• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin evaluators
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

To my knowledge acquired over 52 years of involvement in numismatics, there is no such person as a "licensed . . . coin assessor". While laws may vary from state to state, one can generally become a coin dealer who may conduct appraisals with standard business licenses for retail trade and no particular credentials.  The list of dealers referred to by @Greenstang is of dealers whom NGC has authorized to accept submissions of coins from the public for NGC authentication and grading. 

It would help in making a recommendation if you could explain why you are seeking professional assistance.  The best-known and probably most experienced dealer in the Washington, D.C. area is probably Julian Leidman (Bonanza Coins) of Silver Spring, Maryland. See his website at www.juliancoin.com for more information. Mr. Leidman is a member of the Professional Numismatists Guild (PNG), a selective organization of coin dealers that requires its members to meet certain financial and ethical standards. You can find other PNG member dealers at www.pngdealers.org.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, Carawl said:

licensed and NGC coin assessors

THERE IS NO SUCH THING! ANYWHERE THAT I KNOW OF.

I also have never heard of a licensed coin assessor much less an NGC one. I do not believe any NGC employees are doing grading as a "side job" either as I am sure that would violate the company standards and cause their reputation to come under scrutiny.

There are many highly knowledgeable members on this forum of which you are free to submit clear, cropped photos of the coins in question, one coin at a time per topic, and ask whatever questions you have about them. 

Edited by powermad5000

On 7/18/2023 at 3:34 PM, RWB said:

Try Julian Leidman at Bonanza Coins, Silver Spring, MD.

juliancoin.com

940 Wayne Ave,
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910-4428,

Julian is highly qualified, but there is no such thing as formal qualifications or licensing. People need to be aware of that. This is a field of amateurs and charlatans primarily. Julian is an extreme counter example. He’s the real deal.

Full disclosure: In my Numismatic Theater talk at Rosemont in 2011, I opened with a quote from Julian Leidman that was 100% utter hogwash and I knew it was. Even the good ones can't bat 1.000.

Edited by VKurtB

Andy Skrabalak  Woodbridge Va.  703-580-6969 one of the best with small denominations. Cents. nickels,  2 cent , 3 cent, dimes, and quarters 

On 7/19/2023 at 8:29 AM, JT2 said:

Andy Skrabalak  Woodbridge Va.  703-580-6969 one of the best with small denominations. Cents. nickels,  2 cent , 3 cent, dimes, and quarters 

One of the best. Nickels are also a specialty. He helped a friend of mine assemble a massively high end set of Matte Proof Buffalo nickels. My friend didn't hang onto them long. He turned a very nice profit on them. One coin was bought in PCGS plastic, sent for conservation at Andy's suggestion, and gained several points. BIIIIIG profit. Carl now does numismatic literature, and is giving a Money Talk at Pittsburgh on Charles Steigerwalt.

Getting appraisals by some of these giants in the field ain't gonna be cheap, however. It's better to get to a local coin club first, and get recommendations there. But you have to be careful EVERYWHERE. There is a past-president of the Red Rose Coin Club who puts himself out as an appraiser, but then tries to buy everything for himself at ultra lowball numbers. Creep!

Edited by VKurtB