• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Lincoln cent
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone I'm new here and I have a silly question; thanks in advance to whomever responds...

Why on today's modern Lincoln pennies do all the letters look doubled???

IMG_20230703_125339.jpg

IMG_20230703_125507.jpg

Edited by Melani616

Welcome to the forum, and not a silly question at all considering the huge number of new people that post here who are confused by this very thing.   There are actually several causes for effects that look like your example. as greenstang wrote your coin looks to be from worn dies, but this fake doubling or ghosting of the lettering and devices can also come from strike doubling and in the case of the zinc core copper coated modern cents something called split plate doubling.   All of these are generally common and the product of poor quality control vs any type of real error.

It is important to remember that coinage for circulation is produced at high speed in immense quantity, the US mint is a production factory and coins for circulation do not have to be perfect to fulfill their intended purpose.

It's not silly. For someone without much background in coins, it's a completely natural question. Stang and Buf offer likely explanations. In 1982, when the penny's composition changed, it really exposed flaws in the process in my opinion.

Welcome, and there are no silly questions in the pursuit of knowledge.

All things mentioned above combined, the Mint also is notorious for overusing dies to get the most strikes out of one set to keep their costs down. The effect you are seeing I agree is die deterioration doubling also known as die erosion doubling. In the modern high speed presses, there are also a lot of questions that come into this forum about coins that have die chips. This again is the Mint overusing sets of dies until they start to break. 

Welcome Melani616.  Another thing to be aware of is the fields on a lot of new coins are very mirrored. Light reflections can give a false look of doubling devices.

On 7/4/2023 at 2:41 AM, powermad5000 said:

All things mentioned above combined, the Mint also is notorious for overusing dies to get the most strikes out of one set to keep their costs down. 

Is a few extra dies really going to save much $$$ ?  How many coins do today's harder dies go before they need to be discarded?

It is not only the cost of the dies, it is also the lost production in down time changing the dies   
and readjusting the coining press to the new dies. I have read that when running one cent coins,   
they try to get runs of close to a million before changing the dies.  
Don’t forget the mint puts quantity or quality.

Edited by Greenstang
Correct spelling

On 7/3/2023 at 11:05 PM, Coinbuf said:

your coin looks to be from worn dies, but this ... can also come from strike doubling

Even more common with older coins with inferior metal used for dies, and where they beat the snot out of the dies to get their moneys worth.