• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 D Mercury?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I've had this coin for several years.  Does anyone think this is a genuine 1916 D Mercury or is it just an anomaly in the metal.  The "mint mark" doesn't appear to be in the correct place but I just thought I'd put it out there for opinions.  Thanks for any input.

IMG_0027.jpg

On 7/28/2023 at 2:24 PM, Billv819 said:

I've had this coin for several years.  Does anyone think this is a genuine 1916 D Mercury or is it just an anomaly in the metal.  The "mint mark" doesn't appear to be in the correct place but I just thought I'd put it out there for opinions.  Thanks for any input.

IMG_0027.jpg

Not a D. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Sorry, but what you perceive as a "D" is the wrong shape, too weak given the strength of the other features of the coin, and probably too close to the olive branch as well. Compare it to photos of genuine 1916-D dime reverses such as this one from the NGC Coin Explorer:

5748684-004rr.jpg

Edited by Sandon

Well worn Mercury dimes with toning can have uneven toning spots like the one on your coin. It is actually more common than you may think that an uneven toning spot on one of these coins can appear like it is a mintmark, but there is no raised element to suggest the presence of a mintmark as well as the location of the spot on your coin being in coin terms very far from where it is supposed to be.

We can all dream though, right?