• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Came across books of silver dollars 1878-1921
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I came across some more coins. I would like your inputs on what to do with them. None are graded and I know it’s an expensive process, but the majority of these coins are in beautiful/really good condition. 

3 books of liberty head silver dollars 1878-1921 almost filled completely. 

1883 Hawaii half dollar

1799 liberty head

1904 s dollar

I will attempt to add photos below

543CF40B-7691-48D0-A30A-F14B849B00CF.thumb.jpeg.cc1d2773425a0f980202991e15813d8b.jpeg2BA7CE46-8054-40B3-A93A-013BFCDC26BC.thumb.jpeg.4f8ef399c293e0973fbbacb180e50e1a.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Unfortunately, you have posted this topic on the wrong forum.  The "Coin Marketplace" forum is restricted to topics offering to sell or purchase specific coins for stated prices and otherwise pursuant to the rules stated in the "Coin Marketplace Guidelines" topic pinned near the top of the first forum page.  Many of the chat board members who answer questions such as yours may not see it posted here. I will ask the moderators to move the topic to the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum", where it should receive more attention.  

Your question of "what to do with them" is too general to be answered. You need to decide whether you want to sell these coins or to become a collector yourself and hold on to them.  In either case, you need to get a good idea of what each coin is worth.  It wouldn't be feasible for forum members to attempt an appraisal of every one of these coins, some aspects of which would require in-hand examination in any case and clear, cropped photos of each side of each coin to give even a "ballpark" estimate". (From what little I can see from your photos, the Morgan silver dollars in the album pages may have retail (dealer sell) values ranging from $35 to several hundred dollars apiece, depending on the date, mint and condition.) We could either (1) try to identify well-established coin dealers in your general area who could advise you as to their value or make hopefully legitimate offers for your coins or (2) direct you to print and online resources from which you could learn enough about coin grading and valuation to form an opinion as to their value yourself.  It is not advisable for a person without substantial knowledge of coin grading to submit coins to grading services.

If you inherited these coins from a deceased relative and they were included in the probate of that person's estate, there should have been an appraisal at that time that would have to be updated but might still be useful.

You may also wish to review the following topic regarding the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum:

The 1892 has a note saying PROOF. I can't say if that is correct from the image but better images would help.

Some of the other coins have a nice value but the images don't tell us much. It's a nice collection. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, meaggiimoo said:

just wondering if any of these are worth getting graded 

Probably only if they are in Mint State condition for the most part.  I am not an expert on rarities in the Morgan series so there are others better qualified to talk.

But I will bet that most of the filled-in holes are commons in circulated grade, meaning they are worth at most their silver content.  But 1 or 2 or 3 of them could be worth triple-digits, so definitely go coin-by-coin (holding them properly and carefully).

Should be easy to determine the more scarce coins and then punch up a value for middle-of-the-pack circulated grades (EF-AU 55) and see if you have anything worth a huge premium to the underlying silver content.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

These are Morgan Silver Dollars in grades ranging from F to MS. ALL THE CARSON CITY COINS SHOULD BE GRADED NO MATTER WHAT. ANY COIN WITH A MINTAGE OF LESS THAN 2-3 M (1899 Morgan stands out @ 331k mintage) SHOULD BE GRADED NO MATTER WHAT> YOU HAVE A NICE SET THERE. TAKE IT TO A TRUSTED COIN SHOP FOR EVALUATION. THERE ARE NO BAD COINS THERE. THEY ALL LOOK ORIGINAL>GOODLUCK

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Based on prior experience, the coins resemble what could be found in circulation or by getting coins at a bank during the 1950s. All appear circulated to some extent and have not been cleaned or polished. As others suggested, there might be a few with sufficient value to justify "grading," so post good photos of both sides of the 1892 and other dates members request. They will help you with direct, honest information....Then you can decide what to do.

At present, most of the coins are worth silver value plus a little more ($25.16 x 0.77 = $19.37) for the better condition coins.

Edited by RWB

On 7/27/2023 at 8:59 AM, RWB said:

At present, most of the coins are worth silver value plus a little more ($25.16 x 0.77 = $19.37) for the better condition coins.

??? I like your math got any coins for sale using that math?

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Notice all the attention you're getting now that your topic has been moved to the correct forum.

If you're not a serious collector such as one who wants to build online "registry sets",, I don't know why you would want to have any of these coins third-party graded.  They're doing quite well in that nice old (Library of Coins?) album, in which I assume they have resided for decades. Just be careful that they are seated below the top plastic slide before you pull it out, so the coins don't get devaluing "slide marks". Hold them only by their edges. Even if you wanted to sell them, it would make more sense to let the dealer bear the expense and risk of submitting them to a grading service.  Even advanced collectors and dealers often get unpleasant surprises when coins are returned with lower grades than they expected or "details" grades. What is important is that you be able to determine their approximate values.

The dates that might be worth a substantial premium ($200 or more) are the 1878-CC, 1890-CC, 1892 (if a proof, which I doubt), 1892-CC, 1892-S, 1893-O, 1896-S, 1899 and 1901.  We can't even be sure that the coins in those album slots are from the indicated mints without seeing the reverses. If you take clear, cropped photos of each side (like of your1924 Huguenot half dollar but preferably cropped more), we should be able to estimate their grades and values. 

Hello and welcome!

You have a nice nearly 50% off center strike mint error cent with the date still readable which is important to error collectors.

The Morgan dollars in the book(s) all seem to be in "original" condition which makes them collectible, but in my humble opinion, it would not be possible to ascertain from the photos if any are worth the costs of submission. They would have to be gone over on an individual basis. We can see the obverses but not the reverses. There could be possible VAM designations and possible Top 100's or Hitlist or Hotlist VAM's that could be worth more, but we could not tell you if there are any from just the photos provided. We would need close, cropped photos of both sides of those to look for markers for any VAM designations, as well as to be able to better see the details of each coin in the albums.

It seems like a nice collection despite being incomplete and worth the consideration of having a trained set of eyes look at each coin and make grading determinations on a coin by coin basis.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:45 AM, meaggiimoo said:

Hi everyone, I came across some more coins. I would like your inputs on what to do with them. None are graded and I know it’s an expensive process, but the majority of these coins are in beautiful/really good condition. 

3 books of liberty head silver dollars 1878-1921 almost filled completely. 

1883 Hawaii half dollar

1799 liberty head

1904 s dollar

I will attempt to add photos below

543CF40B-7691-48D0-A30A-F14B849B00CF.thumb.jpeg.cc1d2773425a0f980202991e15813d8b.jpeg2BA7CE46-8054-40B3-A93A-013BFCDC26BC.thumb.jpeg.4f8ef399c293e0973fbbacb180e50e1a.jpeg

Why not take a break and delve into some thought-provoking reads on argumentative papers? CustomWriting offers a diverse range of resources and sample essays that could provide valuable insights and inspiration for your academic pursuits. Check out their collection at https://customwriting.com/argumentative-papers to explore topics ranging from history and economics to social issues and beyond. Whether you're a student seeking guidance or simply curious to expand your knowledge, CustomWriting has you covered. Happy reading, and may your coin collection continue to bring you joy and intrigue!

Since they're in beautiful or really good condition, they could hold significant value to collectors. For coins like Liberty Head silver dollars and the 1883 Hawaii half dollar, their condition can greatly impact their worth. Before making any decisions, I'd recommend researching each coin individually to get an idea of their potential value. You could also consider reaching out to local coin dealers or numismatic experts for professional evaluations. While grading can be expensive, it might be worth it for particularly valuable coins.

Edited by Linda_Latch