• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending coins to CAC stickering
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I have coins that I personally think are very nice for the grade . If / When possible I rather not completely waste money . How do I select coins to send in ? There's no CAC associated dealers near me . 

On 7/7/2023 at 3:34 PM, Ohnoimbroke said:

I have coins that I personally think are very nice for the grade . If / When possible I rather not completely waste money . How do I select coins to send in ? There's no CAC associated dealers near me . 

Post them here and ask the experts which ones are worth betting on.  That's what I would do.

And yeah, you need to submit through a dealer or a CAC-authorized person as I understand it...not like submitting to PCGS or NGC directly.

You can only submit to CAC if you yourself are an authorized collector submitter or thru an authorized CAC dealer.   And in case you are wondering CAC is not currently and has not been accepting new collector members for several years.   You will have to find a collector friend who has submission ability or work with the closest dealer which from what you are saying would have to be done via email/phone and entail extra shipping costs.

Does anyone know if having a CAC sticker on your slab gets any much significantly higher of a premium for the coin versus not having the sticker? 

On 7/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, Sandon said:

It doesn't matter to CAC whether you or I may think that an NGC or PCGS certified coin is very nice for the grade.  It matters only that John Albanese and those whom he employs at CAC think that the coin is nice for the grade.  If you think that your already third-party graded coins are nice for their assigned grade, why would you need CAC to validate your opinion for additional effort and expense?   If you think that CAC stickers have any real significance, it might be more economical and convenient to buy certified coins that already bear a CAC sticker.

True Sandon...at the same time, he does believe he has some certified coins that are worthy of CAC status.  Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.  Apparently, he wants to give it a shot (I presume for the 1st time).

On 7/8/2023 at 12:40 AM, powermad5000 said:

Does anyone know if having a CAC sticker on your slab gets any much significantly higher of a premium for the coin versus not having the sticker? 

Depends on what the next higher grade is price-wise ! xD 

Getting a CAC on an MS-62 or even MS-63 1927 Saint is not going to mean much, maybe $100 give-or-take because that's at most what happens if your coin were to be graded 1 increment higher.  So $100 or 5% of the price -- not alot.

OTOH....if you have an MS-66 1927 Saint and it CAC stickers, you can expect a price jump of a few thousand dollars because an MS-67 might cost $15,000 or more whereas a plain MS-66 is probably going to run you $4,000 or so.

It depends on the price jump to the next highest grade both in absolute and percentage terms. (thumbsu

On 7/7/2023 at 9:40 PM, powermad5000 said:

As it always does it depends on the coin, in some cases a CAC green bean can bring thousands, even tens of thousands over a non CAC coin.   And then some coins might get ten, twenty, or no bump in price, it really just depends on the coin and where on the grading scale you are talking about.   I can say with confidence that a gold bean will almost always bring a much higher price, I have seen MS65 coins with a gold bean sell for more than an MS68 graded coin, the gold bean market is hot!

On 7/8/2023 at 1:09 AM, Coinbuf said:

I can say with confidence that a gold bean will almost always bring a much higher price, I have seen MS65 coins with a gold bean sell for more than an MS68 graded coin, the gold bean market is hot!

Do you recall what coin series that was for ?

It also shows that the value of the (gold) bean is worth MORE than any possible 1 or 2 grade increments given to the coin.  I think now folks want the beans -- because CAC apparently will be stopping that in the (near) future -- and will pay up for MORE than what even an optimistic grade upgrade could bring for the coin. (thumbsu

On 7/8/2023 at 1:21 AM, powermad5000 said:

Thanks @GoldFinger1969 and @Coinbuf! Now I know. Then I guess it really does depend on what the OP has that he would like to get stickered.

It's also possible he's not doing it for $$$ reasons, but just to see how his coins grade out....if his opinion of them being "strong for the grade" is matched by CAC and JA.....and also because he might not be able to do it in a few years when CAC stickering is finished and they concentrate solely on grading. (thumbsu

On 7/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Do you recall what coin series that was for ?

I cannot recall which coin(s) I saw that went over the MS68 pricing, but the one that comes to my mind instantly is a 1935 Lincoln graded by PCGS MS65RD that sold on ebay for $1650.   A 35 in 65RD lists for $40 per the current PCGS guide, $550 in 67+, and $9,500 in 68, although that $9,500 number is a fantasy as there as not been any recent auctions for a 68 that have been anywhere near that high.   But still in this case the coin sold for three times the price of a 67+ and about half(ish) the price of a 68, and fwiw this is the only 1935 Lincoln that has a gold bean pop 1/0 at CAC.   It is a really nice coin and would have brought a premium price but no way in the world that coin sells for that amount without the gold bean.

It is important to keep in mind that there are very few Lincoln cents with a gold bean, currently 45 in all color designations, other series where gold beans are more common (for lack of a better word), like Merc dimes, the premiums are not quite as high.

On 7/8/2023 at 4:46 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A speculative question. 

Would coins with CAC beans fall in value if they are dropped from the PCGS & NGC registries due to NGC & PCGS loosing access to CAC populations? 

While I'm mostly guessing I think that the prices will not be affected that much if at all for the coins that folks agree are the "A" coins.   The "B" coins, those that are seen as only solid for the grade will likely be impacted more, keeping in mind that I'm invested with the CAC sticker so my view might be biased.   In my opinion most of the coins I have seen with a sticker are really nice coins, coins that would/will sell for a premium bean or no.   So from that perspective I think the market will continue to place a higher value on beans for the foreseeable future registry points or not.

The sister question to yours is what happens to the market values for beaned coins once the stickering operation is shut down for good.   Lots of speculation on that aspect as well with many feeling that the prices will move higher (some have said sharply higher) once that happens.   I am also in that camp as once it is done there can be no more and over time a coin with a bean will be like an old TPG holder and create its own market.

Is now a good time to promote my new sticker-ing collection?  Just send me $29.95 and i will send back a couple of sheets of stickers.  I have an assortment of colors of your choosing.  green, gold, blue for those with toning, red for those cleaned one!!  If you act now i will throw in an additional sheet at no extra cost.  just add an extra $199.00 for shipping and handling!!!

On 7/11/2023 at 3:10 PM, Sandon said:

If I find your coin to be overgraded, I will crack it out of the holder and return it to you in a "body bag" with my grade written on the grading service tag.

What if you found my coin to be undergraded or not properly described?

On 7/11/2023 at 10:33 PM, powermad5000 said:

What if you found my coin to be undergraded or not properly described?

You get a Certificate of Appreciation also known as an Attaboy.