• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade of ANACS graded coi
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have several older graded coins by ANACS… will the coins have the proper amount of details as required by the NGC Coin grading service… I guess what I mean do the coins USUALLY retain their grade… I know several other services that do not and not mentioned here… if anyone could help that would be great…

Before you submit any coins to grading services, it is important for you to become knowledgeable and experienced in grading coins yourself. Those who are successful in obtaining the same or higher grades on coins that were previously certified (sometimes derisively referred to as "crack-out artists") only submit coins that they have good reason to believe will "cross" or upgrade. Some of the coins in the old, small sized white insert ANACS holders were very conservatively graded by today's standards, but you would still need grading knowledge to determine which, if any, might be worthwhile to submit to NGC. (These old holders may become collector's items in their own right.) The quality of grading in the later, current size holders varies in my experience.

This article by Jeff Garrett, a highly experienced coin dealer, gives generally good advice on submitting coins to grading services, including the pitfalls of attempts at crossovers and "crack-outs".

Jeff Garrett: The Art of Rare Coin Submissions | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Thank you all for your thoughts… I am in no way trying to get a higher grade… the only thing I am trying to do is get my coins in some semblance of order in one grading company and NGC or PNGC seems to be the two most trusted… I sent coins to be graded by the other company because they were less expensive… I am just trying to make it easier for my family but also would like to keep the same grades of the coins… again, thanks for all your imput…

On 7/6/2023 at 10:04 PM, ottoabc said:

Thank you all for your thoughts… I am in no way trying to get a higher grade… the only thing I am trying to do is get my coins in some semblance of order in one grading company and NGC or PNGC seems to be the two most trusted… I sent coins to be graded by the other company because they were less expensive… I am just trying to make it easier for my family but also would like to keep the same grades of the coins… again, thanks for all your imput…

I’m a little confused here do you have the older small white ANACS holders ? Or are they in the Yellow/blue labeled style ANACS holders ? In my opinion the yellow/blue labeled stuff from ANACS is a 50/50 shot if that grade is accurate or not they tend to over grade a point or more not saying ANACS is bad I notice they also tend to detail a lot coins not that PCGS/NGC won’t but a lot people send cheaper lower problem value coins to ANACS for grading they aren’t really worth the merit or time and expenses sending them to NGC or PCGS paying high submission fees to have coins graded ….

However the old small White ANACS stuff is pretty conservative on grading they may have a chance of upgrading at PCGS/NGC on todays market again I won’t send a coin in unless it’s worth at least $150+ or more to be evaluated and encapsulated by NGC/PCGS (A lot of coins just aren’t worth hassle sending in for grading the market already has plenty of the coins already graded) we leave them in raw condition in 2x2 or air-tite snaps , dansco album or in their old graded holders and call it a day either that or trade/sell them for better coins … I wouldn’t buy a bunch ANACS coins then shell out more money to have them Regraded by NGC/PCGS I would lose money there , that I could use to buy other coins for my collection ….

Only exception I would make unless the coin is Hot on the market in demand it’s in an old white ANACS holder and I plan to sell it ? I would crack it out and send it in to PCGS/NGC have them grade it wait for for the results to come back that only if I intent to sell it right away which I rarely ever sell any of my coins once I buy them I keep them for loooooong time just the way they are… so in meantime you got something to think about , my advice is show us some pictures on here we’ll let you know if it’s even worth sending into PCGS/NGC you’ll thank us for helping you save money 

On 7/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, ottoabc said:

the only thing I am trying to do is get my coins in some semblance of order in one grading company and NGC or PNGC seems to be the two most trusted

I hope that you made a typo and meant PCGS not PNGC, I have never heard of any grading company, legit or otherwise, named PNGC.   Yes it is true that in general you have a better chance of getting higher bids for NGC or PCGS graded coins vs ANACS in an auction.   Having said that, the type and generation of the ANACS holder really does matter and could make a big difference in an auction realized price.   If you have any of the very old ANA holders that have the gold foil hologram on the back I strongly suggest that you do not have those put into new holders, those along with the photo certificate style of ANACS holders, are very sought after.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:04 PM, ottoabc said:

I sent coins to be graded by the other company because they were less expensive

Not a great choice, as it all turns out.

This is a sample size of one guy's experience and therefore NOT STATISTICALLY RELIABLE, but I have now had (for myself and club mates) a total of 16 coins from other services re-done by NGC. 7 were PCGS, 7 were old small ANACS "soap bars", and 2 were ICG. Absolutely every one of those 16 coins came back from NGC with the EXACT SAME GRADE as the previous service had it graded. All that said, IT STILL CONTAINS SOME RISK. Some coins are just graded wrong. None of my 16 (including a well circulated 1893-S Morgan) looked wrong. The owner, whether me or a friend, just wanted them in NGC slabs for a consistent look for a set or exhibit.