• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Currency
1 1

12 posts in this topic

A serial number 1 could be worth around $1,500 give or take. The estimated number to have survived is on the low side but the condition is not great, 85% of the value is in the serial number for this note, it's a tough call as to what it may go for at auction.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 7/5/2023 at 6:13 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

A serial number 1 could be worth around $1,500 give or take. The estimated number to have survived is on the low side but the condition is not great, 85% of the value is in the serial number for this note, it's a tough call as to what it may go for at auction.

He should check some comps for higher SN's in similar or ballpark condition as this one.  That should give him a good guestimate. (thumbsu

On 7/5/2023 at 2:04 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

He should check some comps for higher SN's in similar or ballpark condition as this one.  That should give him a good guestimate. (thumbsu

Absolutely, but serial number 1 has a value all its own. You're not comparing apples to apples unless you're looking at other serial number 1 notes. It didn't look like NBNs from that bank were exceptionally rare, on the lower side though, so I don't think the issuing bank adds much. 

On 7/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Absolutely, but serial number 1 has a value all its own. You're not comparing apples to apples unless you're looking at other serial number 1 notes. It didn't look like NBNs from that bank were exceptionally rare, on the lower side though, so I don't think the issuing bank adds much. 

"1" is so rare -- there's only one "1" xD and none lower/better -- so it could jack the value.

On 7/5/2023 at 4:04 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

"1" is so rare -- there's only one "1" xD and none lower/better -- so it could jack the value.

I don't think the TPGs label serial #1s like this but technically it's a binary and low serial number note. Double fancy. xD  The note in the OP with a standard serial number is probably $200, maybe less, the serial number absolutely increases the value. 

rucoy-highlander.gif......#1

The graffiti on the upper left face would be noted as pencil/pen if graded, assuming it was done with pencil or pen, if it was legible it would be noted as an annotation. The stain going through the charter number on the left face would also be noted, how either the graffiti or stain got there. (shrug) I'd put the note at VF20-25, no Q (paper not original). Unfortunately, someone folded it up like an accordion. :(

On 7/6/2023 at 1:37 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Unfortunately, someone folded it up like an accordion.

That's unfortunate. Can someone play polkas on this accordion fiver? Maybe the famous "Too Fat Polka" by the polka master, Frankie Yankovic ? [Link -- if you dare !  ]

Edited by RWB

I'm no paper currency expert but I would say the value of the note lies solely in the serial number as @Fenntucky Mike stated. Despite any of its flaws, if a hardcore paper collector was putting together sets of 01 serial numbers, you would have to buy this note despite its condition. I think if the OP were looking to sell it, there would be no way to determine what a flat amount would be. This would have to be sold at an auction.