• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This is too cool not to post: 5-piece 1901 proof set in NGC Gen1 black holders on Great Collections
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, RWB said:

Awfully sparse lot description. The current bid seems high - at least to me.

A four paragraph description from GC is practically unheard of. They usually let million dollar coins sell without a single word of description. 

On 7/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, zadok said:

...Bardot, Loren, Ekberg, Hepburn, Lollobrigida, Taylor were often sparsely described, sometimes with just one word...not sure if they were 69s or 70s?....

Sadly now details grades from extensive cabinet friction and environmental damage... not to mention all the whizzing and recoloring over the years in effort to keep their luster. 

...Bardot, Loren, Ekberg, Hepburn, Lollobrigida, Taylor were often sparsely described, sometimes with just one word...not sure if they were 69s or 70s?....

...but only after they were famous.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:18 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Sadly now details grades from extensive cabinet friction and environmental damage... not to mention all the whizzing and recoloring over the years in effort to keep their luster. 

...humph...i guess ngc, cac n current bidder disagrees....

On 7/21/2023 at 6:56 PM, ldhair said:

I'll wait till the auction is over to give my opinion. 

I cannot wait that long... Irrespective of one's views on "how things were done" back in the early years -- or choice of funereal color made, I strenuously object to the mis-holdering of the coins and therefore reject the lot, out of hand.  The obverse, the side with the date, should be installed top-side up, not upside down, and what exactly is the advantage of placing a label providing a date on a coin in a holder which must be turned over to view it? Would I buy the lot if the coins were repositioned to my liking? NO! Why? For the aforesaid reason: it's apparently not the way things were done back then. This is not an error like the Inverted Jenny; this is [barnyard epithet redacted]!  🤣

On 7/21/2023 at 11:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I cannot wait that long... Irrespective of one's views on "how things were done" back in the early years -- or choice of funereal color made, I strenuously object to the mis-holdering of the coins and therefore reject the lot, out of hand.  The obverse, the side with the date, should be installed top-side up, not upside down, and what exactly is the advantage of placing a label providing a date on a coin in a holder which must be turned over to view it? Would I buy the lot if the coins were repositioned to my liking? NO! Why? For the aforesaid reason: it's apparently not the way things were done back then. This is not an error like the Inverted Jenny; this is [barnyard epithet redacted]!  🤣

I guess NGC wanted you to see there label first then the coin. I wish there was a nice Cent in the batch.

Pretty neat to see a batch of them together something you don’t see everyday usually it’s one alone that goes up for sale from every once in a blue moon. I believe last I read only like 40ish estimated of black slab gen. 1.0 NGC holders were out there ….

Wonder if they would of sell better on heritage auction VS GC ? A lot more high rollers on Heritage auction would of probably drive prices up on them through the roof to the moon … 

On 7/22/2023 at 9:31 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Wonder if they would of sell better on heritage auction VS GC ? A lot more high rollers on Heritage auction would of probably drive prices up on them through the roof to the moon … 

It may still go a lot higher. I bid every Sunday and most of the time the last 1/2 hour is crazy bidding.

[The question has been raised [privately] why I would reject a [free] offer to re-holder the coins properly. For the simple reason that a purist with long institutional memory who would know, would reject them as not the "original," notwithstanding the consecutive submission numbers.  [Besides, they offend.my sense of propriety. Briefly, that means when you insert a key into a left-hand door, the key should turn counterclockwise; light switches should be turned on by flipping the switch up, not down; and sink faucets are turned on by turning the levers forward for delivery of water and backward to shut them off.  That's elementary and standard.]  Sadly, there is no doubt these coins will be de-encapsulated -- and graded, too. Is there merit to my argument?  No coin is encapsulated in such a careless manner today.

I'll comment now that the auction is over. The Nickel is the only coin I would care to own. The rest are just ugly in my opinion. I hope it's just the images.

...to add just a bit of historical clarity to this thread in case some one in the future should read said thread...there has been some limited n uninformed discussion concerning the orientation of the coins from this set in re to the certification holder... the coins r correctly presented in the holders as they were originally intended to be, the front of the holder has the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America logo n the coins in their proper alignment, the reverse of the holder has the label insert...this orientation n also the color of the core (black) was only used for a brief period, approx 6 weeks, before being changed to the more familiar orientation n white core...one additional fact is that these black core holders often bring premiums of $3000-$4000 or more each....

On 7/26/2023 at 1:19 PM, zadok said:

...to add just a bit of historical clarity.... this orientation n also the color of the core (black) was only used for a brief period, approx 6 weeks, before being changed to the more familiar orientation n white core....

Historical clarification only serves to validate my position.  This much-vaunted numismatic fraternity -- the one I cherish because it accepted me as a member -- experienced birthing pains and the brief burp alluded to was corrected and then followed by 37 years of stellar success.  Man I love this place!

On 7/21/2023 at 2:11 PM, FlyingAl said:

A four paragraph description from GC is practically unheard of. They usually let million dollar coins sell without a single word of description. 

I still don't get that.  HA has pages of descriptives on their 6 and 7-figure coins.  GC has 1-3 sentences. :o

On 7/26/2023 at 10:32 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I still don't get that.  HA has pages of descriptives on their 6 and 7-figure coins.  GC has 1-3 sentences. :o

They're letting the coins speak for themselves, which makes sense. They also don't have the staff like Heritage. 

We also don't need to get into the frequent errors HA auction descriptions have. 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:04 AM, FlyingAl said:

They're letting the coins speak for themselves, which makes sense....

Now that we've been apprised of the premium values these old holders command, the worn-out refrain, "Buy the coin and not the holder," has been turned on its head. Holders... what a bunch of hooey!

:news:  

I have just had the great misfortune of seeing a photo of the very first coin encapsulated by [an acronym a prominent member has chosen to dismissively refer to as "that four-letter word."]

I believe the site coinnews.net, or some such, and the coin was a Washington quarter. (I didn't loiter long enough to find out because I sensed Dena's presence) :roflmao:

And guess what? The TPGS' very first coin was entombed, in 1985, sideways.  SIDEWAYS!  If anyone can summon up the intestinal fortitude to justify that, with a straight face, I am all ears.  

Edited by Henri Charriere
Additional info/correct typo

Bo Derek was a "10"....guess she was graded on that new NGC scale !! xD