• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this worth submitting?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @Ghostwiththemost$, thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, NGC can't really advise you on if your coins are worth sending in for grading. That is up to the individual and why you want them graded.  Some people have them graded with the intent just to sell the coins.  Others have them graded just because they want to protect them in the holder and don't really have any interest in selling them or the value of the coin.  If your intent is to sell them, then you'd want to compare the cost of joining and getting the coin graded versus what you could get for the coin raw.  You'd have to either check online to get an idea of what that type of coin sells for or have them appraised by a currency dealer. Kindly keep in mind that NGC does not buy, sell, or value coins.

If you do choose to send the coins for grading, you will need to determine a declared value for each coin.  The value we ask you for is an insurance value, a number you would feel comfortable with in terms of a replacement value if your item was lost or damaged while with us. Each tier of service covers up to a maximum specified insurance level and you must choose a tier of service that will accommodate the declared value for your item.  Services and Fees | NGC.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Based on what I can see in your somewhat blurry photos, your 1926-S Lincoln cent should grade XF 40 to 45 and at best would grade in the low AU range, with retail values for these grades ranging from $30 to $80. The coin also has a deep nick on the reverse that could result in a "Details" grade. In my opinion the coin isn't in any case worth the $23 "Economy" tier grading fee, much less the $10 per order processing and $28 per order return shipping fees, plus your own shipping cost. Coins of this value are best collected and displayed in a nice modern Whitman or Dansco album. 

The only Lincoln cent I've ever removed from my album to submit to NGC is the 1909-S V.D.B., which has a longer but much shallower reverse blemish than your 1926-S. NGC graded it "XF Details, Reverse Scratched".  

As NGC doesn't give free grading opinions, you should post inquiries like these in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum.

1926-S is a better date for the Lincoln wheat series and tougher to find nice than many think.   There looks to be some luster left so I think a low AU grade is possible, however, you would need for it to grade as least AU58 or better to be worth the costs which from your photos I do not see happening.   These sell in a tight price range at auctions of $50 to$80 in the grades of XF40 to AU55 for certified examples so you would be spending almost that much to have it graded.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/12/2023 at 3:59 PM, Coinbuf said:

1926-S is a better date for the Lincoln wheat series and tougher to find nice than many think.   There looks to be some luster left so I think a low AU grade is possible, however, you would need for it to grade as least AU58 or better to be worth the costs which from your photos I do not see happening.   These sell in a tight price range at auctions of $50 to$80 in the grades of XF40 to AU55 for certified examples so you would be spending almost that much to have it graded.

Ya, my photos are awful I know. In real life it looks much better lol. Could be worth a shot I think. Definitely not terrible for finding in a roll of circulated pennies from the bank. The wheat even have all their lines. I feel like I'm wasting yalls time, but it's definitely in better shape than the cell phone photos show. I appreciate your input! Would it be BR, BR or RD???

Very nice find in a circ roll for sure, not wasting our time just remember that we cannot see the coin only the photos you supply.    The better the photos the better the opinions.  ;)   From these photos I can only see it grading as BN.   Should you decide to submit please come back and update with the grade it receives, I've been collecting copper for 40 years so I'm always interested to see how my prediction does against the grading room.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:24 PM, Coinbuf said:

Very nice find in a circ roll for sure, not wasting our time just remember that we cannot see the coin only the photos you supply.    The better the photos the better the opinions.  ;)   From these photos I can only see it grading as BN.   Should you decide to submit please come back and update with the grade it receives, I've been collecting copper for 40 years so I'm always interested to see how my prediction does against the grading room.

I will do that! Thank you!

I think a grade of AU50 is possible, but I doubt it would go higher than that. I also believe it would be a BN. As for the reverse, I am not sure on it getting a details grade without having the coin in hand. A scratch will get a details grade as was the case in @Sandon's 1909 S VDB. A ding however will not get you a details grade but lowers the numerical grade. That on the reverse of your coin could only be determined with the coin in hand.

You would have to decide for yourself if it is worth the money to have it graded. If you do, please revisit this thread because most of us in the forum are always curious to know the results.