• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A New Side Collection - Civil War Store Card Tokens (any advice)

16 posts in this topic

am dedicated to my Half Cent Collection, but was looking for something to do on the side because the coins left in my set are all expensive and hard to find. My goal was to find a side collection that is historical, interesting, but would not become so expensive that it competes in budget with the Half Cents. After a lot of consideration, I landed on Civil War Store Tokens.

So far I have...
1. Ordered the Fuld Book on Store Cards
2. Joined the Civil War Token Society
3. Ordered every book that the CWTS offered as a promo to members
4. Started reading CWTS publications on the NNP
5. Found two dealers who specialize in Tokens - Steve Hayden and Cole Hendrikson

Here is what I need to do:

1. Build a target list of preliminary tokens that I like
  2. Build-out pricing budget by coin
  3. Start buying tokens.
  4. Join the Token and Medal Society (TAMS)

Here are my problems/questions:
1. Where do I find reliable pricing data for tokens?
2. Where are the other specialty dealers to locate material?
3. Are there additional online resources for tokens? Other great books?
4. Who are the token experts here on the boards for me to read-up on their posts?

Any advice from the experts in this area would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Hayden has good stuff, I've bought a few tokens from him and he auctions a lot of tokens on ebay

Will you be limiting your collection to a region? State? City?

Unfortunately, I don't collect Civil War Store Cards per se, so I won't be much help in your quest. Tokens are a fabulous way to spend time while waiting for the right coins and/or notes to show up. Good luck! (thumbsu

On 7/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Will you be limiting your collection to a region? State? City?

Mike - I am really not sure how I would approach this.  The OCD part of me wants to do just what you described.  However, with all of my sets being so regimented, it may be nice to have something that is a numismatic free spirit (going against my personality).  Maybe start with a "box of 20" with my favorite designs?  I really have no idea how I will organize this (or even start).  I am not considering this collection a "set" per se, because there is no way I can own them all...so, this is a never-ending side project.  I am hoping that someone will see my thread and give me a few pointers.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Tokens are a fabulous way to spend time while waiting for the right coins and/or notes to show up. Good luck! (thumbsu

Thanks.  I gave this more thought than any normal person should.  My first side project was proof Mercury Dimes, and I loved it.  I felt like I was collecting something with some rarity "on the cheap," and the set came together much faster than I expected (It is only 7 coins after all - I would recommend this set to anyone).  When I got close to completing the Mercs, I started thinking about my next side project.  I asked around, and got lots of feedback... but everything felt too expensive, or too boring and easy.  

Eventually, I made my way to tokens and started looking at Conder tokens.  I like Conder tokens... they are old, nice-sized, have nice artwork, and are affordable.  But, they lacked the "American feel" that went with the rest of my collection.  Hard Times tokens were another area of consideration, and I am sure I will pick-up some as I go along (especially the Half Cent Token).  The subject matter and style of these tokens are super interesting.

I decided on the Civil War Store Cards for one reason... they answer a question I ask myself on all coins "Where has it been in it's life?"  Unlike other coins/tokens, store cards tell you exactly where they come from.  They give me the opportunity not only to learn about the tokens and die sinkers that made them, but also the companies that had them made and distributed them to the public.  Frederick MIller's WI Store Card is some of the earliest advertising for the Miller Beer Company, but how many companies have changed names and hands that still exist today?  I find all of this fascinating, and it makes me feel closer to understanding the people of the time period.

On 7/5/2023 at 2:26 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Mike - I am really not sure how I would approach this.  The OCD part of me wants to do just what you described.  However, with all of my sets being so regimented, it may be nice to have something that is a numismatic free spirit (going against my personality).  Maybe start with a "box of 20" with my favorite designs?  I really have no idea how I will organize this (or even start).  I am not considering this collection a "set" per se, because there is no way I can own them all...so, this is a never-ending side project.  I am hoping that someone will see my thread and give me a few pointers.

Thanks.  I gave this more thought that any normal person should.  My first side project was proof Mercury Dimes, and I loved it.  I felt like I was collecting something with some rarity "on the cheap," and the set came together much faster than I expected (It is only 7 coins after all - I would recommend this set to anyone).  When I got close to completing the Mercs, I started thinking about my next side project.  I asked around, and got lots of feedback... but everything felt too expensive, or too boring and easy.  

Eventually, I made my way to tokens and started looking at Conder tokens.  I like Conder tokens... they are old, nice-sized, have nice artwork, and are affordable.  But, they lacked the "American feel" that went with the rest of my collection.  Hard Times tokens were another area of consideration, and I am sure I will pick-up some as I go along (especially the Half Cent Token).  The subject matter and style of these tokens are super interesting.

I decided on the Civil War Store Cards for one reason... they answer a question I ask myself on all coins "Where has it been in it's life?"  Unlike other coins/tokens, store cards tell you exactly where they come from.  They give me the opportunity not only to learn about the tokens and die sinkers that made them, but also the companies that had them made and distributed them to the public.  Frederick MIller's WI Store Card is some of the earliest advertising for the Miller Beer Company, but how many companies have changed names and hands that still exist today?  I find all of this fascinating, and it makes me feel closer to understanding the people of the time period.

...i guess the first question to ask is..."collect them certified or not?"...since u mentioned "box" im assuming ur going certified?...if not id buy a blank dansco album or two n several blank pages of the proper mm size openings just in case they should go back into hibernation etc....

On 7/5/2023 at 3:29 PM, zadok said:

...i guess the first question to ask is..."collect them certified or not?"...since u mentioned "box" im assuming ur going certified?...if not id buy a blank dansco album or two n several blank pages of the proper mm size openings just in case they should go back into hibernation etc....

Ah this is such a tough one for me.  There are literally thousands of different tokens, and I assume many have not been certified. I would hate to miss out on a large subset of tokens by considering certified only examples.  However, in MS condition, I have trouble finding them raw, and the price differentials between MS raw and slabbed examples seems to be small (which would push me to graded examples if the price was equal).  I have certainly thought about the blank Dansco.

This is where I would really like to talk to some token experts, and get their take.  I have not bought any tokens yet... I am just studying and trying to better understand that area before I move in.

If you live in a region where store cards were heavily used, I suggest starting with local ones. The resell value locally can be considerable. Buy local ones non-locally, but then sell locally. 

Edited by VKurtB

Go ahead and get a copy of The Standard Catalogue of United States Tokens 1700-1900 by Russel Rulau (Whitman Publishing). If you start collecting and researching store cards, you will eventually need to look up something that isn't in the Fuld book. A 4th edition (2004) will set you back about $200 or so, but you can find a 3rd edition (1991 I think) for around $15. (Yes, $15. That is not a typo.) It has over 1000 pages of pictures and information.

Thanks Mike.  I liked this one right away.  I still have no idea how to effectively price these tokens, but hopefully I am not killing myself as I go.  That's something I guess I will learn in time :)

On 7/7/2023 at 8:22 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Thanks Mike.  I liked this one right away.  I still have no idea how to effectively price these tokens, but hopefully I am not killing myself as I go.  That's something I guess I will learn in time :)

...best way is just keep watching the most recent auctions with store cards n tokens, stacks-bowers n heritage have had some big tokens auctions this year they will give u the most current pricing....

On 7/6/2023 at 8:11 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I ordered my first token tonight.  I don't have it in hand yet (obviously).  Seller's pics:

IN 460N-1a R.5

image.thumb.png.a0d8a1a8b461a7a0b0b2ed1623544416.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-06 at 8.10.53 PM.png

If I were going to collect store cards, this is exactly the kind of token I would go for. Interesting, ornate, or unusual pictures, designs, or lettering are very appealing and can form a collection that anyone would enjoy viewing.

Yup, I agree with the above, but using the TAMS Price Guide, the CWTS Price List, or auction websites is a great idea. Also, I wanna bring up the topic of specialty dealers who sell Civil War Store Tokens, like John J. Ford and Jr., Michael Hodder. I am a student at the University of History and do many tasks about such topics. https://edubirdie.com/do-my-assignment is one of the sources that I use to get the best grades and knowledge. I ask experts to do my assignment. Therefore, you may find the academic information about the Civil War that you need.

Edited by bivirli