• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On the matter of MA-SHOPS
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Active members, regular guests and itinerant lurkers who may be painfully aware my Set Registry compilations were comprised of acquisitions obtained almost exclusively from vendors affiliated with MA-SHOPS may be puzzled by my conspicuous silence in the wake of a member's distress regarding a recent transaction which may or may not have been resolved one way of the other.

Unfortunately, ALL of my experiences with MA-SHOPS have gone swimmingly well and have exceeded my expectations. Accordingly, what, of substance, could I have contributed to the exchange?  For those asleep at the switch who are unaware of a former member's comment who recoiled in amazement when I conceded I had disabled notifications from them, it was akin to blocking notifications from dozens of top numismatic concerns in the U.S.

One example: I placed an order for a comparatively common "restrike" gold Rooster dated 1907, and received a 1911 instead -- the rarest by mintage of the "restrike" series. I immediately wrote them offering to make up the significant difference in price, the very least I could do, or at least alert them to a discrepancy in their inventory. They graciously declined despite the fact I had no objection as I happened to need the 1911. To no avail...

Another: Buyers of coins from overseas must wait an interval for PayPal to convert wired USD into euros. I realized I had jumped the gun when eBay, in its characteristic manner, stated, YOU WON! PAY UP!  The  payment of €20 euros would have cost me $50. just to wire them.  I placed €20 in an envelope instead, and mailed it to them. I was informed they disposed of the matter by declaring the balance due as a "global discount" and I prevailed on them to keep it "in the spirit of Christmas".

Yet another error occurred from yet a different vendor who sent me a duplicate coin.  No amount of insistence on my part could convince them otherwise.

Unfortunately, had I experienced great misfortune as the OP of that topic did, I would have no choice but to deal with all the parties involved and document everything.  One option you do not have is refuse to return the item.  Note:  When I stated some buyers required chaperones for negotiating the intricacies involved in buying on the internet, I was not alluding to children.

I’ve had no problems on MA-shop all my coins arrived as I expected them too I’ve bought a good 20-30 coins on MA-shop over last 4 years graded and Raw coins both not one single problem with any of sellers … also bought about 5 or 6 German numismatic books on MA-shops (which isn’t easy to find on US market) one book was tough to find however a German coin dealer went out his way and found me a copy of the book 2 week later emailed me he found one! sold it to me for a good price compared what everyone else was paying for the book in previous auctions 

MA-SHOPS is a fine platform for world coins. That does NOT apply to all their dealers. Crookery is outpacing trading platforms’ ability to keep up with the crookedness of dealers on their platforms. It’s just not possible any more. Even eBay is absolutely ROTTEN with crooks now, and eBay tries harder than many platforms to keep the crooks away. It is just not possible. 

On 7/30/2023 at 8:51 PM, VKurtB said:

MA-SHOPS is a fine platform for world coins. That does NOT apply to all their dealers. Crookery is outpacing trading platforms’ ability to keep up with the crookedness of dealers on their platforms. It’s just not possible any more. Even eBay is absolutely ROTTEN with crooks now, and eBay tries harder than many platforms to keep the crooks away. It is just not possible. 

Ain't that the truth. In fact this past Saturday I saw that a seller on Ebay with low 20's and sometimes lower feedback was trying to sell uncertified "Mint error" coins for a 1,000.00+ dollars . It's an outrage and most newbies to the hobby will fall victim. This could mean or explain the sudden surge of "Mint error" or "Variety " questions than we have been getting recently.

Edited by Tony Follis