people think are errors.

And if you are unsure what actually is an "error" or variety see the post by Sandon and the following topic ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/