• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Post
1 1

18 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2023 at 2:30 AM, powermad5000 said:

Interesting. I did not know the mintage was so low on the 2009 D nickels. Now I have another coin to look for...lol!

Yes it is low, and the 2009 P is lower at 39,840,000 , both of these nickels are very hard to find roll hunting. I had two empty slots in my blue book for a long time. I picked up this 2009 P at a shop outside of Charlette NC for $3. I find that is the average price for BU coins almost everywhere I go. This is a strong MS66FS in my opinion and if it was graded on a sunny Friday afternoon after a long liquid lunch it may get a 67 if everyone was happy. ..LoL.. I never send in coins anyway. I buy coins other people have spent money on to have graded. It will be in the blue book if anyone needs it .

2009 P Raw.jpg

2009 P Raw Reverse.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 7/4/2023 at 7:53 AM, J P M said:

I picked up this 2009 P at a shop outside of Charlette NC for $3. I find that is the average price for BU coins almost everywhere I go.

Buying raw coins again?  I just fell out of my chair (again)!  (:

On 7/4/2023 at 2:31 PM, EagleRJO said:

Buying raw coins again?  I just fell out of my chair (again)!  (:

lol   I buy graded coins for the registry sets I am building but everything else that I like would be raw. I know, kinda hard to believe. I have a bunch of raw ASE's. Every year from 1986 to 2023 and a few extras. Some British and Canadian bullion. I can't help it Eagle. I even have a bunch of proof and mint sets in paper envelops. I apologize for being so unpredictable.:roflmao:   

Be careful with these! The 2009 nickels in the matte finish, from the Uncirculated Set, are not worth a premium. Only the ones from the circulation strike, but still really nice, are worth any premium. The dimes also, but a little less so. 

On 7/7/2023 at 6:42 PM, VKurtB said:

Be careful with these! The 2009 nickels in the matte finish, from the Uncirculated Set, are not worth a premium. Only the ones from the circulation strike, but still really nice, are worth any premium. The dimes also, but a little less so. 

Yes this 2009 P is the circulation strike or what I always called Business Strike. The others are the ones they call SMS strikes with the matt finish. Those are not that easy to get either.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:13 PM, J P M said:

Yes this 2009 P is the circulation strike or what I always called Business Strike. The others are the ones they call SMS strikes with the matt finish. Those are not that easy to get either.

More in 2009 than in a normal year. The special cents in the non-Zincoln alloy were in the Uncirculated Sets that year and boosted sales. 

Just makes me wonder how many circulation strike 2009 P and D nickels I possibly let slip through my fingers when they first came out....smh

On 7/7/2023 at 11:43 PM, powermad5000 said:

Just makes me wonder how many circulation strike 2009 P and D nickels I possibly let slip through my fingers when they first came out....smh

I have read that a ridiculous percentage of circulation strike 2009-P nickels went into the banking systems of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The only confirmation I can offer is a past co-worker who is Puerto Rican traveled “back home” and returned with several of them. The only one I ever got from commerce was given in change by a vending machine in my hotel in Baltimore, during a Whitman coin show.

Edited by VKurtB

Dont know if i done good or bad but, I bought both the 2009 P and D cut out of the uncirculated sets for $8.00. Thats the cheapest I could find them. Ive had no luck finding them in change or rolls.  They are in great shape where they are still in the plastic OGP bubbles. Would share a picture but they still wont post. Dont know what happend. Never had no trouble before. When I go to add a picture it takes me straight to the home page. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Dont know if i done good or bad but, I bought both the 2009 P and D cut out of the uncirculated sets for $8.00. Thats the cheapest I could find them. Ive had no luck finding them in change or rolls.  They are in great shape where they are still in the plastic OGP bubbles. Would share a picture but they still wont post. Dont know what happend. Never had no trouble before. When I go to add a picture it takes me straight to the home page. 

To me, the ones from the uncirculated set are NOT THE SAME COIN! This is true of EVERY U.S. Uncirculated Set coin from 2005-2010. If I don't have BOTH the Matte AND the Circulation strike, I still have a missing coin.

On 7/12/2023 at 12:03 PM, VKurtB said:

To me, the ones from the uncirculated set are NOT THE SAME COIN! This is true of EVERY U.S. Uncirculated Set coin from 2005-2010. If I don't have BOTH the Matte AND the Circulation strike, I still have a missing coin.

Im still out the circulation strikes for my album. Hope I can eventually find them. Anyone know right off how many of the Matte were minted? 

On 7/12/2023 at 12:53 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Anyone know right off how many of the Matte were minted? 

As I recall, the only source of "matte finish" 2009 coins is the 2009 uncirculated coin ("mint" set), which per the "Red Book" had a distribution of 784,614 sets. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Never had no trouble before. When I go to add a picture it takes me straight to the home page.

I noticed a recent small change to the NGC home page so they must have done some website upgrading, and I am guessing there are a few "bugs" in it that need to be worked out.

Yup. Doing circulation finds, 2009 can “nickel and dime” you to death. The cents were special, and the quarters were the Territory types. Buy rolls of Kennedy halves if you find them.